PDA

View Full Version : SV 650...The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

olds_cool
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hey, gang;

I'm thinking of getting an '01 Suzi SV650 and I want to know what you owner's think of the bike. I'd like the good, the bad and the ugly about it.

Any info you share would be greatly appreciated!

Filo
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, gang;

I'm thinking of getting an '01 Suzi SV650 and I want to know what you owner's think of the bike. I'd like the good, the bad and the ugly about it.

Any info you share would be greatly appreciated!

I bought mine new in 01 and I think it is a great bike. I have never been one for a bike with tons of power. I prefer good braking and handling. This one fit the bill. Plus it was cheap, which fit the bill too. It is a nice, all around bike, but not the fastest and not the sexiest. Insurance is really cheap too.

The bad would be it is a little underpowered and it has a fairly blah suspension compared to what comes "off the rack" these days. The seat tends to get a little hard on long trips. Also, it is carbureted, which these days is a little old school.

All in all, I really like this bike. Now, for the sales pitch. I am selling mine this spring. I rode it 400 miles last year because all my free time was spent with sumo.

64BonnieLass
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
I have an '05' SV650S. So mine is a little newer than what you are looking at (fuel injected).
But I love that bike with all my heart. I think it's a very attractive bike (although not nearly as sexy as the Ducati Tri Colore my heart pines for)
Filo is right in that it's not the fastest bike out there, but there is enough power to get you around in traffic and in the canyons. I'm not one to keep up with the fast kids anyway so this bike really suits me just fine.
It's a fairly light bike and easy to handle.
I think it's a great "middle weight" bike in both handling and $$, and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have much negative feedback to give you.
Although, why are you looking at the older model? Is it a $$ preference or do you just prefer the older models?

Devaclis
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM
Owned the same model SV650 you are looking at. I did not like it. Are you looking at this as a first bike or are you experienced? A lot of people like this bike on the track. On the street and through the canyons I did not like the twitchy throttle, hard deceleration due to back pressure, tall seat height, top heavy feel, foot pegs that were directly in the way when stopped on the bike and trying to locate my feet on the ground.

The good? gas mileage was nice, seat was comfortable, it was yellow.

I am sure my wife will have some comments for you as well. It was her bike.

Sortarican
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Owned the same model SV650 you are looking at. ...

I rode D's SV a bunch and it was (to be generous) a little squirrely on both engine braking/back pressure, suspension, and throttle.

But it should be pointed out that it had been modified quite a bit and may not have been very representative of a stock model.

konichd
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM
^^^A stock rear ZX10R shock is a bolt on upgrade I've seen a lot of SV owners doing (hence why they come to ZX10R.net to find rear shocks cheap). As luck would have it, I even have one for sale :)

Sortarican
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
..As luck would have it, I even have one for sale :)

Pimp.....

Filo
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I rode D's SV a bunch and it was (to be generous) a little squirrely on both engine braking/back pressure, suspension, and throttle.

But it should be pointed out that it had been modified quite a bit and may not have been very representative of a stock model.

Mine doesn't have any of those problems. The suspension is soft and squishy (because it is stock) but that is about it. Maybe Dana's SV modifications were done with Kawasaki parts? That would explain it being unridable and slow

:lol:

t_jolt
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe Dana's SV modifications were done with Kawasaki parts? That would explain it being unridable and slow

:spit:

Joecycle
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have to agree with the good comments are far as an awesome middleweight bike. The price matches the performance and reliability. I have no problem taking long trips on it, or playing in the canyons after work.

I have an 03 naked. 1st year of the new stiffer frame and fuel injection.

I recommend it. Not sure if you're looking for a 1st bike or what the purpose of it is though. That may or may not effect your decision.

asp_125
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I ride the 03 as well. The EFI makes it nicer to ride and hassle free. The "twitchiness" comes from the characteristics of a V-twin vs the I4 SS bikes. I personally like the way twins pull (insert Duc/Aprilia model here). It's torquey, enough to equal the I4's on the low end, before the I4's come onto their cams and pull away. Great city bike and for the local canyons. On the highway it's a bit buzzy and I wish it had more power, but I've ridden it to Durango and back no problems. The stock seat can be much improved with a Corbin, and the stock suspension is set up kind of soft, someone told me good for an average street rider about 140lbs. Very flickable in the corners; the naked rides like a big dirt bike.

Go to SVrider.com to get all the details from other SV owners. Looking at your avatar if it's your second bike, the SV will be a great choice.

pilot
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Interesting undertail video for your avatar asp_125: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/image.php?u=651&dateline=2006

olds_cool
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks for all the info, gang. No, this would not be a first bike...far from it. I've been riding 27 years. I just wanna replace my 250cc commuter, so that's the reason. The price is right (I think...at 3k in near mint condition). Speed and canyon carving don't mean that much to me (been there, done that). Just looking for a little extra power while still getting good mpg's.

Joecycle
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
I just wanna replace my 250cc commuter, so that's the reason. The price is right (I think...at 3k in near mint condition).

Sounds like a good pick then. As for a commuter bike goes it should prove much nicer than a 250. No worries when you need to punch it to get out of the way.
As for gas, when I commute I average around 50+ mpg.

lightning126zp
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Good choice for a bike :up: I do agree with it getting great gas milage and it does have some punch to get you out of stuff if need be.

asp_125
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting undertail video for your avatar asp_125: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/image.php?u=651&dateline=2006

I've been watching too much MotoGP..

wulf
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I had an 02 naked model, have an 03 s model.

Get the second gen, it's much smoother and built for americans not 4' tall people.

Mae
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Check out the SVrider.com forum, several people there have the 1st gen SV and can give you volumes of information on it im sure.