PDA

View Full Version : Need new tires...what do I pick?

sky_blue
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Spring!! Time to put on the miles!!

Looked at my tires the other day, and I'm fast creeping up on my wear bars. Got a bit over 6K miles on these stock tires, with mostly commuting, some weekend canyons, and 2 track days. They are Dunlop Qualifiers (I think and I am too lazy to walk out to the bike right now). I've liked them ok...they were my first real sport tire, so I can't really compare them to anything. The only times I've felt loss of traction are running at full pressure on the track (i am idiot), and hitting those tar snake thingies in the mountains.

I had my heart set on Pilot Powers, just because I had read a good review about them a few years ago, and this is the first bike I've owned with wide enough wheels for the sizes offered. But then this morning, I read a mediocre review, and now I am conflicted.

Obviously, I'm not expecting any kind of consensus on "best tire"...but here's what I want:
-Moderate longevity. I've read of people getting 2K on Pilot Powers. Drat! I don't want to be buying tires every six weeks. If I didn't get 5K out of a tire, I'd be pissed.
-Sticky enough to do novice-speed trackdays and save me when I go into Rist Canyon corners a bit hot.

I'm almost tempted to put on a sport touring tire.

Anyone have or know of like a chart, showing popular brands/models, their prices, intended uses, expected life?

RyNo24
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Pilot Powers, grip like your on rails and give lot-o-confidence.

You cannot go wrong with the Michiliene Man!

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I don't know of any comparison charts, but found a review website...http://motorcycletirereviews.com/tires.html and then found a discount sport tour tire website...http://www.sporttour.com/tires/motorcycle.htm

I like the Avon ST Storms. I've ridden with them everywhere, including the track. But, take a look at all the sport touring tires and take your pick. The second website also offers a description of all the tires they have available.

Oh and Gary (DuckSTer) also uses the Storms, as well as all the Ducati guys on his forum.

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm almost tempted to put on a sport touring tire.

Something like the Pilot Road 2 (http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004104045&codePage=2092004104045_13032007105938&lang=EN) dual compound tire might be good for what you describe. They're harder than the Pilot Power in the center but have the Pilot Power compound on the edges. I'm going to be putting a set on the VFR soon. They're new and a little pricey but I've heard good stories on longevity and stickiness from people who have them.

Dirk

Sortarican
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Went through the same evaluation process over the last few weeks.
Decided to go with Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's, picking them up today.
I'll let you know how they perform after I get a couple miles on them.

VFR
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
2CT's they are absolutely wonderful on grip and the wear is decent.

I am on M3's right now and I am not impressed. I take it alot easier on them because they just feel like a tire, I am not feeling the stick I like. Will be replacing them this summer with another set of 2CT's

dragos13
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
2CT's they are absolutely wonderful on grip and the wear is decent.

I am on M3's right now and I am not impressed. I take it alot easier on them because they just feel like a tire, I am not feeling the stick I like. Will be replacing them this summer with another set of 2CT's

+1 for Michelin 2CT's. For street riding, thats the only rubber I use. Head up to Faster Motosports and see what they can do for you. Or contact the Michelin reps directly at Vanmar Racing.

Faster: 303-825-0975
Michelin: 303-944-0334

sky_blue
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
With these dual compound tires (I really like the the idea of them) does anyone say they can feel the difference in the compounds as they lean the bike over? Like if you are leaned over half way, would you be on the two different surfaces? Or does the compound change gradually?

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
+1 for Michelin 2CT's. For street riding, thats the only rubber I use. Head up to Faster Motosports and see what they can do for you. Or contact the Michelin reps directly at Vanmar Racing.

Did you guys even read her post? http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif The 2CTs are awesome tires (I use them on the Gixxer) but they are not the fit for her requirements, primarily longevity. The Road 2's sound like the fit to me.

Dirk

VFR
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:33 AM
With these dual compound tires (I really like the the idea of them) does anyone say they can feel the difference in the compounds as they lean the bike over? Like if you are leaned over half way, would you be on the two different surfaces? Or does the compound change gradually?

If you are on both compounds then your lean isn't drastic enough to cause an upset. On the street thats no biggy. The softer compound on the walls just gives you a faster heating cycle so the walls temp will be hotter and sticker than the middle, which you want. Being on both compounds is not a far enough lean to upset anything...You will not feel it. But you will feel the grip, which on 2CT is awesome.

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM

I have never noticed that transition. It's at a pretty high angle when you go from center to edge compound, so you're not putting a lot of lateral force on them at the transition.

Dirk

VFR
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Did you guys even read her post? http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif The 2CTs are awesome tires (I use them on the Gixxer) but they are not the fit for her requirements, primarily longevity. The Road 2's sound like the fit to me.

Dirk

She ran Qualifiers......Not 2CT she just heard a review about them. The 2CT will last longer than the Powers because the middle will wear slowly and I have friends that pull 3 full track days on them before the walls get to thin so for the streets they will do great

RyNo24
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I may put the pilot road 2's on my FZ1 if they are really this good. I had pilot powers on my FZ6 and loved them. My Pilot Road 1's are not too bad for being a stock rubber.

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The 2CT will last longer than the Powers because the middle will wear slowly and I have friends that pull 3 full track days on them before the walls get to thin so for the streets they will do great

The 2CT center is like the Power. The edges are softer than the Power. So, for commuting, the 2CT will be no better than the Power. The Road 2 has a harder center and a Power-like compound on the edges- best of both worlds.

Dirk

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
The Storms are the same way and I've put about 8000 miles each time I've gone through a set. Jen, you've seen how I ride, so you know the kind of grip they have. I've never felt squeemish in turns...always felt full grip and lots of confidence with them.

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you of anything;-)

Rednarb
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
The SV guys rave about the Conti Road Attacks, but then again the SV is 30 ponies down on you Arr Arr. I think I'm going that route when I make the swap.

salsashark
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The SV guys rave about the Conti Road Attacks, but then again the SV is 30 ponies down on you Arr Arr. I think I'm going that route when I make the swap.

I had a set on my Triumph and had no problems with them. Will probably put a set on the 14 this spring.

Reports I've seen routinely put the mileage for road attacks on 5K+

I've heard 3K'sh for the sport attacks, but they are much softer.

Plus, you can buy them on Amazon! :lol:

arata954
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
diablo rosso :)

konichd
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have 2CT's and I'm not impressed. The new Brigestone BT002 Race/Streets are my new found friend :)

Sortarican
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Almost went with the Rosso's but plan to track these wheels for a couple outings.
Figured the dual compound on the Diablo III's would give better performance.
By summer I'm hoping to have another set of wheels and switch between them for track/road riding.

Interested in hearing how you like the Rossos, post up when you get some miles on them.

Spy007
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
THe first set of PP's I had saw over 6k miles on them.... defiantely worth it

2CT's are next!

highpsi03
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I just got pilot powers for my r6.. Now if i could find someone to mount them..

dragos13
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

Call Faster Motosports 303-825-0975

Tell them you are a member of the CSC and get special discount! Best place in town, IMO!!!

merlin
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I ran the Corsa 3s on the Buell a while back- Loved the grip, got 4K out of the set. The front was actually squared off when I took it off.

Getting another set in May :: chuckle ::

Stay away from Shinkos. I have a set on now. They are *almost* dead at 9700 miles, which is cool- but they are cracking in what little bit of tread they have left. Look dry-rotted, but considering the longest the bike has sat since I put those on is 2-3 weeks- I ain't buying it. Grip wasn't all that either, and the profile is all kinds of rounded- so they tun in slow.

Merlyn

pauliep
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
motosport.com had great prices, no tax, and free shipping

ihavealegohead
Thu Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM

Let me know what you think.. I am considering diablo rosso's on my R6...

tarded400
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I bought PPs to put on the SV, and now I'm kicking myself for paying for soft rubber when all I do is commute.

arata954
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
unless someone gets to rosso's before i need new shoes, i will post what i think of em up here. but pilot was at the review they did at willow springs with em, and i loved the article in roadracingworld. its why i am going with them

txrc51fatboy
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
i bought 3 sets of pp2ct last yr, they might last you one maybe two novice trackdays. i will never put another set of michelins on my bike again.
diablo super corsas right now, corsa IIIs are next

diablo rosso is what you want, should give you easy 5k miles. you can subtract about 500 miles for each trackday you do

sky_blue
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
UPDATE-----------------

If anyone wants to know what Pilot Road 2CT look like with a trackday on them here ya go. A trackday in the slow group I'll admit, but as many laps as I could run in 7 or 8 full sessions.

I ran them pretty close to the air pressure I run on the street, 30-35, I think. Turn 3 at Pueblo is my favorite, and they felt stuck like glue there.

And it's a hoot to tell people you did a track day on a touring tire.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/sky_blue909/600rr/P9061162.jpgrear

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/sky_blue909/600rr/P9061163.jpgfront

fullgrownbear
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
+1 on the Pilot Road 2's. Just bought a set - have put about 1200 miles on them, and can't say a bad thing about them. They are perfect for the street. They do not inspire quite the same amount of confidence as the Corsa III's I had, but then again - I got a wopping 2200 miles out of my corsa's. Screw that - I'm staying with a street/touring tire.

G35CO
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
+1 on the PR2. Rode them for almost 3k and love them.