PDA

View Full Version : street legal conversion?

thaitanic
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
i have 07 XR650R, where do i start to make my bike street legal, i've seen WR and XR out there with tags, so i know it can be done but how? where do i start? please help

DavidofColorado
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM
License plate, headlight, street tires. I think that is it?

DeKay
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM
License plate, headlight, street tires. I think that is it?
Another sad attempt at humor?

guessinthe2000
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
what if you are not going ride at night? does he still need headlights?

lovinCO
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Talk to Bart at Faster, he's converted a few dirtbikes to street and can offer direction.

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Required: Headlight (if riding between dusk and dawn, recommended all other times), Tail light visible from 200 feet from the rear, brake light, 1 mirror, and a horn. License plate must be readily visible in a horizontal position, and illuminated to a distance of 50 feet at night. DOT legal tires are required.

That's the law. Reality is, DOT tires are irrelevant unless the LEO involved decides to do a penis impression.

You'll need to get a VIN verification, insurance, and fill out a certificate of compliance. Take all of the above to the County Clerk's office, along with your Certificate of Origin or title, pay your money, and leave with a license plate.

DavidofColorado
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Another sad attempt at humor?
I'm never funny.
But that is what I thought it would take. I said street tires because I have talked to a few cops that think nobby tires are worst thing on the street since they got a badge and will take the time to harrass you about it.

That is what I knew about it but there is other stuff that others have mentioned.
I have seen a lot of people with less. At a minimum one can use hand signals. You know stop, right, left and my favorite, your from california here's the finger.

DavidofColorado
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Talk to Bart at Faster, he's converted a few dirtbikes to street and can offer direction.
They have a motard there too if you want to look at one and see what it looks like.

Buddau
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
What if I bought my bike used, and do not have a certificate of origin nor do I have a legal bill of sale, just a hand writen paper stating that I bought a dirt bike from a guy.
What can I do then? Is it worth the hassel?

Bueller
Tue Mar 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Make your own bill of sale and put the lowest reasonable purchace price, you'll pay sales tax on the purchase amount.

On the BOS state that the vehicle is "for off road use" (very important!)

P.S. this is for educational use only. I do not condone the falsifying of legal doucuments or holding back on the war effort.

BrokenR1
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
They'll tax you on the book value. And my YZ didn't have a title. When I bought it I wrote "For offroad use only" on the bill of sale after the fact. The bill of sale was just written between us. Then I got the VIN inspection, filled out the Compliance certificate and registered it. I now have a street legal YZ250. You do need headlights but they don't have to be on during the day. I made mine out of Trailtechs HID helmet lights that run off a battery so I can change it if I ever change bikes. The only thing not technically legal are my tires. When they wear I'll put DOT's on.

TFOGGuys
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
from the back of the Certificate of Compliance:

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR HIGHWAY USE
FOR A TWO-WHEELED MOTORCYCLE
Head Lamps
At least one and not more than two head lamps. Every head lamp shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not
more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.
Tail and Stop Lamps and Reflectors
At least one tail lamp, one stop lamp and one reflex reflector. Such lamps and reflectors may be incorporated in a single unit and shall be at a
height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 72 inches or less than 15 inches.
Note: Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps used as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway use.
Brakes
At least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.
Horn
Horn must be in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions for a distance of not less than 200 feet.
Muffler
An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise.
Mirror
A mirror so located and so constructed to reflect to the rider a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the
rear of such motorcycle.
Tires
Equipped with tires designed for highway use.
Motive Power
(Must have at least 50 c.c. Less is motorized bicycle and cannot be titled.)
Shall have motive power adequate to propel the vehicle at speeds which will not interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

Link to form (http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/formspdf/2686.pdf)