PDA

View Full Version : Stopping on sand?

jseeks37
Sat Feb 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
So I was just riding home tonight, and when I was leaving my friends neighborhood I was coming up to a 3 way stop sign and I couldnt go straight. I was going about 10 mph, but then noticed that there was a lot of sand on the road and when I started to break my front wheel turned and slid out. Some how I kept the bike up and everything was fine,
But I am wondering what I should do next time that I come up on sand.

CurtisRR
Sat Feb 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Use back brake not front

Mista Black
Sun Feb 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I tend to engage the brake until the ABS kicks in and not worry about it :D

But yeah, if you don't have the feel on the front brake then don't touch it and just use the back.

dattaway
Sun Feb 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM
The front tire always uses whatever traction it has to keep the bike upright. If all of it is lost for braking, the bike will start to fall. If you let go of the brakes, all of the traction available will be used to pick the bike back up. Sometimes VERY quickly.

I found its best to be very loose on the bars or to lift my hands away at that point. If I held a firm grip when the bike regained traction, my arms seem to act like a spring and the result could feel like a tankslapper.

jseeks37
Sun Feb 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I think that I mostly used the front brake when trying to stop there so that was probably the probem. Thanks for the help

Xtremjeepn
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
....I was coming up to a 3 way stop sign and I couldnt go straight. I was going about 10 mph, but then noticed that there was a lot of sand on the road .

Look further ahead!!!! You should of noticed the sand WAY before you got there.

BigE
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Everyone's given you some good points but here are a couple more.
As stated,
1. Look further ahead.
2. Realize this time of year there IS going to be sand/gravel/bunch of Ker-Rap on the roads! Maybe this should be #1.
3. Use both brakes evenly on dry pavement and get your braking done early.
4. Keep the bike as upright as possible on sand or ice (yes, that's around this time of year too!).
5. Be Smooth, with a capital S.

Devaclis
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Practice. Go find a parking lot with sand and practice. Get REALLY good at stopping in it, cornering in it, and avoiding it if you can. I used to fear gravel and sand more than minivans. I kept practicing, and riding through it, in it, around it until I felt comfortable that I could react in sand almost as I do on dry pavement, with some small tweaks.

I use my front and rear brake all the time. But in sand I rear brake only, until my front tire is clear, then I apply the front, slowly, keeping the back engaged (this is for stopping)

When I ride through gravel in a corner, I keep a finger on the clutch and the throttle at a constant, maybe slightly decreasing position. If I start to slip I can use the clutch to slow the bike a small bit without disengaging the throttle. You don't want the tire to spin free then hookup on the other side of the gravel. High sides look like they hurt.

I really, more than anything, prefer to avoid gravel. Swerving is something that you should practice a lot too. Again, a nice open parking lot and an obstacle. Do not corner around it, swerve around it. The MSF does a pretty good job showing you how to do this correctly.

Practice is my best response to the question of how to deal with gravel. You will get a LOT better in it pretty quick.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Great points. Just want to expand on them a little for the greater good.

1. Look further ahead.

The farther ahead you look the more time you give your brain to process conditions/traffic etc. In turn this gives you more time to react.

2. Realize this time of year there IS going to be sand/gravel/bunch of Ker-Rap on the roads!

There are 3 pieces to consider. Rider/Driver, vehicle and environment. The LEAST of the 3 is the one to watch out for.

Examples.
Rossi, R1, Snowy road.

1st time rider, R1, racetrack

Rossi, 1945 Harley Military bike, Race track.

Judge YOUR ability, the conditions and the equipment you are on.

3. Use both brakes evenly on dry pavement and get your braking done early
4. Keep the bike as upright as possible on sand or ice (yes, that's around this time of year too!).

If you MUST brake on sand you can brake up the the traction threshold. Anything beyond that will cause a skid/slide. Use sandy spots to practice using both brakes and the front/rear bias at slow speeds. This way you will be able to learn how to respond on similar surfaces at higher speeds if you need too. (car changes lanes forcing you onto the shoulder that is all sand/gravel and you have to make a stop)

5. Be Smooth, with a capital S.

I have been teaching preformance driving for nearly 16 years. Often times people confuse Smooth with Slow. You want to take the SNAP out of evey action. It is possible to be just as fast and forcefull but without the "snap". Squeez the brakes, don't grap, stomp etc. Roll into your steering, don't yank, snap, jerk etc. (hard concept to type about, easier to show in person).

Just some more indepth thought on some great points. :)