PDA

View Full Version : Road condition around Estes?

noskills
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've never been up this time of year to Estes. What could I expect the roads to be like going up Peak to Peak through Estes and then down the back side through Rocky Mountain National park into Winter Park? Weather forecast for Estes on Friday is 35 degrees at 12 with a slight chance of rain. Doable with warm gear or will the roads be coated with ICE?

lozanoax
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeap. Could still be cold as hell this early in spring.

ChrisCBX
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've never been up this time of year to Estes. What could I expect the roads to be like going up Peak to Peak through Estes and then down the back side through Rocky Mountain National park into Winter Park? Weather forecast for Estes on Friday is 35 degrees at 12 with a slight chance of rain. Doable with warm gear or will the roads be coated with ICE?

Estes through Rocky Mountain National Park to Winter Park would take you over Trail Ridge Road. Trail Ridge is closed until spring. Thats one of our favorite rides in the summer.

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Toby, ya can't get past RMNP, cuz Trail Ridge Road is closed until Memorial Day weekend. If you wanted to try and get over to the other side of the divide, you'd have to go up Poudre Canyon over Cameron Pass and down to Walden. It's gonna be very chilly, though.

I took a peek at the forecast for Estes on Saturday and the highs are supposed to be in the lower 50's. I'm thinking about riding on Saturday if ya wanna PM me, or call if ya still got my number. I was thinking of asking a few others...not sure though...kinda waiting to see if the weather sticks for Saturday.

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Oh and yeah...hwy7 up to Estes is free and clear until you get to St. Catherine's (that old church about 5 miles out of Estes) and then you get gravel in the middle and along the edges. I haven't been up P2P yet.

noskills
Wed Mar 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks all
CLOSED Damn :scream1: I kinda figured but looking at National Park info didn't see closure warnings. I guess my first time through the park wont be on Friday.

Hey Cathy,
I'm good with Cold I just wanted to avoid massive patches of ice. If there are passes that are void of ice that's where I'm headed. I'm not sure about Poudre Canyon though. I will be with a newb and the miles might be a bit much. I wish I could do a saturday run but my only day off will be on Friday. Looking forward to riding with you again soon!

Nick_Ninja
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I was thinking about this post yesterday while navigating various parts of the P2P and four other canyons. Rider beware is about all that needs to be said. However there are so many other conditional aspects that could be offered up to your question.

When riding in the mountains, it is very important to read the weather report prior to take-off.
Watch the weather when on the road. Understand which direction the weather is going to come from during the day (up slope or down slope)
Understand the difference between sand and mag chloride and the traction differences.
Realize that north facing slopes retain the snow, ice, sand, and lower temperatures. This is extremely important when cranking through corners that reside in these areas. The road surface temperature is lower in these areas and the road crews tend to have to dump lots-o deicing and traction control product in these areas.
When riding in sand laden section of highway most of the time if you take the outside line on curves the line will be cleaner and more forgiving as this is the weighted side of the cages and truck as they negotiate the curve. This added weight assists in the removal of sand and debris basically cleaning the road.Riding season is here. Have FUN --- BE CAREFUL --- and THINK!

wankel7
Wed Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
When riding in sand laden section of highway most of the time if you take the outside line on curves the line will be cleaner and more forgiving as this is the weighted side of the cages and truck as they negotiate the curve. This added weight assists in the removal of sand and debris basically cleaning the road.

Good point thanks!

jsears1864
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I went up 36 today with my girl. we stopped in lyons and i said it might suck to go up all the way. IT DID. But the road was fine. only a couple of gravel spots and not much else bad. I promised her to do something nice but i was the only bike i saw until we came down around 3pm. There was MAD snow and it was 45-50 degrees up there when we got there at 2pm.
It sucked for me. She had the benifit of an undertail exhaust.
I knew that was a summer trip but busted it out anyways for the hell of it. Once we got half way up there it sucked but you get that point of no return mentality.
Hell, sometimes its that cold in nederland in July in the late afternoon.

My advice.....
dont do it. it was retarded.
wait until summer time.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I went up 36 today with my girl. we stopped in lyons and i said it might suck to go up all the way. IT DID. But the road was fine. only a couple of gravel spots and not much else bad. I promised her to do something nice but i was the only bike i saw until we came down around 3pm. There was MAD snow and it was 45-50 degrees up there when we got there at 2pm.
It sucked for me. She had the benifit of an undertail exhaust.
I knew that was a summer trip but busted it out anyways for the hell of it. Once we got half way up there it sucked but you get that point of no return mentality.
Hell, sometimes its that cold in nederland in July in the late afternoon.

My advice.....
dont do it. it was retarded.
wait until summer time.

One less vehicle to pass on my way there.......................... :roll:

Summer is a long way off buddy.

mtnairlover
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
If you've been in Colorado for a while and have driven, hiked, biked, etc in the mountains, then you can get pretty darn close to gaging the conditions.

When I went up hwy7 last weekend, Sean and I stopped at the hwy72 junction and turned around. The wind up there was getting fiercer and I knew that right around the Mt Meeker area, the clouds would be blowing and snow would be squalling. That's the way the mountains are. On my way home after coming back down hwy7, I decided to go up hwy36 to Estes and down hwy34. The weather was fine until I got to the crest where the road begins to drop down into Estes. Over Estes were thick clouds that had come down from all around the mountains and blowing snow. But, only over Estes. I could tell that once I got around the Eastern edge of Estes to hwy34, I'd be fine again...so, that's the route I took and I did not hit very wet pavement.

Anyhoo, I guess the point is...know what you are dealing with and don't take chances if you don't feel comfortable.

chad23
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
cathy you riding today

mtnairlover
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I'm pondering it. Not sure...and if I do, it'll be maybe around noon'ish. Gotta feed the late risers in my house first.

mtnairlover
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Welp, as of today, here's what it looks like...

Estes Visitor's Center
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/estes.jpg

And I went up hwy7 today even though the clouds were being blown down from Mt. Meeker and Longs Peak. I figured I'd turn around if there was snow blowing along with those clouds...but, there wasn't...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/meekerandlongspeak.jpg

Like I keep saying, the 5 miles between Estes and that historical landmark, St. Catherine's church has gravel along the middle line and along the edges, and a few places with it in the middle of the road, but nothing that freaks ya out as long as you take it easy along that stretch. It was a whole lot chillier up there, though. It felt like a desert down here in comparison. I'd say maybe around 30 degrees in the open spots along the peaks. But, still well worth the trip...mhmm.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/longspeak.jpg

The sun sure came in handy today. Oh and if I passed anyone along the way...howdy!:)

chad23
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
We opted out of hwy7, just didn't look good. But hwy34 and hwy36 were B E A U tiful. Sorry we kept missing you Cathy. I tried to get moving earlier but couldn't. It was funny seeing you twice at hwy34 and Taft :) . We'll have to try it again.

mtnairlover
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
How do ya like that timing? Couldn't have been more choreographed than that. Bet we'll never do that again either...just freaky, huh?

Yep, I liked my ride too, especially the downhill of hwy7. Sad thing today, though, was getting stuck behind a dual sport on some of the upper curves that I like. I'm just not one for blasting past people, but he did let me by when we both had an opening.

Anyhoo, if the weather does what the long range says it will, then look for a post in the Northern forum for a ride next Sunday...keeping fingers crossed and nothing else being scheduled between now and then...:)

chad23
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 08:33 PM
oh we had no problem passing people. Traffic was a little heavy going up 34. But 36, people moved out of the way and we had the whole road to our selfs. It was great

honda919
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
No problems?? You were the one cutting cars and flipping them off passing them hahaha.. j/k There was some traffic but we got smart and passed in the corners!

oh we had no problem passing people. Traffic was a little heavy going up 34. But 36, people moved out of the way and we had the whole road to our selfs. It was great

chad23
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
how would you know you dont have mirrors and I was following you. I had fun today honda maybe we'll head your way and ride......NOT. Let me know when you and your fam. are going north, and let me know what you think about utah

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
No mirrors -- passing in the corners ------- what tools :roll:

jsears1864
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 05:12 AM
One less vehicle to pass on my way there.......................... :roll:

Summer is a long way off buddy.

really??? cause its already the second week in april and it gets pretty summer like around here in may.

and you can also pass me all you want. cause then i get to pass you and the sheriff that pulled you over. i don't need anymore shit on my driving record. I'll let your hubris deal with the fives................

honda919
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
[quote=chad23;let me know what you think about utah[/quote]

i talked to the women last night about utah and she said yes!! wow that easier than i thougth haha.. So its a go for me just need to get some mula

rideco
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
So I road down hwy 7 to Lyons from 72 (peak to peak) yesterday and it was awesome. I dont know about the area west and towards Estes on hwy 7 but I doubt it is that bad. Thinking of doing a real slow run up left hand to ward -> peak to peak -> 7-> lyons and back today. If that is what I do I will post up conditions for left hand later.
rideco

chad23
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
No mirrors -- passing in the corners ------- what tools :roll:

Takes one to know one TOOL
There jokes.
jok·ing.
–noun 1.something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him. 2.something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke. 3.a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke. 4.something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class. 5.practical joke. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=practical joke) –verb (used without object) 6.to speak or act in a playful or merry way: He was always joking with us. 7.to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious: He didn't really mean it, he was only joking. –verb (used with object) 8.to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease. 9.to obtain by joking: The comedian joked coins from the audience.
[Origin: 1660–70; < L jocus jesthttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]

—Related forms jokeless, adjective
jok·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. wisecrack, gag, jape, prank, quip, quirk, sally, raillery. Joke, jest refer to something said (or done) in sport, or to cause amusement. A joke is something said or done for the sake of exciting laughter; it may be raillery, a witty remark, or a prank or trick: to tell a joke. Jest, today a more formal word, nearly always refers to joking language and is more suggestive of scoffing or ridicule than is joke: to speak in jest.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Ghost
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think I'm going to go take a run at it, finally got done with all the Misc BS I had to get out of the way this morning...it's OK in the sun down here so I'll assume it's 30+/- in the hills. ;)

rideco
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
So left hand was not that bad. As you got up towards Ward it got a little worse but overall very good. I saw a cruiser of some kind wrecked on 36 right before left hand canyon and dude did not look good. I saw he at least had a helmet and gear on so I hope the guy was alright. Fire dept. and cops were already there so I did not stop to see what happened.
rideco

Just_Me
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
That isn't very nice.

honda919
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
That isn't very nice.

??? what are you talking about ???

Just_Me
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Sorry my bad...I posted to the wrong thread...I'm a newbie...sorry.

chad23
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
hope he's OK. Nice to hear he wears gear. That's rare. well not reallyif he was on a cruiser than he probably wears a lid. If he rides a Harley, then probably not. Sad but true. Either way I hope he's ok

arcatacat
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I can't wait to take a ride up to Estes. I lived up there a couple years before moving down to Denver... it's definitely my home in CO.

And the Wheel Bar, FTW!