PDA

View Full Version : EX500 performance tips

vw143
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hello, I recently purchased my first bike, a Kawasaki EX 500(Yes, I know it is crappy) and was wondering what performance tips you guys had for these things, I was thinking K&N, exhaust, etc, you know affordable stuff
Thanks,

haywood jablome
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Chain and sprocket, best BANG for the BUCK in my opinion.....

Anonymous
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not going to bash the 500. In fact, I applaud you for such a smart choice for your first bike. :up:

I don't have any performance tips, but might I suggest that you just learn how to ride it like it is, spend some money on good gear, then save the rest of your money to upgrade to a quicker bike next year. 8)

Like Haywood said, changing your gearing will make the bike accellerate faster, but you will lose some top-end. You're call.

Anonymous
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:18 PM
Jetting the carbs, exhaust, light head work to increase the flow.

Dysco
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
If you do a google search, you can find a TON of things to make these faster. If you want to drop a LOT of coin, there's a couple guys in Boulder who will make you a custom header that'll ad a ton of power.

Pachuco
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
I'm not going to bash the 500. In fact, I applaud you for such a smart choice for your first bike. :up:

I don't have any performance tips, but might I suggest that you just learn how to ride it like it is, spend some money on good gear, then save the rest of your money to upgrade to a quicker bike next year. 8)

Like Haywood said, changing your gearing will make the bike accellerate faster, but you will lose some top-end. You're call.
:imwithstupid: I had a ex500 it was a fun little bike. took me everywhere.

Dysco
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 05:12 PM
http://www.rallytwin.com/

These are the guys in Boulder... er Golden. They made their own bikes using EX500 engines.

vw143
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys, I figure K&N, and a D&D F/S exhaust(Only $289 from starcycle) and maybe an airtech cowl tail for now, I had considered a stage one Jet kit but wondered how well that worked at this altitude. , How hard is it to change plugs and get at the air filter on these things? I have worked a considerable amount on my cars but have no experience on bikes with the exception of my old XR 350 dirtbike, and that is as simple as they come.

Dysco
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys, I figure K&N, and a D&D F/S exhaust(Only $289 from starcycle) and maybe an airtech cowl tail for now, I had considered a stage one Jet kit but wondered how well that worked at this altitude. , How hard is it to change plugs and get at the air filter on these things? I have worked a considerable amount on my cars but have no experience on bikes with the exception of my old XR 350 dirtbike, and that is as simple as they come.

Do yourself and the rest of the world a favor and get ANYTHING but the D&Ds.

Thanks,

Dysco

wulf
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
good choice in bikes.

start off by buying the manual, the rest of the mechanics is cake, everything is there, just in different spots.

i second dysco's opinion of D&D's, i will turn around rather than ride behind one again.

agreed, invest in good gear, don't wait on that.

however, how about brakes? don't worry about going fast, but stopping is important. especially in denver. if you're in littleton i'd be glad to help you out.

friscokidd
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM

BUT.....i wouldnt spend any $$ on it to make it faster. Save your $$ for your next bike ;) And then do performance on that one. Learn first, play later (with experiance of course) :D