PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent electrical problems...

counterfit zx10r
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
So, I posted on here about 3 months ago maybe when my bike would just randomly shut off as I'm riding and I thought I fixed it but started to rebuild the motor shortly afterwords so guess I just didn't ride it enough. Today, within about a block from my garage, hit 2 speed bumps and it died on both of them, fuel pump kept going but seemed like it just lost all spark. I'm at a loss, I've even tried replacing the ECU and relay box. I'm going to check the kick stand switch in the morning right before taking off for work. Anyone have that happen where their kickstand would move enough over a bump or pot hole that it would kill the motor? Or any other ideas on what might be happening?

dattaway
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Corrosion and loose connections can be sneaky. Shaking and tugging at the wiring harness can often find the problem. I once found a white powder on a fuse was keeping the fan from coming on and my bike would always over heat. My coolant problem was really an electrical problem caused by the corrosive soapy water from washing my bike months earlier.

McVaaahhh
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
:imwithstupid:

Turn your bike on and go around tugging on all the wires and other electrical connections until you can get it to shut off.

pilot
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Do you have a link to a wiring diagram?

counterfit zx10r
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have a full shop manual for it with the complete wiring diagrams.

pilot
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Can you scan in the schematics and upload them to a public server?

rforsythe
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Check for simple stuff too - make sure the battery cables are tight (actually get a screwdriver and tighten them, or try to). Also make sure the battery is secure in the holder and isn't shorting out. I had a GSXR that would die through turn 1 at PPIR, ended up being the battery shorting out to the frame with that particular lean angle and bump.

RF900guy
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I had that same problem with my RF900. It has been a problem for the past couple of years. I finally did some work on it this past year and thought I had it fixed. I know either the kick stand is worn or the kick stand springs are worn. It does seam that there is a harmonics while riding that causes the kick stand to drop down enough to cause the ignition to cut out.

Clarkie
Sat Mar 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
faulty tip over sensor?

mayhem
Sat Mar 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
faulty tip over sensor?

+1 for tip sensor

konichd
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Tip over sensor = shitty Suzuki's

Velocity sensor = Supeior Kawasaki's

:)

It is not your velocity sensor

D Berns R6
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
If you have time, I had the same problem while racing, call the guys at Faster Motorsports or go down and see them in Denver.

gsxrscott
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Mike Applehans(sp) was having that same problem with his gixxer last weekend at the track and he said that it was most likely the tip over sensor.

dattaway
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Tip over sensor = shitty Suzuki's

Velocity sensor = Supeior Kawasaki's

:)

It is not your velocity sensor

That explains why my ZX14 would not shut off when I lost it on the ice.

konichd
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I would think its a kickstand switch or something with the ignition timing. Do you have a quickshifter installed? This happened on my ZX10r and it ended up being the quickshifter malfunctioning. It would cut the ignition and stall the bike.

I wouldn't think it is the velocity sensor since your fuel pump still runs. It would cut that off.

Devaclis
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hmm, never seen this happen on a Honda.

I agree with Brian. Take it home, leave it running, start tugging on stuff until it shuts off.

konichd
Mon Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
^^^Honda's are caveman technology, shit your lucky the fuckin' thing doesn't have stone wheels :) (26 lbs)