PDA

View Full Version : Question about some parts I want to get....

madvlad
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well I want to do the most commonly bought parts for bikes, Power Commander, exhaust and maybe a sprocket set for my bike. HOWEVER what I want to know is if I get a slip-on instead of a full exhaust and use the power commander, would I see at least somewhat of a performance increase or are slip-ons just for noise as so many people have told me? I'm just plain confused cause some people tell me: "yes that I will see improvements" and other people tell me that it's a waste of time and money. I just want to get crisp sound, performance and just a smooth ride cause the stock is just not doing it for me anymore. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS/GIRLS!

Vehicle 1
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I am no expert, but: I think that the power commander is better for smoothness rather than for power, maybe you will gain some power at certain rpms if your current maping is way off. Personally I have only noticed smoothness.
The slip-on allows for a little more speed up top, at least on my bikes (it seems to not restrict acceleration as much as the stock) but you won't feel much at "normal" speeds. I would say that weight and "better" sound are the main motivation. You may get some back fire with a slip-on, and I am not sure if the mapping can avoid that.
The full system can improve performance and reduce a lot of weight (I have heard from other riders), but I could not tell you for sure since I have never had a full system installed.
You can find good deals on PCIII and slip-ons, I think it is worth it. Try hardracing.com, you may find what you are looking for...
Just my .02

D.

Matrix
Fri Feb 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
I noticed the same thing with my slip on and PCIII. No major power increase just a smooth throttle. I also did a -1+2 520 chain conversion and that helped the lower end of my gsxr750. My top speed is reduced because of this change but how often do you need to do 150+.

The_Jackel
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Well I want to do the most commonly bought parts for bikes, Power Commander, exhaust and maybe a sprocket set for my bike. HOWEVER what I want to know is if I get a slip-on instead of a full exhaust and use the power commander, would I see at least somewhat of a performance increase or are slip-ons just for noise as so many people have told me? I'm just plain confused cause some people tell me: "yes that I will see improvements" and other people tell me that it's a waste of time and money. I just want to get crisp sound, performance and just a smooth ride cause the stock is just not doing it for me anymore. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS/GIRLS!

Most of the time just putting a PCIII(Power Commander) on a bike will help a little bit but without dyno tuning you wont see any big gains(Sometimes you will actually lose power). If you want more power I would go with a full system, then save up for down the road to get it tuned with a PCIII. Or I always suggest to tight budget customers to get a slip on system that will work with the stock or their full system. This way you can buy the slip on now and have fun with it etc. Down the road you just buy the header and/or mid-pipe and blam you have the full system you wanted.

Also depending on the bike you can see noticable gains from just a PCIII or other controllers with stock everything. For example we just dyno tuned a '05 1000RR with just tuning the PCIII from stock we picked up 7HP to the wheel. Also from doing this the driveability was greatly improved as well as throttle smoothness and the overall powerband.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm going the route of slip-on, PCIII, and custom mapping. The motivation by me for the slip-on is more for cosmetics and sound then performance...should it provide some performance gains, then great. I figure I should get some performance from the PCIII and the custom mapping by Faster or another shop up here in Denver. By the way, I have all the power I could want so if it's just smoothness or throttle response improvement then that's cool by me.

As far as a 520 and sprockets, I really enjoy the lower end acceleration improvement I got from the 520 conversion and going
-1/+2. It wasn't an "Oh Shit!" change, but definitely noticeable.

madvlad
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Word, yea I mean my 600 has good power in the midrange to high range and I love it but well like mentioned "How often do you go 150?" lol.... I certainly want a smoother and more responsive throttle response since it certainly feels like it lacks it. Last night for instance I downshifted to try to get through a yellow light cause the a-hole behind me was following me too close and the bike just felt like it choked for a second, it felt weird and it has never done that so I'm not sure if it's a tuning problem, exhaust and intake valve clearance or something by that matter.... so yea definitely want the bike to be running smooth and good so it can last me considering it's only a year old lol. By the way how much does a dyno tune session cost? Any places you recommend?

honda919
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
i know of some bikes if you had a full system with out it getting dyno tuned will you actually get a flat spot in the middle of your rpms. I happened to my 07 600rr then i got it tuned and it worked great

The_Jackel
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
By the way how much does a dyno tune session cost? Any places you recommend?

We could take care of you. www.Jackelmoto.com (http://www.Jackelmoto.com)

I recommend doing a baseline pull first to see where your at. $50 Will get you three full power passes, and one top speed run if requested. Off of those 3 passes we get a good average Air to Fuel ratio from your bike and from that we can tell you how much power you may be losing. We can also show you flat spots in your powerband and even compare your bike to others that we have Dyno tuned. Off of all that we can guess how much power you will get from a proper tune and other advantages in fuel economy, throttle response etc. Dyno tune pricing can vary from bike to bike. It starts off at $180 and goes up to $350 for a full complete tune. For example any F.I. sportbike with any aftermarket exhaust and air system will be around $180. Various mods and other different factors can change the price. Our nitrous tunes run a bit more because there is much more to the tuning process. But the price we give you covers all time to get the tune right, if for some crazy reason it took us 12+ hours to tune your bike we wouldnt charge you more, you would still pay the $180 we quoted you. Also we test drive every bike after were finished and run it through the whole rpm range in every gear at various speeds, if we notice anything we wont stop untill its perfect. But as you might guess we can't duplicate every riding scenario so if you get the bike back from us and notice any issues or just one little issue we urge you to bring it back and we will fix it free of charge. Whatever it takes to get the bike right and make the customer happy! -T

madvlad
Sat Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info Jackal, I'm certainly looking into getting the bike in top shape considering it's been so good to me so a dyno tune definitely sounds like a good investment. I'll be looking into it within this next few weeks, would you recommend a baseline dyno before I add the parts or after?