PDA

View Full Version : Intoduction to Road Racing Clinic

jplracing
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Everyone,

A number of us have been fielding questions from riders who are interested in road racing in Colorado. These questions have ranged from what kind of gear should a new racer buy, to what needs to be done to the bike to meet the minimum “tech” standards, what are the differences in street and race tires, and where can a new person get the information they need to start racing.

So what the answer? A number of us were brainstorming about how to help people that are interested make the jump to being a racer. What we came up with is an Introduction to Motorcycle Road racing Clinic.

We would like to invite any all riders that have any interest in becoming a licensed road racer to this clinic.

When: Sunday April 6th 10:30am
Where Vanmar
3945 E 50th Ave
Denver, CO

Cost: FREE!

We will have presentations from:

Joe LoGalbo – who will be talking about bike prep
Kris Hillman – who will be explaining the differences in quality gear
Mark Schellinger – who will talk about race tires versus street tires and how to get involved with the MRA (the local road racing club)
Dave Rose – who will be speaking about suspension and geometry set up

Scott Rybarik has also offered to BBQ lunch for everyone

Our goal for this clinic provide answers to basic questions and provide some insight how to make the transition from the street to the track. Hopefully we can maybe con some of you to come out and race

This clinic would be perfect for all the ladies that are thinking about racing in LOR and any new novice that needs help with all the things they have to do to get ready.

If you are interested please RSVP with Tammy Schellinger at 303-322-3221 or vanmarracing@mindspring.com (vanmarracing@mindspring.com)

Any questions please let me now…joe@rebellionmotorsports.com

arata954
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
ok, so for those of us in iraq, and dont get home until july on leave, or feb/mar 09, think we can do this again.. cause i REALLY want to go.

jplracing
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
sure if there is enough demand I don't see why we can't do it more than once

jplracing
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
bump

rybo
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
As the official BBQ genie for this event it would be good to know how many people are planning on coming so that I can have adequate food for all of you! Please drop a message here or drop me a PM so that I can get a bit of a head count! (sign up quickly I'm bound to run out of creative things to put behind your name soon!)

1. JPL- fearless organizer
2. Rybo- (pss...make him do the BBQ, doubt he can highside that)
3. Mark E Mark- FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET, ABLE TO...hell let's just ride!
4. Kris- watches after your hide
5. IRDave- king of the "spring rate"
6. (say) McVahhhhh- (on my list for making the highside joke)
7. PaulieP - hungry cuz he can't find his forks (no wonder he's so skinny) (on my list for making the highside joke)
8. Vehicle 1- owns two bikes, shouldn't it be vehicle 2?
9. Aracheon - Calamari isn't on the menu!
10. Shortcake - Thanks for not making a highside joke!
11. +1 Shortcake (must be konichd...since the topic doesn't glorify kawis he won't post in it)
12. Sortarican - is on my list for making the highside joke first....come see me at the grill Jeff, I've got a "special" meal planned for you!
13. Matty
14. Slo1299
15. JPrider
16. Bughunter
17. Sully
18. Slowster
19. ZXRider
20. RedSquirrel
21. Tammy!
22. Dirkterrell
23. CycleMonkey
24. 2Blue
25. Shineysideup
26. Curtis K.
27. Bob K.
28. Tim K.
29. Tim K. +1
30. Tim K. +2
31. Tim K. +3
32. Thadius
33. Motaboy
34. 500RGurl
35. GSXR Johnson
36. Sprtbkbabe
37. Sprtbkbabe's girl
38. Sprtbkbabe's other girl
39. SlayerMD
40. Mtnairlover
41. Mtnairlover +1

arata954
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 06:16 AM
sure if there is enough demand I don't see why we can't do it more than once

sweet. maybe something can be held in the end of july.. cause the next time i get home is feb/march 09

McVaaahhh
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
That's awesome guys, I'm in!

Might have one or two in two, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

--Brian

pauliep
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hopefully I have my forks back and I can ride over to the shin digg

Vehicle 1
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
This seems interesting... perfect excuse for a first step into racing. If nothing comes up I will show up :D

Aracheon
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Count me in! RSVP'ed.

Sortarican
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Great idea guys, just marked my calendar, emailing rsvp today.
Sortarican - aka: Jeff Silva

As the official BBQ genie for this event ....

Hey Scott, if you need any help or food/supplies just let me know.
(Though due to your track record, I won't be lending you my new grill.)

pauliep
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Scott, I know you like to cook the meat rare, I'd like mine a little well done if ya can :)

McVaaahhh
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Scott, I know you like to cook the meat rare, I'd like mine a little well done if ya can :)

I just hope he doesn't highside the grill. :squid:

pauliep
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Really depends on if it's someone else's grill

Aracheon
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I just hope he doesn't highside the grill. :squid:

:lol:

Shortcake
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Count me in for two!

Matty
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
count me in!!!!

don't plan on racing this year, have too many bills and the leg and hip aren't nearly 100% yet. Maybe for 'o9.

Also wouldn't mind learning about what classes the MRA offers vs WERA vs WSMC (Willow Spirngs Motorcycle Club equivalent to MRA).

Slo
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Please put me down as attending as well.

irdave
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
If there's anyone that's deployed while we're doing something like this, and you want the knowledge, let me know. I'd be happy to share what I know with everyone that's off being deployed.

I did my time as an 11B, so I have some idea.

rybo
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Bumping this up to the top! A week and a half away. Good people, good times and free food, how can you possibly go wrong?

JPrider
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Count me in!

BugHunter
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm in. What do you need me to bring?

Sully
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Rybo - can you add me to the list please. :)

LQ3
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm In!

ZX Rider
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Scott, it would be totally cool if you add me to the list. Thanks!!!

rybo
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hey Scott, if you need any help or food/supplies just let me know.
(Though due to your track record, I won't be lending you my new grill.)

I'm in. What do you need me to bring?

Thanks for the offers guys, if I need additional food or supplies I'll let you know.

Scott

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Man, I'm not interested in actually racing right now, but this should be very interesting. I might have to do this.

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I'm planning to attend.

Dirk

2Blue
Thu Mar 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm in.

Sean
Thu Mar 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
This sounds great, I'm in. Let me know if there is anything I can bring or help out with. Thanks for putting it on!

rybo
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
This is starting to get big!

Thanks to all who offered to bring something. I think what I'm going to do is ask that you bring a few bucks to help cover the cost of food and drink. I'll have a jar or something there and if you feel like helping out, you can just drop some cash in there.

Looking forward to this!

Scott

Thadius
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
+1 here. Great idea.

Vehicle 1
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'll have a jar or something there and if you feel like helping out, you can just drop some cash in there.

Fair enough Scott, thank you guys for organizing this!

D.

motaboy
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm in if there is still room. I tried to RSVP back on the 21st and never got a response. Oh well glad to see so much interest.

jplracing
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm in if there is still room. I tried to RSVP back on the 21st and never got a response. Oh well glad to see so much interest.

Motaboy-

No worries there is room

Joe

500rgurl
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I shall be there!! :)

gsxrjohnson
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'd be interested in the bike tech and gear info - put me down if there's still room!

-GSXRJohnson

rybo
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Just a few days away and we have almost 40 people lined up to attend! Please do me a favor and let me know if your name is on the list and you are NOT going to be there. Some of us are putting up our personal money to feed you on this day and I don't want to throw food away becuase you signed up and didn't show.

I'm excited to be a part of this and look forward to seeing all of you there.

Scott

ZX Rider
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think what I'm going to do is ask that you bring a few bucks to help cover the cost of food and drink. I'll have a jar or something there and if you feel like helping out, you can just drop some cash in there.

Scott

Perfectly fine with me!!!:)

slayermd
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
So I have to work on Sunday, but I can take a half day to get down there. So my question is, will the seminar still be going on around noon?

rybo
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I'm guessing that it will Truth be told racers love 'bench racing' and we're going to have a lot of racers in one place at one time. In all seriousness, we have a lot of people and I'm guessing there will be lots of questions, that and I'm cooking lunch, so I'm assuming we're planning on being there at lunch time!

I've PM'd you my phone number, feel free to call me when you're on your way if you're concerned about getting there too late.

I've added you to the list and will have a hot burger ready for you when you arrive!

Scott

Aracheon
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'll be there bright and early. Scott, I'll gladly pitch in for food and whatever else.

slayermd
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm guessing that it will Truth be told racers love 'bench racing' and we're going to have a lot of racers in one place at one time. In all seriousness, we have a lot of people and I'm guessing there will be lots of questions, that and I'm cooking lunch, so I'm assuming we're planning on being there at lunch time!

I've PM'd you my phone number, feel free to call me when you're on your way if you're concerned about getting there too late.

I've added you to the list and will have a hot burger ready for you when you arrive!

Scott

It doesnt get any better then Colorado hospitality! You will see me there at 12.

Sortarican
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
12. Sortarican - is on my list for making the highside joke first....come see me at the grill Jeff, I've got a "special" meal planned for you!

Naw Scott....I plan to get all those outta my system Sat. at IMI.:)

Let me know if you need a hand with getting the grub out to the masses.
I may have no track skills but I do have kitchen skillz.

Spiderman
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
This is a great idea!!!

Scott, would there be enough food if a Deported canadian managed to sneak in for an impromptu visit? :D

rybo
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Jeff,

I Just noticed your new avatar pic. If I ever get a set of custom leathers made I want to do them in the fashion or "The Greatest American Hero"

Naw Scott....I plan to get all those outta my system Sat. at IMI.:)

Let me know if you need a hand with getting the grub out to the masses.
I may have no track skills but I do have kitchen skillz.

rybo
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
This is a great idea!!!

Scott, would there be enough food if a Deported canadian managed to sneak in for an impromptu visit? :D

Of course! I'll even give you half off the regular price!

Sortarican
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM

..and I'll bring some Canadian bacon.

Spiderman
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Sweet! :D

..and I'll bring some Canadian bacon.
What is that again? Cuz I'm from Canada, and the bacon they have there is the same bacon you have here! :wtf:

Sean
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Anybody going from boulder-ish area? pm if you want to meet up.

...there's going to be bacon? sweeeeeet.

TFOGGuys
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
This is a great idea!!!

:music: It's no fun, bein' an illegal ali-en:music:

How's the job hunt going, Bob?

Aracheon
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
9. Aracheon - Calamari isn't on the menu!

You bastard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dirkterrell
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Anybody going from boulder-ish area? pm if you want to meet up.

I'll PM you shortly...

:lol:

Dirk

Spiderman
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM

How's the job hunt going, Bob?
:lol: Thanks Jim!

I'm in town for a couple of interviews, so I guess it's going pretty good at the moment. Hopefully something comes of one of them. :)

Slo
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks to everyone that put this on for us newbies!!!!

dirkterrell
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, thank you Joe for the great idea to do this and the tips on bike prep. Scott, thanks for the yummy food. Dave, thanks for giving us a little peek into the complexities of suspensions and how to communicate issues to people like yourself who know how to adjust things to get the most out of the bike. And big props to Mark and Tammy for hosting it and Mark for some awesome insight into tires. I learned a lot today!

Dirk

mtnairlover
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
This thing definitely would benefit lots of aspiring racers. You guys did an awesome job and just making others aware of the scads of help that is out there for those interested in racing is a definite plus.

Thanks guys!

Aracheon
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I learned a lot today as well. Thanks to EVERYONE who helped to make this a success!

:D

Sully
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
:up:.. BIG Thanks to those who put this on today ! :bow:

JPrider
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM

:applause::applause: +1

slayermd
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Things I learned:

1. Road racing is expensive!
2. I finally got some good insight on the suspension of a bike.
3. Tires (Heat cycle, rubber balls etc...)
4. What to look for in buying good leathers

I had a good time at my first CSC event. It was really a nice deal to be able to listen to the experts give us learners a heads up. And even though I really dont plan on racing, what I learned will help me on the street. Thanks!!

pauliep
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Yeah, what she said

Shortcake
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks to all of you!! I learned a ton! What a great day!:D

ps. scott... you grill a mean burger!

ZX Rider
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks to all of you!! I learned a ton! What a great day!:D

ps. scott... you grill a mean burger!

+1 :)
Good stuff.

Redflash3
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Great event, learned alot about the racing aspects of getting involved and what it takes to get started. The speakers were very informative and frank about gear, tires and suspension. The food was good to! :hump:

Sean
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Top notch!!!! :yay:

It was great guys and gals. Really professionally done, great info, nice people willing to help and great food; what else could a rider want? Thanks for all of the time and effort that was put into it. I can't wait to get a little track time in now. Also great to see a bunch of faces I hadn't seen since last season!

Events and support like this, are just one of the many reasons, I'm grateful to be part of this group!

06sv1000s
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
in the first part of the thread csc talked about doing this again. is there any plan on this? Sounds like a very informative group that I could learn something from. Don't plan on racing(not till the wife starts working) but would give great insight on what it takes to start and maybe slowly build up the gear and other things.

Thx in advance.

mayhem
Mon Jul 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
n/m

jplracing
Mon Jul 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
in the first part of the thread csc talked about doing this again. is there any plan on this? Sounds like a very informative group that I could learn something from. Don't plan on racing(not till the wife starts working) but would give great insight on what it takes to start and maybe slowly build up the gear and other things.

Thx in advance.

SV1000 - we don't have anything planned. However if there is enough interest we can put something together.....So if there is enough interest let me know

If you need any individual questions answered PM me or email me at joe@rebellionmotorsports.com and I will get you the info you need

Joe

Tipys
Mon Jul 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
After having so much fun at the track yesturday I want to learn as much as I can about racing.