PDA

View Full Version : V-twin or In line 4????

tl1000riders
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm currently riding a 97 suzuki tl 1000s. I've been looking at the new gsxr 1000. I've talked myself out of the new bike several times. I'm really pleased with the tl. One of the salesmen told me since I have the tl, I might not like the new gsxr because of the inline 4 and the comfort of the bike. So my question to the experts is, What are the main differences between the two motors? Will I like the new gsxr? The tl is some what comfortable for a longer ride. As where the gsxr might not be.(rumors) Your input will be helpful. Thank you.:)

Sparker
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
having had both a TL and a GSXR 1000 i can say that the gsxr1000 is leaps and bounds more of a bike than TLS but you will miss the twin, thats for sure. everyone talks about the grunt that you get in the low end from a twin but the new 1000s have more torque and it will still power out quicker. i really think the twin is more fun to ride just because of the sound and the power delivery is different but the 1000 is just a neck snapper. the tl is a very comfortable bike with the 2 feet of padding the seat has, haha. if you can....get both. you probably wouldnt get crap for trade in on a 97 TLS anyways. I know I do miss my TLS but am glad i experienced a big inline.

RyNo24
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
having had both a TL and a GSXR 1000 i can say that the gsxr1000 is leaps and bounds more of a bike than the gsxr 1000 but you will miss the twin, thats for sure.
Don't mean leaps and bonds better than the TL?

If you want a torquey bike off the line get a twin, but the inline fours are smoother and rev A LOT higher. I personally like inline 4s

tl1000riders
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think I'm going to ride the tl one more season and then get a new bike next year. Thanks for the info. I don't ride the race track, I like cruising the canyons. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to the inline 4. I ride my wife's bike from time to time. It has an inline 4.(r6)

dirkterrell
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
If you want a torquey bike off the line get a twin, but the inline fours are smoother and rev A LOT higher.

Or get the advantages of both with a V4. :) Here's an interesting article (http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/v4.pdf) (about 2.2 MB PDF). Now, if Honda would only give us a V4 supersport like the 1st and 2nd generation Interceptors and the VF1000R. There are rumors that there will be a 1000cc V4 in the lineup in 2009...

Dirk

Canuck
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
inline fours are smoother and rev A LOT higher.

So what is your point. You like to rev the shit out of an engine? Its all personal preference. I have owned and raced both, but prefer the L twin set up. Others though, like all of their power to come out at the last 2000 rpm of an engine.

salsashark
Thu Feb 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
How about a nice compromise

screw 'em both and buy a Triumph! Gotta love the I-3 :lol:

Clarkie
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Others though, like all of their power to come out at the last 2000 rpm of an engine.

You obviously havent ridden a new 1000 :)

Canuck
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Nope. Only middleweights.

CBRSue
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think I'm going to ride the tl one more season and then get a new bike next year. Thanks for the info. I don't ride the race track, I like cruising the canyons. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to the inline 4. I ride my wife's bike from time to time. It has an inline 4.(r6)

So, your wife got a bike, that is sooooooooo awesome! :) Please tell her I said CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm really lookin' forward to the Wednesday meets and getting out on more canyon rides! It'll be great to see you guys again!

Oh, and I think it's great you're thinkin' of hangin' on to the TL for one more season... you sure looked super smooth cruisin' through the canyons last year, and even with being two up!

irdave
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Me personally, I like the power delivery of the twin. Real linear, no hit up top, just smooooth...

And yeah, the ex has a 675. Nice ride. No liter twin, but nice. Really small.

VFR
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I have an I-3 and V-4 and and love them both. I personally did not like the inline because it doesn't (to me) possess any soul. It it whiney and the higher the RPMs the more it whines. You have to get the RPM's high to get a good hole shot off the line but a twin will just pull. It's about personal preference. On a track the inlines will have the straight away advantage and rev faster where the twin or v-4 would have the cornering advantage because of the torque it makes throughout the entire range.

The new Daytona 675 would be a great second bike or the new Ducati 848 if you want to go twin. As for inlines, nothing out performs a suzuki

Priller_Nate
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Having had both the inline and v-twins. I prefer the twin way more. Sure the inlines have the hit to the power band and unbelievable power, but for someone who mainly rides around town and some twisties on nice days, the twin is much more useable and fun to ride. The power is much more tractable (linear) and the sound is to die for (with aftermarket pipes).

Besides not everyone and their brother has a twin sportbike.

swademaster
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Besides not everyone and their brother has a twin sportbike.

Exactly. If you want to blend in with the crowd, maybe the GSXR is for you, otherwise the TL is the one to keep.

tl1000riders
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I really like being different when I'm riding. The tl has been awesome for me. I've decided to keep it. I'm going to ride it until it won't let me or I can't.
CBR SUE thanks for the compliment. Riding two up was always a challenge, especially with those great riders (Dirk, Sue, and the others) I had a great time with all of you. Now that my wife has her own bike it will be that much more fun.(when she gets trained on the canyon rides, her bike is a 2003 yamaha r6) Looking forward to seeing and riding with all of you.
It would be nice if some of the other tl's would tag along.(hint,hint):alien:

tl1000riders
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have vance and hines exhaust. I think it sounds great.:hump:

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing and riding with all of you.

Likewise! :up:

Dirk

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Speaking of V4's:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/22february08_aprilia_rsv4.htm

Dirk

denverbusa
Fri Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Four cylinders, 1000 cc, power of well over 200 HP in the race version, the new bike due to make its road debut by the end of 2008 will mark Aprilia's return to the World Superbike Championship in the 2009 season.

Well over 200 HP...

NICE

swademaster
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
It would be nice if some of the other tl's would tag along.(hint,hint):alien:

Let me know next time you are going out and if I have a chance I'll go.

VFR
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Speaking of V4's:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/22february08_aprilia_rsv4.htm

Dirk

SEX

Brat
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
yeah i like a group of tlr's and vtwins at a red light. we have a few down here on rides. vtwins are unique :D

spdr8cr02
Sun Mar 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Keep the twin... I have had em all and am back to a TL