PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise...

JPrider
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Need some advise weither or not to change the oil and spark plugs on my bike. I just got back from Iraq and my bike has been sitting for a year. I changed the oil b4 I left and I don't know if I should change it again. The wife has turned it on and put in gear on a stand but I know that does no good for the bike.
Any advise would be appreciated!

JP

JPrider
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
FYI...it has 3k miles on it!

dragos13
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I would change the oil for sure. Having it sit that long, im sure there has been moisture buildup. Especially if it never really got warmed up fullly from riding. As for the plugs, probably wouldn't hurt to change them either. I'm not sure what you have been doing in terms of gas, but I bet that needs cleaned out as well.

pilot
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome back and thanks for your service (and your family's support) while you were in Iraq. You may want to consider a stem to stern check of your bike. There are several good books available at your local bookstore or on-line for basic motorcycle service.

FZRguy
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
The gas is more of a concern than the oil and plugs. Did you use a stabilizer in the tank or drain it? Has the bike been garaged? If she fires up, ride it a 100 miles and then change the oil and filter. The plugs are fine.

JPrider
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The gas is more of a concern than the oil and plugs. Did you use a stabilizer in the tank or drain it? Has the bike been garaged? If she fires up, ride it a 100 miles and then change the oil and filter. The plugs are fine.

I used the fuel stabilizer while I was gone and the bike has been garaged the whole time. She has turned on with no problem and I have tried to take it out, but it's to freaken cold.
I plan to take out tomorrow since it's going to be nice weather.
Thanks for the info/advise!:up:

JP

rforsythe
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
If she turned it on and let it actually reach operating temperature for a few minutes to bake the moisture out, then the oil is probably fine as well...

JPrider
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks all for the advice... I'm planning on taking it out this weekend and put some miles.

TopTier
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome back John. Are you going to be teaching again?

JPrider
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Welcome back John. Are you going to be teaching again?

I sure am...can't wait to teach again. What have you been upto? Any racing?

TopTier
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hope we get to teach together this year. You going to be at Lowry?
Nothing much just working and getting ready to buy a house.
No not yet. I'm taking the MRA race school in March. But I sold my bike so I'm kind of bike less. I'm borrowing my bro's 600RR for the class.