PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Yamaha FZ1 vs 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14?

RyNo24
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
As most of you may know, I work at Grandprix Motorsports. I am looking to upgrade to a new faster bike from my FZ6. I like the FZ1 because it has a lot of the sport bike goodies, but is able to be used for touring. My work has a 2 2007 blue ones, and one 2007 raven black one, that they are going to make a deal with me because they are old stockers. They also have a brand new blue 2006 Kawi Ninja ZX-14. They REALLY want to sell this bike because it an 2006 and we are getting 2008s in on the floor. Which bike would you suggest for canyon riding and moderate touring?

Warren
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Fz-1!!!

madvlad
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ryno I would say FZ1 man, the ZX-14R is just too heavy and loads of power for canyon riding. At least I think it wouldn't be comfortable riding that thing in the canyons.

RyNo24
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
True, the bike feels almost like a cruiser weight wise, where as the FZ1 is almost the same weight as my FZ6.

Tipys
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I would have to say go with which ever one you feel you will be more comfrontable on. But I still got to say GO GREEN

salsashark
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Agree w/ Tipys... go with whichever your most comfortable on. Everyone's got opinions, but in the end, you're the one paying for it.

While I'd be more partial to the 14... that's only because I have one and I love it. I've had no problems in the canyons or racking up multiple hundred mile days. But then again, I've always been partial to the larger bikes (went from a cbr1100xx -> sprint st 1050 -> zx-14).

RyNo24
Sun Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have experiences with 2up riding on either bike? I have my GF on the back of my bike most of the time, and the FZ6 seems to not have to power or the space needed for long trips with two people on the bike. It kinda feels small when she is behind me. She likes the back seat on the FZ1, and the ZX14s have seat cowls on in the showroom so I will have to try that one out.

konichd
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
GHOSTRIDER (Nate) on the board rides a ZX14 in the canyons all the time. You can usually find it at the "Red Dolly" :)

Rhino
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
2 up on the FZ is fine. As long as she feels comfortable, long distance is fine.

Mine is 1st gen. but still has plenty of power. As far as being on the road/canyons, there's never been a time I wasn't able to hold my place in the pack.

It won't take the zx in a drag race, but your question seems to be about comfort.

You might find http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php a good resource. Plenty of info on 2nd gen.

Warren
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I also have an 1st gen. but there is plenty of power. I have only ridden two up a few times, but it doesn't feel slow at all even with two people. There is plenty of room. I also rode to Michigan on my bike with a big bag on the back that takes up more room than a second person would and even on my 800+ mile day I never felt like I couldn't move around. Patrick Repsol a095 (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2527) rides with his wife on the back all the time. He could probably give you some info. (although he is also on a 1st gen.)

Repsol a095
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
RYNO,
The FZ-1 is an amazing bike. I have zero complaints about this bike. The FZ is a sportbike/touring bike capable of competitive track riding while also taking long trips on the weekend. My wife and I ride this bike just about every weekend of the riding season. We are able to hang with other riders and be comfortable at the same time. I cannot recommend this bike enough. The only change that I would recommend is suspension upgrades. I changed the springs up front and in the rear; it made a huge difference. Let me know if you need any help.
Patrick

RyNo24
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think I am leanin towards the FZ1, I already have all the Yamaha hoodies, stickers, hats, etc.. Also, I imagine that insurance would be lower on the FZ1 than the ZX14

DavidofColorado
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Get the FZ1 and it will come with a pair of squid flip flops.

RyNo24
Mon Feb 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Get the FZ1 and it will come with a pair of squid flip flops.

Is that a dis on the FZ1, i'm confused?

DavidofColorado
Tue Feb 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Small one. But don't get me wrong. I think the bike is beautiful.