PDA

View Full Version : advice on jacket

Erratic
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 02:31 PM
hey i need advice on a good jacket. i don't have much money, about $200
i'm thinking about the astars textile stunt. opions or advice would be great.
i ride year round.
thanx

gambit688
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Have you looked at the First Gear Ergo Tech jacket. It can be had online for as little as 168 shipped from Motorcyclecloseouts.com.

Matt

CSUAdam
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I would suggest checking Ebay for a new jacket. I picked up a great Alpinestars leather Haga replica (basically the TLD jacket with a 41 on it) for $200 after shipping and everything. I find all kinds of cheap stuff on Ebay.

Duc'nnit
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 07:08 PM
As a suggestion, go down to "Performance" on Broadway and Evans, find what you want and tell them what you have to spend. They know the club and they want your business, you will get discounts if you ask. The fine Art of Haggling, it still works.

Chris

Erratic
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 09:29 PM
thanx guys. i'll have to check out performance. as for ebay its to tricky to buy on line without trying it on cause sizes very but i could see if somethings on ebay and go to a store and try on what i like to see if its the right size. i haven't really checked out anything by first gear. are they good? has anyone tried that alpinestars t-stunt jacket. the armor seems decent and i like the fit. i just don't know if its a good jacket that will last and be durable. once again thanx i appreciate everyones input.

CSUAdam
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 11:42 PM
I've always tried on the stuff I was looking to buy off of Ebay first just to make sure.
My only beef with that A-stars Stunt jacket is the fact that the whole front of the jacket is perforated. I don't know if I'm just paranoid or what, but if I hit the pavement I don't want there to be a bunch of holes already in my jacket. :lol: Just personal preference (or fear, pick one).

Duc'nnit
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 06:00 AM
First Gear is top rate as well as Joe Rocket. I prefer the later over the first due to the fit of the jacket as well as the styling. The J R jacket I picked up at Performance a couple of months ago had a "Tag" of 210.00, by the time I was done I walked away with it for 130.00 plus 70.00 JR gloves for 29.00.
HAGGLE, HAGGLE, HAGGLE..... :D

Chris

CSUAdam
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Chris,
Any tips on how I could pick up this really good looking head of lettuce I saw at the store the other day real cheap? Should I try haggling with the guy at the checkout or should I just go straight to the manager? Do I stand a better chance at getting a discount if I'm buying two?
Just giving you cr*p buddy. Hey, I get done with school on the 16th so I'll finally be able to go home and give you more cr*p in person.

Duc'nnit
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Congrats on school almost over for you! :bananna: :cheers: I look forward to you stopping by and lets do lunch! 8)

Chris

Erratic
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Chis,
thats f*ckin awesome, which jacket and gloves and how have they been working out for you. hey i got no problems with dealing i'm all about saving money. thanx man :D

Justyn

Duc'nnit
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 09:37 PM
They have been working out like a champ, and the gear is exceptional!
Four days ago I bought a First Gear rain suit from Fay Myers.....The jacket was tagged for 38.00 and the pants were tagged for 18.00, I walked out with both for 30.00 tax included! :D

Chris

TWISTED
Mon Apr 28th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Do we send our orders to www.ChrisCoston.com? How much is shipping? ;)

Duc'nnit
Tue Apr 29th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Shipping fees are nominal, I usually charge a 1.5 Liter of Evan Williams Bourbon. :lol:
Two weeks ago I met Clayton at Starbucks down here. It was the first time he had ever ridden with the club, he is out of Castlerock. Long story short he has a 2001 Duc that he purchased from Fay last year. He hung in there for 7 months hasseling the sales dept, instead of paying the full 16k he walked out the door paying 11.5k.
Three months ago Fay was selling new 02 Interceptors 2500.00 off of the MSRP.... :321: I felt kinda sick so I feel they still owe me! :D

Chris

Jmetz
Tue Apr 29th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Where can I enroll for the Chris Coston Art of bargaining classes? Seriously you need to come with me when I buy stuff. :)

Duc'nnit
Tue Apr 29th, 2003, 10:59 PM
It is easy.... :D There are various ways to approach this tact.
Find what you want either in a mag or internet then approach the retailer to see if they will match the price. In some cases you may have to shop around to see if a retailer will work with you. Again, "Specialized Parts and Accesories" are not negotiable!! Know the product and it's popularity before working the tact.
Another way is to find the "jacket", or whatever your looking for, get them interested in selling it you and explain what you have on you to pay for it. Patience, an immediate answer of "we cant do go that low" does not mean they cant go that low, they are just testing your resolve. However if your looking at a 400.00 jacket and are offering 150.00, then that is not reasonable on either side. You just have to learn how to gauge what they can do with with what you want to pay.
All new year products are usually non-negotiable unless they are pressed. Items of the previous model year are easy pickings, <jackets, helmets, gloves, etc...>, they need to move the stuff. Just like cars, the more they move a model line product the more attention they from the manufacturer for new items coming out. Regardless of opinion, Fay Myers doesnt get new model Ducati's within a whif of their release date just because they are a dealer.....THEY MOVE BIKES, AND FAST. Just like cars...and they dont like keeping old shit on the shelves as well as any other retailer of bikes.
But the first step is just to ask if any discounts are available.....from there is up to you.

Chris

DucBloke
Tue May 6th, 2003, 04:52 PM
What ever you end up buying, remember that the color will dictate how hot the jacket gets every bit as much as the ventilation. White or light colored shoulders will help to keep you cool.

The way that the jacket potentially zips into the pants is also important. You may buy a jacket to just ride with a jacket and jeans, but if you plan to buy pants to go with it the zippers to connect them are vastly different. Pick a pair of pants up front if that is your plan and make sure it zips around the waste and not just at the back.

Erratic
Tue May 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM
hey thanxs thats a good idea. i'm still looking, but i just got some money so i should find something soon

haywood jablome
Wed May 7th, 2003, 07:04 AM
all i have to say is www.newenough.com AWESOME web site AWESOME customer service.. Based out of Texas..... AWESOME

rocktboy
Wed May 14th, 2003, 11:50 AM
one more vote for newenough.com......they are one of the FEW places on the web that allows you to return stuff if they don't fit, WITHOUT charging a ridiculous 25% restocking fee.

Erratic
Wed May 14th, 2003, 08:06 PM
hey guys i finally got my jacket the Teknic Lightning $188 with shipping and everything newenough.com is the shit. thanx for everyones input i really appreciated it :D

Deuce
Thu May 15th, 2003, 10:25 AM
New Enough is the bomb. Paul and Holly rock. I've gotten all my stuff from them.

Deuce