PDA

View Full Version : Suomy Helmet Opinions?

lovinCO
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I like the designs offered by Suomy, but haven't owned one myself. I have heard from one person that Suomy has quality issues. Looking for actual owner comments on these helmets.

Opinions anyone? :viking:

McVaaahhh
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
waits for DK to come out and suck Suomy's c0ck. :lol:

lovinCO
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well at least I'll hear one Suomy review. :drink:

Also posted a helmet poll...vote people!

AshliRider44
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hey lover. Suomy is the BEST helmet I've ever owned and coming from Brad Hendry and a few other racers its also the best helmet to wear while racing. :)

lovinCO
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hey lover. Suomy is the BEST helmet I've ever owned and coming from Brad Hendry and a few other racers its also the best helmet to wear while racing. :)

Excellent, thank you pumpkin.

McVaaahhh
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 09:02 PM
DK's a big fan of Suomy, he'll post up soon. :)

lovinCO
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM

........:wait:

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have a suomy and its lighter and has a nicer liner then the shoei rf1000 that I had but the suomy doesn't vent nearly as well and has way way more wind noise and the the visor isnt as easy to change.

Sully
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
:up:.. LOVE MINE... :bananna: I do agree with Nick on changing the visor out, it's not as easy as the Shoei is.

Gramps
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would recommend suomy....

I have owned most of the major brands at some point or another. Suomy has been my choice for the last couple of years and will be my next helmet. I have not heard of any quality issues and have not had any with my helmet. The liner is a good quality material and the paint and graphics are high quality as well. Airflow through the helmet seems to be on the same level as Arai. The weight is what you will notice first. Suomy is the lightest helmet on the market.

Choose your helmet for you, but don't buy a helmet for the price. What is your head worth?

BlueDevil
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Strangely the price thing cant come into play... Ive heard the comment "Whats your head worth" so many times and after all the tests out there and such.. it doenst hold up... Fact is Ive worn a $600 helmet and had a light tap and had head injury, and Ive wore a $130 helmet and gotten a thump over and over on the head over 100 mph and had no issue at all...... Its fair to take into account what people have experienced, but the money spent isnt a valid argument IMO. The MRA had a little test a while back and asked for experiences with certain brands... Though HJC (older models) didnt fair well and were amoung the highest for dis-satisfaction when involved in a head injury.

I am sponsored by Suomy and love them. Ive had 2 crashes with a Suomy on my noggin.. 1 of them I had some issues with dizziness aand the other one I had no issue what so ever. Same corner, same track and similar style of crash... yet the results are quite different.

Fact is, some helmets are better quality but to say that a higher price one is better cause of price... Not always the case.

Ive used the following helmets: Arai, HJC, KBC, Suomy, SHOEI

As far as my opinions on each of them (Havn not personally crashed in the HJC CL-11 so no comment) Light crash Lajunta in an Arai.. Had a small scrape to my right side and had some dizziness for approx 2-3 mins. Still fit well, vented well, looked great, and fit very well...

Suomy mentioned experience earlier

KBC: Ive crashed twice in a Racer1 model..... Only 1 time was my head involved. Tumbled 10-12 times over 100 mph at Miller... Bashed my head several times but not extreme.... Had absolutely no issue with my noggin. In fact my only negative was to much ventalation.. For a person with contacts, it tended to dry my eyes out for all the air flow coming in.... Still one of the best helmets Ive worn for $130 bucks...

Now Im using my second Suomy and also love them. Ive crashed, and hit my head, and it was purley random... So many variables come into play that its tough to say a helmet is bad cause you might have had your bell rung... None the less... The quality is there on Suomy. Fit and confort are top notch, paint scemes are the best quality of any brand, venting is great, and they weigh darn near nothing. Overall Im quite happy with SUOMY and will continue to race with one on in 2008....

Lastly the Shoei RF800... This one was perhaps the most pertinent head injury Ive had with any brand. Unfortunetely the only one while street riding. The end result was a head 1st incident with a steel metal pole, square on the top of my head. The inpact gashed a huge hole in my helmet, and compressed my vertabrae in my neck. Though I had neck pain for about 3 weeks, I never had a single issue with my noggin.... No dizzieness, no head discomfort, no black out, nothing...... In fact once my neck mended, I never had any ill effects after that incident. True the Rf800 is an older version of the newer RF1000 but after looking at my helmet, and how hard I hit that pole, I should be dead... Shoei is thumbs up in my own experience.... Venting..ehhh, styling, ehhh, paint sceme and quality...ehhhh, Comfort, ehhh At best Id give any other statistic of the SHOEI a C+ but when it came to saving my noggin on THAT day.... It did exactly what it was expected to do...A+

Best of luck in your decision...

Redflash3
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Suomy is the "BOMB". What I really like about it is its light weight, fit and graphics.

konichd
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM

:lol: I have two Suomy Spec 1's and couldn't be happier. Really comfortable, lots of ventilation, and they fit my head perfect (even with my big nose!). I have owned HJC, Scorpion, and also have a Shoei X-11 Bostrom and by far the Suomy is the best :alien:

You'll get use to the visor change after a little practice, but thats the only real downside I've ran into. At least the liners are replacable and can be washed.

fastergixxer
Fri Feb 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
had a friend who died while wearing a soumy. on impact the strap broke away from the helmet. Helmet came out looking just scratched. but it would have been better if it stayed on his head. So i'm not a fan.

BlueDevil
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
:lol: I have two Suomy Spec 1's and couldn't be happier. Really comfortable, lots of ventilation, and they fit my head perfect (even with my big nose!). I have owned HJC, Scorpion, and also have a Shoei X-11 Bostrom and by far the Suomy is the best :alien:

You'll get use to the visor change after a little practice, but thats the only real downside I've ran into. At least the liners are replacable and can be washed.

One of the finest looking replica's out there... Nice Lid!!!
Their 2008 lids just came out and they have some nice additions.... Check em out at
www.SUOMYUSA.com (http://www.SUOMYUSA.com)

Racing616
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Heya, I have been sponsored by Suomy going on to my 3rd season now, and before that all I wore was Arai. There are now lots of MRA racers wearing the new Vandal (my personal favorite). I have crashed in the helmets, and have gotten up, put the crashed one in the trailer, and then continued racing in another. Top quality, light weight, and AMAZING graphics. Give them a try.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
^^Holy crap...Hendry is here. Hi Brad.

Superfreak
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
I really like how light it is and the fit is excellent for me. I've heard great things about the RF-1000 as well. A little on the loud side regarding wind noise, but I could wear earplugs if it really bothered me.

Racing616
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
What up gangstas!? haha, yeah, I am here :)

I agree with Super Freak, ear plugs are a must, or an ear plug type head phone when listening to music......they are noisier than the Arais.....

rforsythe
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I started using a Spec-1R after R2SL at MMP last year, and love it! Super light weight, good quality, comfortable. The race model is a little noisier than my Shark, but I usually have ear plugs in on the track anyway.

lovinCO
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments, I'm thinkin' I want one. Suomy's have good looking graphics and I like the lightweight.

Racing616
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
We currently have the full size run of Vandals for ya ;) Have quite a few of the different graphics too, can can order any of the new stuff.

rforsythe
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Strangely the price thing cant come into play... Ive heard the comment "Whats your head worth" so many times and after all the tests out there and such.. it doenst hold up... Fact is Ive worn a $600 helmet and had a light tap and had head injury, and Ive wore a $130 helmet and gotten a thump over and over on the head over 100 mph and had no issue at all...... Its fair to take into account what people have experienced, but the money spent isnt a valid argument IMO. The MRA had a little test a while back and asked for experiences with certain brands... Though HJC (older models) didnt fair well and were amoung the highest for dis-satisfaction when involved in a head injury.

For what it's worth... The MRA's test was little more than a poll on the web site, and it's still unclear if the greater number of "head cases" with the HJC is from more people using them, or a true quality issue. Careful how you interpret the results of that. I have always wanted (and meant) to take a more inclusive study of helmet crashes vs injuries just to be able to derive some useful data out of it.

Also ... light tap vs 100mph crash doesn't necessarily mean anything. I know that sounds strange, but something I've noticed after witnessing more than a few people go bouncing through the weeds (including you :) ) is that often, the high speed crashes don't involve head injuries. Those are generally broken bones and cuts, but unless you get highsided into the pavement like a pogo stick or pull a Bob off some pile of dirt, you're more likely to slide or be thrown into dirt/grass. The low speed wrecks seem to produce a lot of concussions, particularly the low speed front washout from overly aggressive braking. That type of crash loads and then unloads the suspension as the bike loses traction, causing even a lowside to slam the rider's head into the pavement sideways with terrific force. I think the brain isn't as resilient with sideways impact as it is with front, rear, or top, so people take a nap for a while even from 20mph wrecks. I lost count of how many of those I saw in the rats nest at SCR.

Anyway, there are a thousand ways to interpret the data, what (very) little there is of it. I do hope to actually get a formal study going and get some hard numbers on types of crashes, which brands are more widely used, etc. so we can have numbers to reference. Without that, it's still just a semi-informed guess for either of us.

BlueDevil
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
The main problem with studies is expense... a truely valuable test would cost tons of cash in equipment and experts, not to mention hundreds of test helmets.... So since that is a near impossiblity for most of us.. we have to reply on the John Q Public to express their personal experiences and in addition take all of them with a grain os salt. Remembering that all data is useless if even 1 variable changes.... A test machine in a lab can not reproduce any possible type of variable involved in any random test. It can only statistically analys the variation in damage with given vaiables, and estimate the standard of error that could occur... None the less... the results could never even be with in the 90 percentile of accuracy for street riding. So we take the quality of mateirals into account, the reputation or the brand, any professional data tabulated through out the current models production, and of course the opinion (thats all it is) of those around us that we place some numerical value of trust in......

Fact is you can die wearing a 89.00 helmet or a 700.00 dollar helmet with even a light inpact..... and vise versa... Even the lowest price helmet could save your life when coming into the situation of repeated multivariable and angle blows to the nuggett.

Fact is every person will take these variables into account mentally and weigh them out in their head, compare them with the wallet variable.. and untimately make a purchase.......

My only advice is take everyone's opinions into account and take them for what they could be on either extreme, and only the consumer has the ability to determined which purchase to make......

Good luck in your decision though it sounds you may have already made one....