PDA

View Full Version : What is a notched bearing?

DavidofColorado
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
The guy at faster said I have one and its not cheap to fix. What is it and how hard would it be for a DIY kind of thing?
Are the steering bearings pressed in there and is it something that I should have a shop do?
Its nothing against the shop and having them do work. But I like doing a lot of things myself. So I wanted some information on it.

Bashed
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It means your steering head bearing/bearings have a "notch"
in the races. This can be caused by several factors which include improper maintenance, "keeping them properly adjusted and lubed", abuse," hard landings from wheelies and stoppies, no use," rusting", ect, ect.
You will have to remove the front wheel, front fender, front brakes, handle bars, triple tree assy, and remove the races from the frame. Then you need to reverse the procedure in the best Clymer Manual wording to get reassembled.
Of course you need to safely support the motorcycle as to not impede you work and get the job done correctly.
Buy a manual, and a buddy to help, and have fun learning to work on your own bike.

Later Bash

ChrisCBX
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I had to replace the steering head bearings on both of my ancient (and all stock) CBX's. One was notched and the other acted like it was gear driven.

As Bashed said, it is an interesting but challenging job. You may need proper bearing drivers as well to install new bearings.

DavidofColorado
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
It can be done though? I will look into getting the parts. Reading the manual on the subject. I still may decide on having them do it for me.
Thanks.

TFOGGuys
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
We can get you the bearings you need for ~$40. If you decide not to install them yourself, it's about 2 hours shop labor....

dattaway
Sun Mar 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Tools required: punch and a hammer. Tap it out like any roller bearing.

Parts: bring the old bearings to any industrial supply or bearing distributor. They will have an exact match to engineering stock. Should be $10 to $20. I'm sure dealers would charge far more.