PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

D Berns R6
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
If I get a 250 dirt bike, can I just throw on street wheels and race tires and do supermoto/motocross? or is it more involved than that? Thanks!

dingle

Joe
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
The cheapest way to fly is to get some street tires for your existing rims. Less than $100 invested and you can try it out. I had some cheapo ChengShen D/S tires on my XR and I had a blast on the track.

If you're not down with the cheap route, you can get the wheelset and tires, and rip. Then, if you want to race, check out the sites below for their rules, the biggest is just full handguards (which are recommended anyways).

For a good local shop to help you out with package deals, check out Epic's home page.

Joe

www.rmsupermoto.org
http://epicmotosports.com/epicmotosports-coloradosupermotoshootout.aspx

Bueller
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Wheels, tires, catch cans, safety wire or goop on fluid in and out. Remove or tape up lights, remove or secure kickstands (heavily recommend removal). Recommended are sliders (axle, peg and hand guard). Front brake upgrade is not absolutely necessary but it is a good idea, you can use stock caliper but a 310-320mm rotor will improve braking dramatically.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17826

D Berns R6
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
thanks guys...

Clarkie
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Derek we will be out most Sunday's if the weather is ok (it was only 35'F when we started riding last Sunday, if you want to ride someone else's bike before you jump there is always people who will lend yoru a bike for a session. Last Sunday Eddie has a couple of AMA spec bikes out there for people to ride :)

D Berns R6
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks Clarkie! I have every other weekend off so that would work out. Im going to Arroyo Seco this weekend so maybe two weeks from this sunday. Do you have a phone number so I can call you when it gets closer and meet up at IMI. Thanks!

Derek

Clarkie
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
keep any eye on this forum section and you will see when people organise a get together, but if the sun is out we wil be there http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

motobum
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
derek,

when you come out you can take my kx250f out for a spin. its super fuckin fun!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I got a dumber question to go along with Derek's...how do those supermoto tires handle in the dirt. I mean they look like they would be fine on pavement, but without any kind of substantial knobby on them, how do they dig or grip in the dirt? What's the most challenging portion of a typical track, the dirt or pavement?

Thanks,
Randy

Clarkie
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
on my (now Benny's) 250F I was clearing all the jumps on the MX track at IMI with slicks on, the berms are tough if it is soft and loamy, but the (SM) track should be hard packed so it shouldnt be an issue

irdave
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
on my (now Benny's) 250F I was clearing all the jumps on the MX track at IMI with slicks on, the berms are tough if it is soft and loamy, but the (SM) track should be hard packed so it shouldnt be an issue

Does Ted know you were riding in the dirt? (Just trying to figure out what I should keep my mouth shut about!) And if she does, let's go ride some trails!