PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Drag

Burnout
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 09:02 AM
I had my bike up on a rear stand yesterday and I noticed that the rear wheel spins with the bike running. I could hold the wheel with my hand. Is this something I should fix, or is this small amount of drag normal and ok?

Anonymous
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 09:07 AM
I've seen this on both my previous bikes - 1 shaft drive and my old ZX-11 - so I figure it's pretty normal. On my 02 R1, if the bike's cold & I start it in 1st, it tries to lurch forward (I have the front brake on so it doesn't matter). I figure it's the same thing, and once again, normal.

One thing which may or may not be related - I part my bike in gear, and after a few hours (maybe 8 or 12), if I pull in the clutch and try to walk/roll the bike (engine is off), it is "stuck". I either have to really force it to get it rolling, or put the bike in neutral. I've never experienced this on my ZX-11 (can't remember about the VX-800).

yakuza
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 09:22 AM
My bike does it too, I assume it's not a problem.

Burnout
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 09:32 AM
One thing which may or may not be related - I part my bike in gear, and after a few hours (maybe 8 or 12), if I pull in the clutch and try to walk/roll the bike (engine is off), it is "stuck". I either have to really force it to get it rolling, or put the bike in neutral. I've never experienced this on my ZX-11 (can't remember about the VX-800).

I thought this was because of the brakes. I get that even if I park it in neutral which I almost always do since I roll it into the garage.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 10:02 AM
You get that even though you park it in neutral? Hmm, I suppose brakes could play a factor in that, but I don't seem to have a problem with that. :?

Anonymous
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
This is all normal stuff. In a wet clutch design, there is still fluid spinning around even though the clutch isn't engaged. That fluid puts a small amount of torsional force on the clutch discs and, if nothing counteracts them (like holding the wheel, or sitting on the ground) they will start to spin a bit.

As for pushing the bike after sitting - could be the brakes, but remember when you push the bike in neutral all you have done is disengaged the engine from the transmission essentially. There are still internal parts that rotate when you push the bike and you have to get those moving too. One thing you can do is have someone listen with their ear right down by the brakes when this happens, and see if they hear any kind of "click" or something from the pads unsticking. The pads float but they will ride the discs ever so lightly under normal use...

Burnout
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Yeah, you can hear the pads coming off the rotors on my bike. My car does it too when I wash it and the rotors oxidize.

I'm glad my clutch is ok though!

BlueDevil
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Same here Burnout. Both R1's have done that for me on the stand.