PDA

View Full Version : Getting sportbike into a tall pickup? What do you guys use?

Xtremjeepn
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I have a lifted classic crew cab Chevy on 37s that I would occasionally need to get a sport bike into. (take it to the shop etc.)
What do you guys use? I was considering mounting a hoist in the truck anyway to lift heavy objects into the bed.

It would need a mile long ramp and you would be tread height by the time you got it to the bed.

salsashark
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I would suggest using a trailer...

If you have a recurring need to move bikes, definitely a trailer.

Even if you hoist the bike into the bed, what are the chances that the shop is going to have a hoist to get it out? Or do you plan on taking the hoist with you?

It was enough of a hassle to put a bike in the back of my truck and I have a no lift dodge ram on 33's. If Frisco hadn't have been there to assist, I shudder to think of the potential outcomes... Thanks again for that Frisco...

Fly boy
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I back up to a burm, or something with raised ground, then use my ATV ramp

Xtremjeepn
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have no room or desire to store a trailer.

I am talking a bed mounted hoist that is permanent to the truck.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.benmeadows.com/store/assets/product_images_XL/bmv126446s.jpg

atrainthornton
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
short ramp...speed...balance.....or you can use mine whenever you need it...
just flash back to college and riding up stairs, but with no railing and little room for error :shocked:

How is that beast since i last saw it.

TFOGGuys
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
We use an 89 inch curved ramp, combined with the dip (not me, dammit) in the parking lot, which lowers the tailgate about a foot. In the past I have "borrowed" a loading dock to achieve the same thing.

Aracheon
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I've never been comfortable with loading my bike into a larger or lifted truck even using my curved ramp. That damn thing is just too narrow. I suppose I'd be okay if I had a massive Black Widow ramp, but I didn't feel like spending $300 on one either:

http://www.rampconnection.com/bw7.jpg

So what I do now is find a way to back the tailgate up to someplace raised (like a burm or higher ground) and then place my 10" wooden ramps in front of the front tires. Put that bitch in 4WD, drive up on the ramps, which usually lowers the gate just enough to where the bike will clear with my ATV ramp.

fullgrownbear
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I bought a 2" by 12" solid board from the home depot. It's about 8 feet long and works perfect.

I think I spent 30 bucks.

DavidofColorado
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Weld something up. I can help if you need me to. You got the truck ready for the road or do I still have time?

CurtisRR
Thu Mar 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
You can goto Sears and pick up a set of riding lawn mower ramps for $120. These ramps fold and are curved. Walk up one while using the bikes own power to get it up the other.

McVaaahhh
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
A 2x4 and a milk-crate should do fine. :D

mayhem
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
any 6' motorcycle ramp, and pull your truck into the street with your rear tires in the gutter....should lower your truck and give you a good downhill start

Sortarican
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I am talking a bed mounted hoist that is permanent to the truck.

Harbor Feight has them fairly cheap.

konichd
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why not just buy a foldable trailer? The hoist sounds like a fuckin' horrible idea, a 100 dollar Harbor Frieght hoist to lift your expensive bike? Dumb.....

The foldable trialer can be stored pretty conveniently and you won't have such a great risk of damaging your bike or yourself by trying to get it into your bed.

By the time you spend $$$ on a "hoist" you could have bought a small trailer.

Jennifer
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
You can use my drive way.....it's very steep....and when you park in the street the ramp is horizontal. Ask Mike from Faster....he knows

Aracheon
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
You can use my drive way.....it's very steep....and when you park in the street the ramp is horizontal. Ask Mike from Faster....he knows

Uh, he's looking for a permanent solution. He can't exactly take your driveway with him in the truck to unload the bike at another destination. ;)

AshliRider44
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM
A ramp and some muscle :)

McVaaahhh
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Why not just buy a foldable trailer? The hoist sounds like a fuckin' horrible idea, a 100 dollar Harbor Frieght hoist to lift your expensive bike? Dumb.....

The foldable trialer can be stored pretty conveniently and you won't have such a great risk of damaging your bike or yourself by trying to get it into your bed.

By the time you spend $$$ on a "hoist" you could have bought a small trailer.

As opposed to a $250 Harbor Freight folding trailer? :shock:

konichd
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
^^^Would you put the RC on a Harbor Frieght trailer? ;)

D Berns R6
Fri Mar 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
A ramp and some muscle :)

+1 I've found that a ramp works really well when a dilemma like this arises....:)

rider955i
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
You could probably use a similar method to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKz3c--mB4

salsashark
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
^^

:lol:

nice

DavidofColorado
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
If you put a crane in the bed. How are you going to hoist the bike in there? Are you planning a trap setup or something?

atrainthornton
Sat Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey All, all viable ideas, however, trust me when Cole says the truck has 37's on it (and they are far from rubbing up in the box), height is a major issue on this beast.....hence, I am sure the reason for the post on ideas, not normal situations that traditional ramps and milk crates will work with.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Mar 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I really don't want to store a trailer. (don't really have space for it).

One thing to think about is that the truck is tall enough that a motorcycle on a trailer would vanish behind it. No way I wold be able to see such a small trailer. My 37s would throw EVERY piece of dirt off the road at the bike.

I like the hoist idea simply because I want to add it anyway to lift heavy objects into the bed.

I don't see how a hoist with 1,000+ lbs of capacity would struggle at all with a 500lb bike. A simple strap under the front tripples-(bottom part) and rear frame would work fine. (not rear subframe).

Thinking of building our own hoist for the truck anyway that will be powered by a 12K winch. So it should really be a one many job.

I was just looking for ideas. Thanks.

DavidofColorado
Mon Mar 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Ok I can't find it just look at the video on my space 3rd down on the right. It won't help but it may give you an idea or 2.

KennyFish
Mon Mar 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
My dad has a dodge ram on 22"'s that I had to use to pick up my 636, what i did is backed up to the curb at the end of the driveway and used a motorcycle ramp for the rest it took 3 of us but was done.

ZiaThunder
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
i've used two curved ramps (had to otherwise the faring hits). i walked up one and powered the bike up the other using the clutch... yes, it is tricky, but for a really tall truck it works.

Devaclis
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
How about a liftgate on the back?

rforsythe
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
My driveway has a dip at the bottom and is pretty steep, so I just put the back tires in the dip and can easily load bikes in the back. Not that I'm offering my driveway for random bike loadings (unless you bring some ribeyes over, a few nice steaks will get you use of the driveway for sure), but if you can find something similar around you it may be just what you need. It works better than it seems like it would.

Getting it back out wherever you're going may be an issue, unless they have a truck dock you can back up to. :lol:

If you want something portable and not location specific, you are either looking at a monster ramp, or a small trailer. Trailering is the best option out of all of them, if you can afford one. Low height, protects the bike if enclosed, and good for carrying other crap.

Monster tires on trucks usually make them good off-road but bad for hauling anything big or heavy in the bed, because it's a bitch to get it in there. You aren't the first person to have that realization after jackin' it up.

InlineSIX24
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
http://images.dieselpowermag.com/features/chevy/0705dp_02_z+2002_chevy_silverado_2500hd+rear_view. jpg

+

http://hookerscrane.com/media/images/crane.jpg

solved.

Ricky
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You need hydraulics in the rear so you can drop the ass end then use a ramp to load... :lol:

Xtremjeepn
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Haha. It is a 1 ton 4x4.

I built a small ramp to put the motorcycle on the porch, then into the truck. Worked fine this morning to take the FZ600 over to TFOG.

tarded400
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Take out the lift and put stock wheels back on?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
lame.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Why the heck would you lift your pickup like that? And if you do, why would you complain about it not being usable? Sorry, but I almost get ran over many times per day by people in humongous pickups that can't even see me, and then they complain about gas prices... I get the look thing. Not my thing, but I understand.

lame.

Yes, making judgements before you know the whole story is lame.

I found the truck rotting away in the mountains. I "recycled" the truck to use as a dedicated trail clean up rig. To keep our trails open for future generations to enjoy and to prove that not all 4 wheelers are out tearing up the trails but actually taking care of them.

The truck was built to haul trash out of our trails, mainly where shooters and partiers haul stuff up and leave it. Then the 4 wheelers get blamed for it.

As I mentioned above the truck will be equiped with a hoist for heavy objects.

It was never intended to haul a motorcycle. I just might have to use it for that from time to time. That is why I asked. The ONLY thing this truck gets used for is cleaning up trails, serving the community and the occasional personal hualing task. Otherwise it just lives in my garage. NOT a lifted "bling only usless truck as some of you seem to think"

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Signs/Trail-Clean-up.jpg

Xtremjeepn
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 12:49 AM
FWIW here is the truck as it currently sits. We are working on the prep to paint it and get all the decals on it. It will read "This truck was recycled from scap by people and companies that care about keeping our trails clean for all generations...." It will be equiped with rakes, shovles and trashbags for clean up days, 4x4 events, etc etc etc.

Bed height is only 42" from the ground.

http://a620.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/96/l_7a226393a32e2c9ab05b72fdf7ba5b73.jpg

DavidofColorado
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 05:55 AM
That is awesome. I don't think the pictures do it justice though.

Your reason for building it is also a very noble.

Rednarb
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 09:16 AM
I love it! Both the truck and the purpose!

Speedwagon
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Kinda pricey in my opinion, but pretty cool:

http://www.xxramp.com/en/index.php

RyNo24
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
This is a little pricey too, but would be a cool thing to have.

http://www.powerdecks.com/index.htm

jbnwc
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM
My 2 cents -

If you only need to haul the bike 4-5 times a year, either rent a trailer or borrow one from a buddy. I don't have a truck or a place to keep a trailer, so for $10-15 a day I can rent a trailer from Home Depot or a myriad of other places. Plus, there are a couple hundred people on here with trailers who would loan or rent one to you. Either bolt or quick tie a piece a piece of plywood to front of the trailer to protect bikes from the dirt/rocks you kick up.