PDA

View Full Version : In the age of more and more, I find less and less.

pilot
Sat Feb 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
So I've hit up about 5 local places: Ace, Preppy Boys, Kings, Hopeless Depot, even Radio Shack, etc., all in hopes of finding a simple 12 volt, 5 amp self-resettable breaker (even a simple turn signal breaker (not 30 amp) will do.

Nothing, nada, zippy. But I saw a lot of cell phones, LED light kits for gas pedals, and electrical tape.:banghead:

In the "old" days you could find what you needed at the local hardware/electronic store. Today, they are just turning into a mini-Wal Mart.

BTW, I'm trying to build a short circuit detector. I'm too poor to spend $45 to 100 in a catalog for a fancy one. This, in hopes to help out Pauliep with his bike.

If anybody has a spare breaker, like the one I listed above, and is willing to part with it...

:(

bluedogok
Sat Feb 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Radio Shack has lost focus on what they were, now they are just a gadget store...and not a very good one at that. Fry's here is one of the few places with electronic parts in stock anymore. There are mail order suppliers, that is about the only place that you can find many items.

Try page 1913 of the Digi-Key Catalog (http://digi-key.dirxion.com/Main.asp), they have a 6 Amp ATO Auto Reset Automotive Circuit Breaker, of course it is about $14.00 for one.

pilot
Sat Feb 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Radio Shack has lost focus on what they were, now they are just a gadget store...and not a very good one at that. Fry's here is one of the few places with electronic parts in stock anymore. There are mail order suppliers, that is about the only place that you can find many items.

Try page 1913 of the Digi-Key Catalog (http://digi-key.dirxion.com/Main.asp), they have a 6 Amp ATO Auto Reset Automotive Circuit Breaker, of course it is about $14.00 for one.Thanks for the link. Gadget store--that pretty much sums it up.

dattaway
Sat Feb 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Know those APC UPS power supplies that get thrown out in the trash all the time? They usually have 6 amp resettable breakers. I'm getting most of my parts by recycling junk these days.

towneh
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
yes sir Dattaway....... you bring a smile to my face and many fond adventures! Dumpster-diving rebuilds were my mainstay during my lean-years at the university. Half of the young punks behind the Rad-shk counter can't read, much less understand resistor bands/multipliers?!?!?!?!
--Keep up the good work--
bus_henry:drink:

Dave
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
All true about Radio Shack…
Digikey is a good electronics distributor, and if you want a second option try Newark. I buy from them often and their customer service is good. http://www.newark.com/ (http://www.newark.com/)

irdave
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I've had good luck with Digikey. Built my last headphone amp with bits from them.

Dub
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Try AA Tradin' Post on Broadway in Englewood. They pretty much have everything and then some. I found 6v light bulbs there for an old 1966 VW I used to own.

Canuck
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Holy Shit, a post from Dave! How is California treating you.

pilot
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I think I'll give AA a call. Totally forgot about that place and it use to be part of my old stomping grounds. I really do appreciate everyone's input. I'll also keep the other posts in mind for future needs.

Regards,
Broke-ass motorcycle guy.

Dub
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Holy Shit, a post from Dave! How is California treating you.
It's GArY as fuck but thats how I roll! :)

pauliep
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
So I've hit up about 5 local places: Ace, Preppy Boys, Kings, Hopeless Depot, even Radio Shack, etc., all in hopes of finding a simple 12 volt, 5 amp self-resettable breaker (even a simple turn signal breaker (not 30 amp) will do.

Nothing, nada, zippy. But I saw a lot of cell phones, LED light kits for gas pedals, and electrical tape.:banghead:

In the "old" days you could find what you needed at the local hardware/electronic store. Today, they are just turning into a mini-Wal Mart.

BTW, I'm trying to build a short circuit detector. I'm too poor to spend $45 to 100 in a catalog for a fancy one. This, in hopes to help out Pauliep with his bike.

If anybody has a spare breaker, like the one I listed above, and is willing to part with it...

:(

Hey Pilot, an update: I took my bike to Faster to have them try and fix the problem. I know, I'm weaksauce

pauliep
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Just got a call from Mike at Faster actually, weird how I just posted and got a call, hehe. But it turns out the turn signal wires were melted together and labor came out to like $36, sweet action!