PDA

View Full Version : Intake Cam install

konichd
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I just bought the Kawi intake cam, however I do not plan on installing it myself. I was thinking since the stock head gasket is .65 that I would go down to the .050 or .055 head gasket? Any opinions or other options I may have?

According to most thing I can get info on I don't need new sprockets, tensioner, or springs, etc.

FYI: I have K & N filter and full system Barracuda MotoGP exhaust (letting you know what is on the intake and exhaust side)

If you have experience with these mods or have anymore info on what else I may want to do let me know! :)

TFOGGuys
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Are you planning on degreeing the cams(slotted sprockets)? Changing the head gasket thickness will change the cam timing ever so slightly, so that might be something you want to take into consideration.

konichd
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM
^^^You'll be doing it, but from the ZX10 forums it seems like guys are just "dropping it in" and going with a .55 head gasket and not changing anything else. The stock sprokets are "slotted" so degreeing the cam shouldn't be a problem?

The GECCO
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Just dropping it in will work, but to get the most out of it you really need to take the time to do the degreeing. If you're ever that far into a stock motor for any reason, it's not a bad idea to check the degreeing. This is an often overlooked part of tuning a motor and can have a dramatic effect on torque curves and drivability.

Sortarican
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Anybody on the Z forums recommend heavier valve springs or general valvetrain upgrades with this camshaft?
(And I assume there's no interference risk with the thinner gasket.)

What's the increase in compression?
Any benefit to porting and polishing on bike motors?

Never done more than stock rebuilds on a motorcycle valvetrain.
I've always wondered what (if any) comparison there was to auto valve jobs/hot rodding.
(Valvetrain/head work has huge benefits in the muscle car world.)

Post up pics of the project if you DIY.

konichd
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM
This is no need for heaver valve springs (unless you switch out the exhaust side cam). The stock setup is perfect for the aftermarket intake cam. Also most have stuck with the stock degreeing, although I keep hearing 106/103 is a good degree that a lot of people have used.

The ZX10 comes factory finished so no need to port or polish, although taking some mills off the deck is an option. But I'd rather go to a thinner head .55 or .5 (maybe .45) rather then deck it.

Guys that have ported and polished the head notice HP loss in the midrange but more HP in the top end.

Gramps
Thu Feb 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I just bought the Kawi intake cam, however I do not plan on installing it myself.

Any opinions or other options I may have?

You crack me up!

Not trying to be hurtful. Just giving you crap.

You remind me of golfers who buy the best clubs, thinking it will improve their game. Most just go out and hit the same old slice.:lol: the guys who can really hit the sticks can hit any club. Most good riders could probably ride what most would consider a ragged out bike, faster than most.

Just a funny observation:)

konichd
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Don't hate because I'm rich :)

The cam was actually only 80 bucks so its a pretty cheap upgrade compared to doing an exhaust or power commander.

DeKay
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Don't hate because I'm rich :)

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Sortarican
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Wish I could find an intake cam for the Triumph for $80.:(
(Something to be said for mass production.)

konichd
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
"A fool and his money are soon parted"

If "foolish" is buying a $300 dollar intake came for 80 bucks, then I guess thats me :drink:

Filo
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
If "foolish" is buying a $300 dollar intake came for 80 bucks, then I guess thats me :drink:

Aren't all Kawaski parts made in China now? I figure $80 would be full list

:lol: :lol:

I am sooooo funny.

konichd
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Actually the cam is discontinued, so I'm guessing they wanted to clear inventory. But laugh it up all you want Adam :)

counterfit zx10r
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Last time I looked, kawi bumped each cam up to 299.95 but now they list that intake cam for 84.99 again. Put the same cam in my bike with high comp pistons and got about a 10hp gain. The tech here at OTD Cyclesports did the motor on my 04 zx10r and he did one hell of a job on it. Might keep him in mind if you're looking for a qualified tech to do it.

Shortcake
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
^^^What size headgasket are you using? :)

counterfit zx10r
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm actually running a stock head gasket right now, with the 13.5 to 1 pistons is
specifically says not to go any thinner but I might experiment a little next winter. I'm just glad to finally have the thing back together and ride it.

BTW DK Id put in new springs just for the peace of mind of doing it, not worth chancing it with compressing the origional springs more and for a longer duration after they've already done the same routine a couple hundred thousand times.

konichd
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
^^^What springs did you get? Did you get all 16 or just the intake side?

counterfit zx10r
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I did all 16 but was planning on doing the race exhaust cam too till it was backordered then bumped to $300 and I just put in all new stock springs. From kawi the OE springs are 11.99 each, not sure if anyone makes aftermarket springs for it but I'll do some searching today and let you know.

konichd
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
^^There is a guys on the zx10 forum (jimmy Jam) selling all 16 race springs for 80 bucks. I'll probably snatch those up.

counterfit zx10r
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
If that's all new springs, I'd jump on that in a heart beat, that's a killer deal