PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket movement

HIX
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM
I just picked up a rat bike for a commuter. I have a little problem. I can move the sprocket letf/right by hand. What gives? The wheel doesn't move like this! Just the sprocket and chain?

Here is a link to an exploded view. (click parts diagram, then rear wheel)

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=Site/VIVehicleInformation/VIVehicleInfo.asp?intCatalogID=2&CatalogTypeID=4&ProductTypeID=14&ModelMarketingID=167&ModelYear=1987

If it was a bearing wouldn't the whole tire move left/right? I think it might be one of the collars...not sure though. How much do you think it'll cost me to fix it? Is it doable for the home wrench?

I would appreciate it if one of the bike gurus could call me. It is kinda hard to explain.
303-870-8153

yakuza
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I'm betting the cush drive is worn out. It's the rubber damper between the sprocket and the rear wheel, part #92075 in that link you posted. I could definitely see that rubber deteriorating, since the bike is an '87. It should be a relatively easy job to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined, not sure how much the part would be. Best way to find out would be to take apart the rear wheel and see what condition the damper is in.

Hope that helps.

HIX
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks. I'll take it apart and give it a once over. I am fairly mechanically inclined(I built a few wheeliing truck and have put in an auto engine or two). What is the best procedure for aligning th rear wheel when I go to put it on?

BladeRider
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 08:45 PM
If it's not the cush drive, it may be the outer collar to the left of the sprocket. I have an '86 Ninja 1k that has a similar setup. they're a pita to take apart and install because of the collars, but certainly doable by any home garage mechanic type.

There should be marks on the swingarm for aligning the rear tire. You could alway try the measurement method which is more accurate. I've never done it myself, but some guys claim they can nail the tracking better this way.

Tom

rocktboy
Tue Apr 29th, 2003, 09:48 AM
ah....what you have is a floating rear sprocket. it will automatically adjust the chain alighment with the front sprockets. highly advanced feature found on some older bikes...... :P :silly: