PDA

View Full Version : 01 gsxr 750 electrical

BeoBe
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ok so having a problem with the bike.. For some reason i can charge the battery up and the bike will start right up, i let it run for a good 5 min and shut it off and it will not start back up.. Have replaced the battery, all the cells have liquid in them etc. I was thinking maybe alternator or something?

If i let the bike sit overnight and go out the next day, when i turn the key it has juice to turn on the lights and work the brakes etc but nothing to turn over the bike??

If anyone knows the electrical system on these bikes or a way to determine where the problem is would be awesome... if not is there a shop or something that wouldn't charge or wouldn't charge much to hook it up to a comp or something to determine the problem?

Be-O-Be

rider955i
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I am also having electrical problems with my bike Tfog in golden has been good and I plan on going there on Saturday.

Richard
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM
that sounds like a problem that the 96-99 gsxrs has. its normally bad wireing. usually its just the voltage regulator harness shorts out. mine was alot of bad wireing, voltage regulator, starter solenoid, and alot of wires around the ecm were corroded or melted. I would start with checking the voltage regulator + the harness and the starter solenoid wires and fuse.

rider955i
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Mine ended up being the voltage regulator/rectifier new one cost me $120 and is an easy replacement. The stator can also cause problems similar to the non charging battery.

merlin
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Where abouts are you? I have no current plans for Sunday afternoon, and God knows I've had to jack with electrical enough. I have a multi-meter and I'm not afraid to use it!

Merlyn

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Ok so having a problem with the bike.. For some reason i can charge the battery up and the bike will start right up, i let it run for a good 5 min and shut it off and it will not start back up.. Have replaced the battery, all the cells have liquid in them etc. I was thinking maybe alternator or something?

If i let the bike sit overnight and go out the next day, when i turn the key it has juice to turn on the lights and work the brakes etc but nothing to turn over the bike??

If anyone knows the electrical system on these bikes or a way to determine where the problem is would be awesome... if not is there a shop or something that wouldn't charge or wouldn't charge much to hook it up to a comp or something to determine the problem?

Be-O-Be

You probably have a bad regulator/rectifier, a common failure on 96-03 GSXRs. You may also have a bad starter relay. If you PM me, I can walk you through some simple checks with a voltmeter that will help isolate the problem.

Sortarican
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Here's one Stator/Rectifier testing source:
http://thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm
Some initial testing with a multi-meter can tell you a lot.

You need an ammeter to do a more thorough test.

Good luck, I hate chasing electrical ghosts.