PDA

View Full Version : How to change the oil?

metalnicx
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Is there a how to for changing the oil & filter? So far I have the following...

1. Warm up the bike
2. Unscrew the bolt and let the oil drain out
3. Take off the oil filter
4. Put on new oil filter (Do I need to put any greece on this, and how tight do I put it on?)
5. Put bolt back on and fill up with oil

That's it right? I just called the dealer and they said it's $100 for an oil & filter change. WTF?

wulf
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
when installing the oil filer; dip your finger in the new oil, run it around the gasket to get it wet, screw it on snug with your hands.

careful not to overfill

what bike?

Desmo
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Sounds good to me, before you go taking your bike apart make sure you know if you bike requires any crush washers under the oil pulg or if the biks has any other filters or screen that should be cleaned out.
For example on my Duc’s I have a crush washer under my oil plug (cost about 25 cents). I also have one on the side of the engine, the plug on the side of the engine also has a screen that should be checked when you chance your oil..
Amy advice.. check your parts brake down.. hope I was of some help

Desmo
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
O yea, and don’t forget to PROPERLY dispose of your oil..

metalnicx
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Ok, thanks! It's a 2000 SV-650.

King Nothing
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:58 PM
takes about 5 min to change the oil on a sv650....

King Nothing
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:59 PM
BTW, mine has a crush washer.....

wulf
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
cake.

btw, i've got the manual on CD if you want a copy.

Desmo
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
This is the reason i like this club...

King Nothing
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:12 PM
This is the reason i like this club...:up: me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! People don't know it yet, but I;m gonna ask some of the smart people on this board to help me keep my POS truck running for another year. (I dont know how to work on a 4x4)

Desmo
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
This is the reason i like this club...:up: me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! People don't know it yet, but I;m gonna ask some of the smart people on this board to help me keep my POS truck running for another year. (I dont know how to work on a 4x4)

i dont know much about 4X4's my self .. but if you put a V-twin in it you will be happy :lol:

NZ Darren
Fri Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Is there a how to for changing the oil & filter? So far I have the following...

1. Warm up the bike
2. Unscrew the bolt and let the oil drain out
3. Take off the oil filter
4. Put on new oil filter (Do I need to put any greece on this, and how tight do I put it on?)
5. Put bolt back on and fill up with oil

That's it right? I just called the dealer and they said it's $100 for an oil & filter change. WTF?

Are you in the springs?
If so I can help you do it

It really is only a 5min job and once you have done it once, you won't have a problem. Remember not to screw the filter on too tight, or it will be a bitch to get off next time.
Also helps if you have a torque wrench so you get the drain bolt to the right ... ummmm 'tightness' for lack of a better word. I have seen people overtighten them and end up with a cracked oil pan when they try to get it off.

rybo
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 11:37 AM
If you're not in the springs and up in the Denver area I can give you a hand.

Scott

The GECCO
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM
another little tidbit - fill the new filter with oil before you install it. you may make a little mess if you have to tilt it to thread it on, but when you install a dry filter the motor runs w/o oil pressure for a while until the oil pump has filled the dry filter. filling it before installing cuts down on the "no oil pressure" time drastically.

G

panther
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM
another little tidbit - fill the new filter with oil before you install it. you may make a little mess if you have to tilt it to thread it on, but when you install a dry filter the motor runs w/o oil pressure for a while until the oil pump has filled the dry filter. filling it before installing cuts down on the "no oil pressure" time drastically.

G

i did not know that, that is a good tidbit, thanks ;)

BigE
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 09:13 AM

G

I was going to throw that out too! Also some bikes nowadays are designed to drain all the oil while on the sidestand instead of being vertical on a stand, check your owners manual!

dgoldan
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Service manual or owner's manual? I could use a copy of a service manual for an '01 SV650S.

Anonymous
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM

G

Bart also showed me a trick when we put the oil in the GSXR. Basically, kinda like in the cooling system, air can prevent the fluid from flowing properly. I wasn't developing oil pressure (on a new motor, this is bad since you only have assembly lube in there to keep things from grinding) so we unscrewed the oil filter just until the gasket stopped pressing on the block. Started the motor, and waited for the oil to start coming out, then screwed it back on real fast. Bingo, got oil pressure and a filled filter. Didn't make too bad of a mess either...

wulf
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Service manual or owner's manual? I could use a copy of a service manual for an '01 SV650S.

service, owners, parts fiche, maintenance schedule, torque specs.

Gecco, good tip!

The GECCO
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 09:56 PM

G

Bart also showed me a trick when we put the oil in the GSXR. Basically, kinda like in the cooling system, air can prevent the fluid from flowing properly. I wasn't developing oil pressure (on a new motor, this is bad since you only have assembly lube in there to keep things from grinding) so we unscrewed the oil filter just until the gasket stopped pressing on the block. Started the motor, and waited for the oil to start coming out, then screwed it back on real fast. Bingo, got oil pressure and a filled filter. Didn't make too bad of a mess either...

<Beavis voice> Hmmmm.....I'll be damned! </Beavis voice>

another good one