PDA

View Full Version : No Anti-Freeze for MRA School(3-22-08)?

2Blue
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I received my confirmation letter last night and it states that the bike can not have any anti-freeze in it. The problem is I plan on staying the night in pueblo which means the bike will be outside on the trailer. If the temp drops below 32F then I risk damaging my bike with water wetter installed.

Due to the time of year can't the school over look this? Any thoughts?

Sully
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
You can drain it comletely and add water wetter the morning of class.

rybo
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I received my confirmation letter last night and it states that the bike can not have any anti-freeze in it. The problem is I plan on staying the night in pueblo which means the bike will be outside on the trailer. If the temp drops below 32F then I risk damaging my bike with water wetter installed.

No anti freeze EVER at pueblo.

Drain the system before you travel and fill it with straight distilled water in the morning. Drain it again when the day is done. No water wetter required on these early spring days, the bike will run plenty cool.

Scott

rybo
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
You can drain it comletely and add water wetter the morning of class.

Dang that Sully sure is fast...

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
First off, you don't need Water Wetter. It's never going to get hot enough to matter, and bikes run just fine on plain ol' water when they aren't frozen or baked.

Second ... are you storing it in an enclosed trailer? It takes a fair amount of time for the latent heat in the water to dissipate, which means it won't just turn to a block of ice if the temps drop below 32, at least for some time. The issue with draining it all is that you never get it all out, and those small volumes of water left in there can actually freeze faster.

Depending on the overnight temp, assuming it isn't going to be arctic-cold (like mid 20's or lower), just run it for several minutes in the evening and really let it all get to operating temp - this means running it until the thermostat opens, and then letting it warm back up from the dip. The water and metal will store heat for quite a while in an enclosed trailer and should be fine.

dragos13
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Trust me, you wont want the school to overlook something like this. When you go flying into turn one and find a nice long trail of slick antifreeze, you will understand why. Or any corner for that matter.

The biggest issue is that there will be a lot of street bikes out there. They wont have the lower belly pan that will usually be there incase you start leaking fluids. That means the fluid drops right onto the track, usually right in the race line.

Like they said above, drain it and dont bother filling until that morning. Then, before you leave drain it again. That will make you be sure that everything is out, and can leave the rest of the field confident that they wont be tucking a front on some spilt fluids.

2Blue
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll drain it here and fill it at the track. The current weather prediction for that weekend has a low of 25F.

Any tips on refilling the radiator? Not sure if my bike has a bleeder valve for removing air bubbles.

Thanks again!!

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Fill til full, then burp the lines by squeezing all of them along their entire length. Cap it, get the bike completely warmed up to circulate the water, then top it back off (you will want to let it cool down a bit before popping that cap!).

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
FYI, at Bob's trackday I went down the night before and it dropped below freezing. I have an open trailer. I just ran it until it was at 180F, then I wrapped blankets around it and went to bed. I got up in the middle of the night, ran it to 180F again and went back to bed. No problems at all.

Dirk

2Blue
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah I think I am ready for the class. I have full leathers, boots, gloves back protector and brand new 2Ct's.

Feel free to comment on anything else that I might need or should bring to the track.

Oh yeah.....thought about finding a cheap hotel room to put my bike in.

Thanks!!!

JPrider
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
2Blue
I will see you there and good topic by the way. I was thinking the same thing when I got my confirmation. So is Water Wetter recommended or can just plain water work?

JP

2Blue
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
2Blue
I will see you there and good topic by the way. I was thinking the same thing when I got my confirmation. So is Water Wetter recommended or can just plain water work?

JP

I hear water wetter has the benefit of being corrosion resistent and is better for the water pump. I'm probably going to go with water wetter even though people have said that's overkill for this time of year and distilled water should be fine. I just want to have everything ready before I get to the track. It's my luck that something would leak or break if I tried to do some maintenance that morning! The solution for now is to sleep with the bike in a cheap hotel to avoid the freezing temps. Kind of shady I know, but for now it will have to do.

See ya there!

rybo
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I hear water wetter has the benefit of being corrosion resistent and is better for the water pump. I'm probably going to go with water wetter even though people have said that's overkill for this time of year and distilled water should be fine. I just want to have everything ready before I get to the track. It's my luck that something would leak or break if I tried to do some maintenance that morning! The solution for now is to sleep with the bike in a cheap hotel to avoid the freezing temps. Kind of shady I know, but for now it will have to do.

See ya there!

Blue, JP,

There is no advantage to water wetter this time of year. Distilled water doesn't have any minerals in it to cause damage to the cooling system and the water pump is lubricated from the outside, not by the water or coolant. Feel free to use it, you won't do any harm, but it's a waste of money this time of year.

As far as other things to bring to the track: Full face made in the last 5 years. Gloves that extend beyond your wrists, boots that extend above the ankles. You'll also need a back protector.

There are lots of things that are a "good idea" to have:

Lots of fluids to stay hydrated. A notebook and pen, something for shade, a basic set of tools just in case.

Good luck, have fun and be safe. The last thing I can suggest bringing is a good attitude. No one wins any money or trophies at race school. Concentrate at being really good at the skills, fast will come with practice.

Scott

RyNo24
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Oh yeah.....thought about finding a cheap hotel room to put my bike in.

Thanks!!!

Lol, get one of those ground level motel rooms and just roll it straight in for the night. Orange Country Choppers once worked on a broken bike in a ground level motel room in one episode.

2Blue
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Blue, JP,

There is no advantage to water wetter this time of year. Distilled water doesn't have any minerals in it to cause damage to the cooling system and the water pump is lubricated from the outside, not by the water or coolant. Feel free to use it, you won't do any harm, but it's a waste of money this time of year.

As far as other things to bring to the track: Full face made in the last 5 years. Gloves that extend beyond your wrists, boots that extend above the ankles. You'll also need a back protector.

There are lots of things that are a "good idea" to have:

Lots of fluids to stay hydrated. A notebook and pen, something for shade, a basic set of tools just in case.

Good luck, have fun and be safe. The last thing I can suggest bringing is a good attitude. No one wins any money or trophies at race school. Concentrate at being really good at the skills, fast will come with practice.

Scott

Right on!!

Thanks man!

2Blue
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Lol, get one of those ground level motel rooms and just roll it straight in for the night. Orange Country Choppers once worked on a broken bike in a ground level motel room in one episode.

I think I found one on the ground floor with roll in access....:hump:

konichd
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Here is a handy track day checklist I compiled with a couple other board member's list. This should give you a good basic idea on what you need and what else you have to do in order to prepare for track days.

pauliep
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Dave, I know it's early, did ya come up with a game plan for the week?

konichd
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
^^^Can only go down on Sunday. I have to replace the water pump cover, drop the front end 5mm, and finish up some small odds/ends on Saturday.

RyNo24
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Here is a handy track day checklist I compiled with a couple other board member's list. This should give you a good basic idea on what you need and what else you have to do in order to prepare for track days.

Very nice checklist. I have never been to a track, but that checklist seems to cover all the bases and would be very helpful to a first timer. I know it always sucks when you forget something every important, and a checklist would have made you remember.

One question though on the checklist, are "Joe Rocket" Gloves really required lol.

pauliep
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Have fun guys, looks like I can't make it this weekend

konichd
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Very nice checklist. I have never been to a track, but that checklist seems to cover all the bases and would be very helpful to a first timer. I know it always sucks when you forget something every important, and a checklist would have made you remember.

One question though on the checklist, are "Joe Rocket" Gloves really required lol.

:lol: Perhaps I should have said its my personal checklist. Weird especially since I wear Alpine Stars :drink:

2Blue
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Awesome!!

Thanks!

JPrider
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks all for the info and thanks Konichd for the checklist.:up:

motaboy
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Besides the water, what other tech issues need to be addressed for the school? I'm planning on attending the April class and I've safety wired most of the bike and I have race fairings.

dragos13
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Here you go:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer

rybo
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Besides the water, what other tech issues need to be addressed for the school? I'm planning on attending the April class and I've safety wired most of the bike and I have race fairings.

Personal:

Full face helmet made in the last 5 years
All leather one or two piece suit (must zip all the way around at the waist)
Boots that extend above the ankles
Gloves that extend beyond the wrists
Back protector

Bike:

For the class safety wiring isn't required, but for the races it is
Coolant drained and flushed, replaced with straight water or water with water wetter
all lights disconnected and taped over
mirrors removed
tires with at least 50% tread remaining
brake pads with at least 50% remaining
all parts installed in a workman like fashion. Bolts secure etc
No leaks (including fork seals)

Hope that helps

rybo
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Casey is smarter than me...

motaboy
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
That's it? Then I guess I'm ready. Thanks for the info.

dragos13
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Casey is smarter than me...

no im just lazy and figured i'd let him do all the work. you are just much nicer then i am :)

dragos13
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That's it? Then I guess I'm ready. Thanks for the info.

If you need help with anything stop by the Young Blood Racing pits. We'll have a blue Yamaha Coyote canopy and a white one. One blue yamaha bike and one green kawasaki. Say hi and get some free Monster Energy drinks!!!!!

This goes for all racers at the track. We will have Monster Energy all year for handouts plus lots of other stuff from various sponsors. Make sure to stop by!!!

D Berns R6
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM
like free nopi girl calendars?!?

dragos13
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Nopi Calendar??? We will have the actual girls in our pit!!! oh yea, nice day to be a kawi :-)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/dragosracer/BrothersBBQ/CIMG1339.jpg

motaboy
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the invite. Got one more question. Are the Galfer Superbike lines MRA legal since they do not have a banjo bolt at the caliper? I ask because I don't know how or if I need to safety wire these lines at the direct connection that these lines have. I'm changing my M/C to a radial unit and I want to make sure I won't have an issue when I get my bike tech'ed.

dragos13
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Lets check the rulebook on that one:

Chapter 5.2 Paragraph O

All fluid-carrying hoses or lines must be secured at all connecting points by clamps, safety wire, or other approved means.

Chapter 5.2 Paragraph U

All nuts or fittings which drain fluid when removed, as well as filler caps (except fuel cap) or nuts, and filters must be secured with safety wire or other approved means.

You might still need to safety wire those bolts. If not, you will atleast need to use silicone on them. Maybe the MRA tech can speak up on this subject, or just post something over on the MRA board.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hey Derek-

You look a little mesmerized there buddy...:lol:

Nopi Calendar??? We will have the actual girls in our pit!!! oh yea, nice day to be a kawi :-)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/dragosracer/BrothersBBQ/CIMG1339.jpg

UglyDogRacing
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Siliconing the fittings on the Galfer superbike lines instead of safety wiring has been legal for at least the past 2 season.... or Tech hasnt said anything to me.

D Berns R6
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hey Derek-

You look a little mesmerized there buddy...:lol:

I'm wondering what the hell those girls are doing on the Monster Truck?!?!