PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Race Tech Springs

pilot
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Recently, a question was posed as to how to identify the spring rate of a Race Tech spring.
"Speaking on race tech and suspension...

I picked mine up off ebay and I have no clue as to what spring is on there. Does anyone know where the serial number or any information is on the rear shock spring? Mine's red and that's really the only way I've been able to identify it so far. I'm wanting to know if I have to right spring for my weight."
A number may be visible on the end of the spring (if the spring has been used then the number may be worn away). This number may have the rate in kg/mm at the end of it.

One can then go to the race tech site and compare the part numbers with the number found on the spring. This, along with the rider weight calculation chart (on-line at RT) will provide the rider with a good ballpark as to whether or not the spring is close to their needs.

Spring rate can be calculated using a spring rate compressor, home made (use safe methods) or at a bike/car/spring shop, or by doing a bit of measuring and math.

With or without the "rate" information, if the sag rate is correct after install, and adjustment of preload, generally 30-35 mm for street use on sport bikes and 25-30 for the track, then the spring is most likely correct for the rider.

Pilot

pauliep
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
So after I get my sag set is when I'll know if I got the spring for me or not basically if I don't see any numbers on the spring?

pilot
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
So after I get my sag set is when I'll know if I got the spring for me or not basically if I don't see any numbers on the spring?That is pretty much it. With or without numbers, it all works the same. Here is the pinch. If you have to use all of your preload to set the sag where it needs to be for just you riding, then when you ride with a passenger you've no room for increasing preload.

pauliep
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Fingers crossed that I have the right spring.