PDA

View Full Version : SV 650 starting issue ?

Joecycle
Tue Feb 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
HELP! Crazy thought… I’ll toss out my bike problem to everyone here :drink:, looking for suggestions/questions/comments/remarks. I have some sort of voodoo problem that’s baffling to me.

My bike’s in the shop, at “Supertune” with Mike. Completely stand up guy and awesome to work with. I highly recommend him. Now we’re both asking around looking for help.

BIKE:
It’s an ’03 SV 650, 11000 miles, stock except K&N air filter.
BACKGROUND:
In the fall I took it to him for a valve job. I heard ticking and such. He adjusted them all relative to each other and it sounds great, even runs great (when it’s running).
PROBLEM:
It’s all in the start-up. Sometimes I can start the bike, and it goes up to fast idle, comes down to normal idle(1300), and sounds good. I can run it till the gas is empty, thru all the gears, in traffic, on the highway….all it all, no problems and runs perfect. Other times I start it, and it’ll go up to about 600 rpms, tries to run and will stall out after about 30 seconds. Kind of like a default mode. And it’s a hit or miss what it will run like each time I start it. We’ve started it 15 times in a row perfectly, and then 3 times in a row it will stall, then the next 3 times it’s good again. But you can tell 2 seconds after starting it what will happen till you shut it off and try again. There's no method to the maddness!
WHAT WE’VE DONE:
We checked the TPS sensor. Also tried adjusting the secondary butterfly relative to the primary. When it’s running normal we can see the secondary “find” itself. When it’s running poorly it won’t “find” itself.
WHAT TO DO:
Mike is going to go back through the original work he did, and double check his work. Make sure there’s not something he missed, or something really simple he forget about.

Anyway. Let me know if you have thoughts on stuff to check. Maybe there’s a on/off switch in the bike to turn on voodoo mode. :crazy:
Thanks everyone.

TFOGGuys
Tue Feb 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Have you tried to pull the codes? Sounds like a cam position sensor may be getting an intermittent signal. Suzuki's default for cam position sensor failure is "limp home", although if the sensor fails completely, the bike will tun til shut of, then not restart.

Joecycle
Tue Feb 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Codes. Mike's going to pull those and see if there are any. I'll post up once I find out.

wulf
Tue Feb 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Try the green wire connector for the ignition. I've read the tend to melt after 5k miles.

Mine is doing something similar that i can't narrow down, it'll be at TFOG when i get some spare time.

Joecycle
Wed Feb 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Turned out to be a tight clearance intake valve.
It was a shim than should have netted a 6 mil gap but turned out to be just a bit to tight.
At idle it was choking itself, but revved fine.

So Mike fixed her up and I'm going to pick the bike up tonight.

WHOO HOO!

Thanks to Mike at Supertune Motorsports! (44th and Wads)