PDA

View Full Version : Jetting Question...

Raptor
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Would there be any benefit in rejetting and an upgraded filter without upgrading exhaust?
I don't want to take the chance of the ticket with illegal cans so was wondering if the other steps will give enough improvement to make it worth the time. I know there won't be any major HP increase but how about smoother performance or efficiency?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

~Barn~
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
There would be, but performance would be mitigated, if you didn't do the whole-9. I say F' the worry about illegal pipes, and get whatever aftermarket system you're thinking of. That way, you get the most out of the kit, and the filter.

I mean you would have to be riding like a real dickface (in town no less), to draw the type of attention to yourself, that exhaust noise can cause.

DavidofColorado
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I would say that bikes run a little rich to begin with from the factory. So a new exhaust might even things out. But just rejetting might not to anything but make it bogg down.
I am thinking of cutting off my pipe at the muffler and have a turn down. I don't think it will be much louder.

Raptor
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The only reason I worry about the cans (and possible fine etc..) as much is for having a v-twin. Plus, for the bucks spent, it's a crap shoot. There's not much chance to hear in person just how loud different manufacturers will be. The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that D&D is not the way to evade cop attention.
A ton of Superhawk owners seem to prefer Jardine but I'm not too hype on the quality and look of them but apparently they sound good...so they write. lol
But yeah, I'll probably wind up going with the full set up of yet-to-be-determined make and not ride like a dickface.

@DOD - I'd never get away with no muffler. I see that now and then on in-lines but still can't imagine how it's not deafening.

That does answer my question though. Not much point in doing half the process.

Thanks and peace.

Gary

DavidofColorado
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 03:56 AM
I would wait to hear from others on this subject. It seems like I am missing something here.

Raptor
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 06:33 AM
I would wait to hear from others on this subject. It seems like I am missing something here.

Hope my last post wansn't too scattered...it was posted after a loooong day at work and about 3 hours of schoolwork.

Peace.

Gary

rybo
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Gary,

I disagree with DOD and have found that the bikes I've owned have been jetted too lean from the factory. I think there is a possibility of gains being made by jetting without changing the exhaust, but for street riding the results are probably not all that noticable unless you are having some specific problem. My ducati was set too lean from the factory and after having Ben Fox run it on his dyno and make a chip for it it behaved much better, especially in the on/off throttle response (which as you know, on a V-Twin can be a bit on the "notchy" and "abrupt" side). It was a good move for that bike and that throttle is smooth as butter now.

irdave
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
I don't know- between my motard and the KX250, I'd say jetting, regardless of anything else, is a pretty big deal.

But then again, I am a suspension guy...

vmax2003
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM
I just got my vmax back and i had a stage 0ne jet kit put it and it runs really nice now...lol

DavidofColorado
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Here is some information in case you haven't looked already.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rejetting+your+bike&btnG=Google+Search

Raptor
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Gary,

I disagree with DOD and have found that the bikes I've owned have been jetted too lean from the factory. I think there is a possibility of gains being made by jetting without changing the exhaust, but for street riding the results are probably not all that noticable unless you are having some specific problem. My ducati was set too lean from the factory and after having Ben Fox run it on his dyno and make a chip for it it behaved much better, especially in the on/off throttle response (which as you know, on a V-Twin can be a bit on the "notchy" and "abrupt" side). It was a good move for that bike and that throttle is smooth as butter now.

No real specific problem per se really. Just like you said, looking for 'smoother'. The abruptness has caught me off guard a couple times. I learned that if I have to adjust my seating or sneeze or something at a slow speed, better relax the throttle grip, that's for sure! The torque is sweet when I want it though. Maybe there's a perfect balance of torque and smoothness. If so, that's what I want.

I didn't check google in favor of getting more direct info here but it can't hurt I reckon.

Thanks again.

Gary

TFOGGuys
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM
In my experience, many bikes suffer from being too lean AND too rich at this altitude. Most of the time, they are too lean on the first 20-25% of throttle opening, run ok through the midrange, then are too rich for best power on the top. a well designed jet kit will change the shape of the fuel curve to something closer resembling the ideal, although anything you do to tune a carburettor is a compromise, as they are not very "smart". The Jardine slip ons for the Superhawk are quite loud at large throttle openings, but quite reasonable if you ride gently through town.

TFOGGuys
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Also some airbox mods for the Superhawk will help peak power, but you must install the K&N or BMC filter for it to work properly at that point...

DavidofColorado
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hey Raptor,
Is your bike running ok? It hasn't been sitting for a long time has it? Have you been riding it or at least running it regularly?

Raptor
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Raptor,
Is your bike running ok? It hasn't been sitting for a long time has it? Have you been riding it or at least running it regularly?

Oh yeah man, it's running just fine but it's 100% straight stock (except for some cosmetic mods). It's basically new. Being it's stock and uncrated at this altitude, I know there could be some fine tuning to sweeten things though.
It's garaged and I start it and run it weekly. I went for a ride last weekend and another week or two just before that.

DavidofColorado
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I say do the whole 9 yards than. Intake, jetting and exhaust if there is a kit that is engineered for it. James seems like the guy to ask too. He might even be able to do it for you. But I am not volunteering him for it (hes to busy working on my bike to be helping others).

FZRguy
Tue Mar 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I am thinking of cutting off my pipe at the muffler and have a turn down. I don't think it will be much louder.

Hey, great plan there Dave. :squid: BTW, without the backpressure of a muffler, it will run worse.

olds_cool
Tue Mar 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, great plan there Dave. :squid: BTW, without the backpressure of a muffler, it will run worse.

But wouldn't larger jets and modded airbox or a better air filter make up for that?

FZRguy
Tue Mar 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
No. CV carbs need vacuum to work properly. You go punching holes in your airbox and it may have a bad effect too. Go with a K&N in the stock box, a good slip on and go see Nick for a dyno run.

DavidofColorado
Wed Mar 5th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Back pressure is over rated. A good slip on takes care of that too.

olds_cool
Thu Mar 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't a straight pipe serve the same purpose? Why the hell are after market cans so damn expensive?

DavidofColorado
Thu Mar 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Because some people will pay it.

olds_cool
Thu Mar 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Because some people will pay it.

I hear ya. I think the prices are friggin' nuts! Anyway, so...wouldn't a straight pipe accomplish the same effect or better than the overpriced after market cans out there? Just curious...

DavidofColorado
Thu Mar 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM
yes. but if there is popping or loss of performance it need some back pressure. If you can free up the air flow it will help in the top end. IMHO. It works that way for cars anyway.