PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure light

Chad4000
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, I tried to search but didnt come up with anything that really fit my situation.

2001 cbr 929 14K miles. no performance stuff besides pipe and brake lines.

This is the issue that I am having: only when on the highway at speed when I am around 5k to 6k rpm my red oil pressure light comes on. When this happens I turn the bike off and turn it back on and no problem. Then a few miles down the road comes on again. I have had to ride at 55 mph in a 75 to make the light not come on.

this happened once in Hawaii (thats where the bike is from) and i took it to the dealer (http://www.cbrforum.com/m_517964/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#). I had them change oil and look into it. it never came on again until I moved to CO. I have changed the oil a few times since I got the bike back to Denver.

I thought maybe it needed to be re-calibrated for the higher altitude but a buddy of mine who works at a dealer said that fuel injected bikes dont need to do that.

I am worried that its an oil pump (cause thats one of the issues the manual said it could be). but it might just be a sensor that needs to be reset.

anybody have this happen to them? know anything about it?

The GECCO
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not that familiar with the Hondas, but are you sure that it's actually an oil pressure light and not an oil level light? My R1 has an oil level light.

With the weather being cold, the oil in the motor may be returning to the pan slower than usual and the level of oil in the pan can get low enough to trigger the sensor. If your oil is a bit low in the first place this is more likely to happen. At steady highway speeds the motor isn't working very hard and is losing heat rapidly so both water and oil temps will drop.

Check your owners manual to see if it's a pressure or level light first.

rybo
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I thought maybe it needed to be re-calibrated for the higher altitude but a buddy of mine who works at a dealer said that fuel injected bikes dont need to do that.

I am worried that its an oil pump (cause thats one of the issues the manual said it could be). but it might just be a sensor that needs to be reset.

Additionally fuel injection has little or nothing to do with oil pressure and oil pressure has little or nothing to do with altitude.

Have you checked the oil level since this happened? Is the bike doing anything else? (excessive valve noise etc) Does it happen when the engine is cold or hot or both? When was the last time the oil was changed?

McVaaahhh
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
All my hondas and other bikes have Level, not pressure, warnings.

Sounds like you're about 1/2 quart low. I had a similar problem on my old YZF-750R. The oil light would come on at just weird times when I was riding. Double check your oil level on the bike by following your owners manual and then double check the capacities listed.

Have you looked around on the CBR forums for anybody with a similar problem? www.cbrforum.com (http://www.cbrforum.com)

If not, I'd have to say bad sensor, but then you'd think it'd be on all the time regardless of the "speed" of the motor.

Or, take it to Jim at TFOG and he can probably sort it all out for you.

Good Luck.

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
If it is indeed a pressure light, you may have something restricting the oil pickup screen (like a bunch of silicone sealer in the oil pan).

After a little research, Honda does call it an oil pressure switch. It's possible the switch is failing as well. Or you are experiencing oil pooling in the head due to a blocked return path. The part number on the switch is 37240-P13-013. Other possible causes might be a clogged oil filter, bad oil pump, or excessive bearing clearance, but these would usually show up at idle as soon as the oil warmed up, not at highway speeds.

Chad4000
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
All my hondas and other bikes have Level, not pressure, warnings.

Sounds like you're about 1/2 quart low. I had a similar problem on my old YZF-750R. The oil light would come on at just weird times when I was riding. Double check your oil level on the bike by following your owners manual and then double check the capacities listed.

Have you looked around on the CBR forums for anybody with a similar problem? www.cbrforum.com (http://www.cbrforum.com)

If not, I'd have to say bad sensor, but then you'd think it'd be on all the time regardless of the "speed" of the motor.

Or, take it to Jim at TFOG and he can probably sort it all out for you.

Good Luck.

thanks man. I know that the FI system doesnt have anything to do with the oil system. I was thinking more along the lines of the sensors being changed.

also, the light very well could be level but i have checked my level a number of times. I also have changed the oil twice since i got the bike back to CO.

one other thing to consider, I have two of these bikes. both '01 and the oil level is the same. I change them both with the same process etc. Maybe the yellow bike just needs a little more oil. hmm. I will try adding a 1/2 quart tonight and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

btw, I am a member at cbrforum. they just dont respond like you guys do.

rybo
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
thanks man. I know that the FI system doesnt have anything to do with the oil system. I was thinking more along the lines of the sensors being changed.

also, the light very well could be level but i have checked my level a number of times. I also have changed the oil twice since i got the bike back to CO.

one other thing to consider, I have two of these bikes. both '01 and the oil level is the same. I change them both with the same process etc. Maybe the yellow bike just needs a little more oil. hmm. I will try adding a 1/2 quart tonight and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

btw, I am a member at cbrforum. they just dont respond like you guys do.

If you've checked the oil level and it's good then DON'T add more oil, too much oil is often worse than too little in your engine.

I'm starting to think faulty sensor, but TFOG has a lot of good suggestions. My next step would be to change the oil, put a new filter on and see if that's the problem. If that didn't solve it then I'd be removing the pan and seeing if something was blocking the pickup screen.

Best of luck

s

Chad4000
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
that was my first thought about adding oil. especially with the other bike having the same level. but I put it right in the middle of the oil level window, maybe i could try puting it to the top of the window.

i guess dropping the pan wouldnt be that difficult?

Chad4000
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
If it is indeed a pressure light, you may have something restricting the oil pickup screen (like a bunch of silicone sealer in the oil pan).

After a little research, Honda does call it an oil pressure switch. It's possible the switch is failing as well. Or you are experiencing oil pooling in the head due to a blocked return path. The part number on the switch is 37240-P13-013. Other possible causes might be a clogged oil filter, bad oil pump, or excessive bearing clearance, but these would usually show up at idle as soon as the oil warmed up, not at highway speeds.

thanks for doing some research. I suppose that if none of this works I could have you look at it then?

rybo
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
thanks for doing some research. I suppose that if none of this works I could have you look at it then?

Jim and TFOG are first rate. They've done right by many members of the club and come as highly recommended.

Scott

TFOGGuys
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Dropping the pan is not difficult, although the exhaust may have to come off to do so. I'm with Rybo, though. I think the sender deserves a look. One question: When the light comes on, is there any change in the sound of the engine?

McVaaahhh
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
If you've checked the oil level and it's good then DON'T add more oil, too much oil is often worse than too little in your engine.

I'm starting to think faulty sensor, but TFOG has a lot of good suggestions. My next step would be to change the oil, put a new filter on and see if that's the problem. If that didn't solve it then I'd be removing the pan and seeing if something was blocking the pickup screen.

Best of luck

s

:imwithstupid:

I was just making sure you checked that you were not a bit low. That was the problem on my YZF, but yeah, you definitely don't want to just add more oil. You'll just end up with more lights coming on. :D

Chad4000
Tue Mar 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
:imwithstupid:

I was just making sure you checked that you were not a bit low. That was the problem on my YZF, but yeah, you definitely don't want to just add more oil. You'll just end up with more lights coming on. :D

hehe, thanks man. We over the next two days is my time to make the thing perfect. I will let you know what happens.

Chad4000
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Dropping the pan is not difficult, although the exhaust may have to come off to do so. I'm with Rybo, though. I think the sender deserves a look. One question: When the light comes on, is there any change in the sound of the engine?

well not to much of an update, my days off were a little more busy then I thought they would be. I will be dropping the pan tonight or tomorrow night.

so, (this is going to sounds very noobie) dropping the pan is just like it sounds right? is there anything wierd I may have to watch for? I do have a shit*y manual that i can use for help. Will they need to be torqued when going back on?

obviously new gasket, you think fay meyer would stock that?

thanks for the help guys

edit: i have not noticed a change in sound when the light comes on, but honestly I usually turn the bike off right away. (get to the side of the road or sometimes just coast it for awhile and turn it back on)

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Many times you don't even need to replace the gasket, but it's best to have one on hand. Make sure that as you pull the pan off you note anything that might be falling out, and note any of the bolts that might have sealing washers on them, and make sure they go back in the same place.