PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the wind

Knuckle Dragger
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
So was hoping for some insight here I have been riding some and the place I lack experience is in the wind. So far I have found by slowing down some helps and leaning into the wind helps. Now i was out on a ride and during a certain section the wind was really getting to it so I started to draw a line ahead of me to put the bike. This seemed to work but I do not like getting fixated like that. So to you pros here how to you handle cross wind situations? The ones I hate are the ones that can actually blow you and the bike into the next lane. Oh and I know I am not the best speller so if we can stay with the topic and not my grammer would be apperciated.

gsxrscott
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Your idea of looking ahead is good, look as far ahead as possible, and RELAX!! Just let the bike move under you, this does not feel right at first but once you become one with the wind the bike will move around and your course will stay straight and true. Even cross winds in corners will become more comfortable. Just don't fight it.

64BonnieLass
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I love you for this post. As far as I'm concerned, the wind causes me nothing but grief. Can't freeking stand it. Literally. When I'm being pushed into other lanes, even though I'm pushing on the bars with all my might the other direction...there's a freeking problem for me.

I've had some tell me "Ter, just pony up and learn how to ride in it. Cause shit happens". I've had others bitch as loud as I do once we came to a stop.

I cannot handle the wind either. I'm petite granted. Some of the guys I rode with a couple of weeks ago said that weight helps. I was getting thrown around like a rag doll.

I asked them at lunch if riding faster would help cut the wind. They said it really doesn't matter, that it just sucks no matter what. And they are larger than me and were getting pushed around themselves.

I really hope some other great riders post up about this. It's a point of contention between me and mother nature. And I will take all the learning I can get on this topic.

Wind sucks and blows at the same time. Pisses me off either way. :scream1:

Matrix
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
If I know the wind is going to be crossing me for an extended period of time I go ahead and shift my body to an off centered position (into the wind). I am fairly light so this helps me minimize the impact of a sudden gust. Like mentioned previously though the wind sucks and the size of the rider and the type of bike make a huge difference.

merlin
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I've found myself in serious crosswinds a lot- and here's a few tricks I've used:

-- I have occasionally ridden for miles in the wind shadow of tractor rigs with box trailers. Not the safest thing in the world, but it works.

-- Once the wind is over about 30, the bike WILL go in a straight line carrying many degrees of lean angle. It you are leaning into the wind already, I've found that gusts are easier to correct out of- the only time I've actually been slapped into another lane was on Hwy 36 in early 1999... 80mph sustained with 100+ gusts, according to the news that night. It was flipping rigs and putting SUVs in the ditch.

-- It's been said already, but I'll repeat it, cause it's damn good advice: RELAX. It feels weird, but if a near 100mph gust didn't make my Hardley break traction, no reasonable wind is going to.

-- Be careful of diesels. I have always tried to pass them fast if I was running in a heavy crosswind, unless I was tired and used one for a wind break for a while. That almost dumped me on that run to Kansas I made earlier this year. The wind was 40+ and coming in at a 45 degree angle. As I would approach a truck (and there were lots of them on the road that day) about 50 feet back I would get the wildest side to side buffeting I have ever experienced. Watch for that in a quartering headwind! In a straight crosswind, you'll be running along leaned over into the wind, and as you start to zip past the truck, you loose that pressure when you pass- and swerve twards the truck. As long as you are expecting it, it's no big deal. As you leave his shadow, you will get the crosswind AND the air coming off the front of his truck and head for the shoulder. So as you go to pass a trunk in those conditions, swerve very slightly away from the truck as you pull up beside him, and TWARD him as you finish the pass. Just a little. It is actually fun, once you get use to the idea!

I personally have a lot of fun with crosswinds on straight highways for a while. It gets tiring after an hour or so, but until then it is pretty cool.

Merlyn

Nick_Ninja
Fri Mar 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
The wind blows ..............................

But seriously folks. When you get the deal about counter steering the whole deal about wind becomes a boring subject.

lovinCO
Sat Mar 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Weight the opposite peg, that will stabilize the bike and minimize a sudden gust.

Warren
Sat Mar 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I just put myself in the middle of my lane and relax. The bike moves around a little underneath me, but I don't find it changes my direction much. Like merlin said, anticipate the change in wind when you pass semis. Also watch out for natural windbreaks such as underpasses, hillsides, trees really near the road. if there are holes in the windblocks you will often get a strong sudden gust.

tarded400
Mon Mar 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I've never had a problem with wind. I've heard stories of people getting "blown into other lanes" and as previously stated, I believe it would have to be a heck of a wind (80 mph dude? Thats crazy) to effect you that much. Even when I was riding the motard wind wasn't a big deal. Just lean into it and stay in the middle of the lane so if the wind gusts or relaxes you dont' change lanes, and be careful of semis.

wulf
Mon Mar 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
It gets real fun back home when you're riding on certain roads that are cut into rolling hills, you go from no wind to 50mph cross, back to no wind, crosswind etc. All in the course of a mile.

Yes bikes can be blown into other lanes, vrods have a solid rear wheel and get thrown around easily by the wind.

Ricky
Tue Mar 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I don't know if I can necessarily say that weight makes THAT big of a difference, even though it does. I'm a lightweight, bout 6' 145lbs, and even on my mini-ninja when I first started riding, I was scared shitless in the wind. Finally when it was really windy, I found myself hugging the tank as closely as possible and leaning into the wind, ready for any gusts. Being calm helps a ton. Just have to be ready for anything. I've definitely had a few gusts hit me and make the bike lean more than I felt comfortable. I'm interested to see what the differences are going to be on my new bike.

salsashark
Tue Mar 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It's been said already, but I found that a relaxed grip on the bike works with most moderate wind. The more you fight it, the more it will fight back. Just like riding on grated asphalt... relax and let the bike drift a little underneath you. I've also found myself shifting my weight off-center and riding the side of the bike during long sustained crosswinds (used to ride the side of the bike on 470 when it got real bad).

Jadam
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I like riding in the wind. Gives me a chance to tilt the bike over for a long stretch and wear down some of that annoying uneven roll from straight up to the sides of the tire. I hate that annoying flat spot in the center of my tire from my bike being my daily driver. Really noticeable at the track and in the canyons.

I counter the wind by just sitting on the opposite side of the seat that the wind is coming from. Let the bike lean over, while you sit straight up. If you lean with the bike like you would in a turn it becomes tiring to hold it there.

I also do that in slow turns in parking lots or on the street. Not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it, but it seems comfortable and effective to me.

tarded400
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I hate that annoying flat spot in the center of my tire from my bike being my daily driver.

I also do that in slow turns in parking lots or on the street. Not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it, but it seems comfortable and effective to me.

I know what you mean about the flat spot. I bought some Pilot Powers to go on the wife's SV in case I wanted to use it for a track day but then I wrecked my motard and now I only use it for commuting.
As far as parking lot turns thats how you're supposed to do it. Not that I do it all the time, but its a good way to get rid of chicken strips. :D I've drug my toe several times weaving in my lane on an empty road by counter leaning

tl1000riders
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'm no expert. What works for me is staying in the middle of the lane and also laying down on my bike. This way I don't get the sail in the wind effect. Like the other riders stated I don't fight the bike or the wind I just let it push me and I just keep it in the lane. Just my 2 cents.:idea:

siriuschris
Mon Apr 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Wind can be rough for me since I'm a small dude on a small bike.
Like gsxrscott and others say you gotta relax and let the bike kinda go with the flow. Of course if it feels really uncomfortable just get onto a slower road or get all the way over to the right and cruise.

BigE
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ride in Wyoming and get some practice! :lol: I've come home from there almost dragging a peg going in a straight line!
Everyone has given great advice so I'll just second (or third) about watching yourself when passing semi's or going thru areas with windbreaks. Those sudden gust/nothing/gust spots you need to keep on your toes.

B_Ott
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
After riding back and forth from fort collins to aurora I have started to hate wind. First time I rode on the highway the wind had me worried since I was never used to it but now I just lean over the tank which has worked wonders

Aracheon
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
To reiterate what everyone has already said:

- RELAX, and be CALM. Do not death grip the handlebars or the tank. A relaxed state of mind and body makes maneuvering the bike much easier.
- Tucking down/leaning down over the tank. This reduces the amount of area exposed to the wind.
- You must lean to compensate for a crosswind - it's the only way to keep going straight.
- Weighting the opposite peg is very very helpful, but can get tiring after awhile.

Spiderman
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Ummm, I'm a little concerned about comments like this being misleading to newer/less-experienced riders:

you gotta relax and let the bike kinda go with the flow.

The wind is something you're going to have to fight - but how you approach it mentally is key (and the more comfortable you are with it, the easier it will seem). While I know what you mean siriuschris, I think Aracheon put it better:
RELAX, and be CALM. Do not death grip the handlebars or the tank. A relaxed state of mind and body makes maneuvering the bike much easier.To add my http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/emoticons/2cents.gif :

- Become one with the bike... tuck down as low as you can, and shift your weight into the wind (your butt and your torso). It is not uncommon to be riding leaned over (like you're in a turn), but going in a straight line with a cross-wind. The more you tuck down, the less the wind will affect your body (which makes the effect on the bike seem worse).
- Position yourself in the center of the lane - this will give you some room to play with if there's a sudden gust or dead spot.
- If the wind is coming from the left side, be prepared for dead spots caused by semis coming from the opposite direction.
- RELAX, and be CALM. Do not death grip the handlebars. ;)

Aracheon
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
:werd:

EDIT: We need a :werd: smiley. :D

Sortarican
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
You're all overlooking the basic cause: God hates little people, it's that simple.
Ha! Those better hp-to-weight ratios for you munchkins aren't looking so good now, are they?
(J/K, You wee folk are alright.)

Good techniques from everyone.
Just wanted to add that when riding in the middle of the lane (which I also do in windy conditions) to watch for slick spots, especially on wet roads.
Might want to take the left or right track through turn lanes and intersections.
Pretty much anywhere that cars sit idling and leaking fuids.

FZRguy
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Tucking is pretty obvious. Also, hug the bike with your knees/ankles and keep your elbows low and close to your body. Speed usually has a stabilizing effect, so 85 might work better than 65 depending on conditions. I spend as little time as possible around semi trucks, so WFO when I pass one.

co750
Tue May 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
All good advice. I second the fact that staying low on the bike will reduce wind effect. I also find that a bit more speed helps to settle the bike, especially in an aerodynamic tuck.

co750
Tue May 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, and since I now have to live in Wyoming it is true that you get plenty of practice. Daily commute involves a good crosswind and passing semis with the bike already leaned into a good corner on the highway at 85mph. Anymore i think i would only notice if it WASNT windy.