PDA

View Full Version : Aracheon Update

t_jolt
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Chris is well, we made it back down the moutain ok. His heading back to his place as we speak. The pictures i got were shitty. So ill let chris post his up.
Also Chris slide on his ass in leathers, They stood up, had a little road rash on a couple fingers were his gloves didnt hold up. He's ok, besides that, Chris its all you. Glad you made it out ok.

This happened about 300 yards outside canyon city, on canyon city parkway.

Tyrel

t_jolt
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo32/d3/72/3620de93b2ca.jpg

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo35/89/02/3cac3db4fcb8.jpg
Some pics

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Nasty.

fullgrownbear
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Whoa. Where did this happen, and what happened? Is he alright?

gravyzx9
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'm going to guess that was the accident I saw on my way to work right? Well, saw you guys talking to the cops on the parkway and the B.H. cop is a pretty cool guy. I was giving him grief for harassing you guys and he told me what happened. Lots of bikes have lost it right there on the parkway so glad to hear the guy is ok. Too bad about the bike but that's not the important thing. Be safe

gravyzx9
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Btw you mean Central City right?

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Some pics

Just comparing the two frame sliders makes me scared :shocked:.

And the right counter weight is totally whack-yo. :crazy:

If this happened on the Central City Raceway, as the context of this thread indicates, this guy needs to compare notes with the towneh.

Sean
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Damn Chris! That really sucks, the bike was looking great. Hope your okay. Drop a line if there's anything I can do.

fullgrownbear
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Dude..

This really sucks.. Just a couple of days ago you guys had that st. patty's day arade and you looked like the coolest thing since sliced bread. I am soo sorry for your loss.

Your next bike will be even better. You should do a Darth Vader theme this time. Back and in Black ;)

Anything I can do to help let me know!

ZX Rider
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Damn man !
That's wrong way to start riding season.
I hope you are OK.

McVaaahhh
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Chris, glad you're alright man! What happened?

P.S. If you need another F4i, I know of a great deal on one. :D

Aracheon
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I want to extend a BIG thanks to everyone in the group for lending a hand and in helping the way they did - especially to Tyrel for staying around until his friend arrived to help tow the bike back down.

I entered a sharp right-hander at a speed that felt very comfortable to me, and something outside of my control caused the back tire to slide out and I went down. According to the officer, I slid approximately 265 feet from the point where my tire started to slide to where the bike came to rest in a massive pile of sharp rocks. I'm so very thankful that I wear gear every day, because I would probably be lying in a hospital bed right now with massive road rash if I hadn't. My leathers and my gloves saved my ass. I got up and walked away with minor cuts on 2 of my fingers. All things considered under the circumstances, I think I was very lucky to have not been hurt.

Updated pics to come tomorrow when I actually feel up to looking at the bike. I feel a little sick to my stomach. :(

Aracheon
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Chris, glad you're alright man! What happened?

P.S. If you need another F4i, I know of a great deal on one. :D

Actually man, I was going to see if you had a spare set of forks, working or not. I just had mine rebuilt over the winter, and I'd hate to see them go to a junkyard.

Devaclis
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hope you are OK Chris. The latent injuries are the ones that suck. If you need anything let me know.

Aracheon
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hope you are OK Chris. The latent injuries are the ones that suck. If you need anything let me know.

Thanks D. :)

McVaaahhh
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Actually man, I was going to see if you had a spare set of forks, working or not. I just had mine rebuilt over the winter, and I'd hate to see them go to a junkyard.

No spares, just what's on the bike.

If you need any help, lemme know.

Xtremjeepn
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Chris,

Sorry we left you there to wait. I'm usually very big on sticking the whole adventure out. Just had plans where many other people were counting on me tonight and you were in good hands.

Glad you are okay.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

Cole

Ricky
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Aw man, I'm sorry to hear about this... Glad to hear that you're OK Chris!

Xtremjeepn
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Think the CBR would make a great street fighter now!!!!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/jasonrodman/DSC_0002.jpg

swademaster
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the bike, it was looking good. At least you are ok, that is the important thing.

dirkterrell
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Updated pics to come tomorrow when I actually feel up to looking at the bike. I feel a little sick to my stomach. :(

Oh man, that really, really sucks! But very relieved to hear that you're ok.

Dirk

lovinCO
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Terrible! Very sorry to see/hear about this, I hope you're ok. :(

CBRSue
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM
All things considered under the circumstances, I think I was very lucky to have not been hurt.

The thread title scared the crap out of me, and the pictures freaked me out... so good to hear you are OK!

GixerSix
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Glad you came out OK, I saw a bunch of cop/fire truck/ambulance near a the OLD way to get to central city and thought this might of been you: http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=88994 According to story someone actually rolled down a huge hill in the mountains...and then CAUGHT FIRE.

Matty
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM

hey atleast we got to drink the night away. good seeing ya out tonite.

Hahahaha... i got a couple of funny ass pictures of Leah passed out on the kitchen floor.

daemon
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 07:00 AM
bummer chris!!!

glad you made it out nearly unscathed.

let me know if i may help in any way!!!

Aracheon
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the support, everyone. This is the kind of thing that truly makes us a family - everyone sticking together to help someone out.

At the moment, for those of you who have wrecked a bike or anyone who has had to deal with an insurance company in this kind of situation, I could use some insight as to what I can expect.

Aracheon
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2245.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2246.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2248.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2249.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2254.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2255.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2256.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2258.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/aracheon/2001%20F4i/08-0329%20-%20Wreck/IMG_2260.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Even more nasty. You are one lucky mo-fo.

daemon
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
yikes!!!

Devaclis
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The most important part of the bike is ok tho :)

You gonna rebuild or replace?

Aracheon
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Indeed. :shocked:

yikes!!!

:cry:

The most important part of the bike is ok tho :)

You gonna rebuild or replace?

Oh, replace. Absolutely. It's time for something a little bigger. I feel cramped on the F4i.

The bike still starts up and runs and doesn't make any abnormal noise... except for the lack of an exhaust pipe. If the buyback from the insurance company will make it worthwhile, I'll part the bike out. But I thought I saw some spiderweb cracks on the frame welds on the right side, so it's not even worth rebuilding.

CBRSue
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM

With looking at these pictures of your bike, I find it hard to believe you walked away without getting really hurt. Goes without saying that you are thankful to be OK physically, which is most important!!! I hope the emotional stuff that comes with dealing with your bike passes quickly, I hope the sick to your stomach feeling you mentioned :( goes away soon.

lovinCO
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Oh, replace. Absolutely. It's time for something a little bigger. I feel cramped on the F4i.

Great time of year to find a bike, too. Silver lining. Glad you're ok.

t_jolt
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Glad to see you added the tank sticker to the wall :)

Also send me your number, well get together sometime to talk wrenching again :)

Tyrel

Mel
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
O.o Glad you are ok...
xoxo
~Mel

bandido
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm glad you are ok, that is some scary stuff.

Need anything let me know.

McVaaahhh
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Obviously it's totalled.

Biggest tip I can give you, especially if you're buying it back: You can and should negotiate the price with them. You might find yourself surprised. :D

dchd1130
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Damn Chris, that sucks. Im glad your ok though. Crappy way to start the season though.

guessinthe2000
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
yo chris... holly sh*t. glad you are ok. you know I went down on my rr. so if you need to know anything about insurance just pm me what you need to know. Ever since I went down I don't do canyons anymore... since you never know whats out on the road up there.... anyways LMK

King Nothing
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM
lets make a go-cart with the engine!

Slo
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Chris, glad you were able to walk away, I was nervous when I couldn't get a hold of you.....

Wearing the right gear and a lot of luck made all the difference for you. Obviously everyone is here to help you out in any way we can, just let us know.

Mae
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I want to extend a BIG thanks to everyone in the group for lending a hand and in helping the way they did - especially to Tyrel for staying around until his friend arrived to help tow the bike back down.

I entered a sharp right-hander at a speed that felt very comfortable to me, and something outside of my control caused the back tire to slide out and I went down. According to the officer, I slid approximately 265 feet from the point where my tire started to slide to where the bike came to rest in a massive pile of sharp rocks. I'm so very thankful that I wear gear every day, because I would probably be lying in a hospital bed right now with massive road rash if I hadn't. My leathers and my gloves saved my ass. I got up and walked away with minor cuts on 2 of my fingers. All things considered under the circumstances, I think I was very lucky to have not been hurt.

Hey brat!

Glad you're ok!
And here you weren't wanting to go to IMI in fear that you might mess up the new paint job!
Joking hun ;) you know I am haha.
Glad you are ok and ^5 on the gear!
Considering how bad it COULD have been looking at the bike, I am SOOO glad you are ok and wore your gear!

You rawk ;)

64BonnieLass
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Thank god for the quality gear you were wearing. And thank god for the little angel that rode next to you.

It was wonderful to see you today. :)

mtnairlover
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm still in awe of your gear, too...oh, and you of course;-) That you are walking, not limping; talking, not slurring speech...and didn't take a header into those rocks like your bike did...just amazing.

As far as insurance goes...it's good you got some. For me, with my insurance, like I said, they did not raise rates on me. I think they wanted to know about whether I was ticketed, or not, but I told them the officer took the ticket back. Um, and so if there's no ticket, then your insurance will cover fully. As far as how much is concerned...what my insurance appraiser did was call around the area to try and find comparable bikes and that wasn't easy since it's not that popular, then he took a percentage off of that amount and what I owed was paid off. You know the rest of the story. So, as far as who you will speak with at your insurance company, you'll get the adjuster and the appraiser for sure. And yep, it's gonna take a while...bet on 6 to 10 weeks.

Oh, and it was really nice to see ya today up at MotoHaus:-)

tl1000riders
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hey Chris,
Glad you're ok man. You walked away unhurt. That's awesome to hear.I will be looking into leathers for sure. I can't believe that's your bike were looking at.(hell they build them everyday right??) I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle before long. :)

onelocked
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Dam Chris,
You sure do things in a big way:) So glad you were able to walk away, thank god!!! Hope you can get back in the saddle soon, again glad your ok.

Jeff

DevilsTonic
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Damn Chris that looks worse today. Hope you're not too sore from the fall, and I'm really glad you made it out of there in one piece.

hey atleast we got to drink the night away. good seeing ya out tonite.

Hahahaha... i got a couple of funny ass pictures of Leah passed out on the kitchen floor.Matty you sir are in big trouble mister. :) I took my shoes off so you wouldn't mess with me.

You broke the rules and now you must PAY! :alien: :drink:

FZRguy
Sun Mar 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Glad to hear you’re okay. Did this happen on the steep off-cambers close to town?

MAZIN
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Chris, Man..............Glad your ok and if you need anything let me know, Sry about the F4i.

konichd
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Sad to hear Chris, wearing your gear definately paid off. Now you get a new project :)

TheStig
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Man glad you are ok!!! This makes me think twice about always just wearing jeans thats for sure.

Its time for an 08 cbr1000rr!

Spy007
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Should totally paint this as a sort of reverse motogp style.....

Jason ON
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Awww man! I just got on CSC and saw this. I'm constantly amazed at the people who can walk away when wearing gear and it just re-enforces the need to always wear gear. Sorry about the bike and I hope recovery is quick!

Suki
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 10:24 AM
wow, well like everyone has already said, glad you're ok and able to walk away with only a few scratches. :)

Matty
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM
just so everyone is clear this happened along Central City Parkway. There was literally 3 more turns before it turned into one lane heading towards town from the 70.

Sortarican
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Just happy that with a right turn laydown you didn't slide into the other lane and end up under some
blue hair bingo queen's 1978 Oldsmabuick Land Yacht.

Sorry for your loss Chris, that bike was a sweet little storm trooper.
But you should have known from the Star Wars movies that storm troopers have the life expectancy of a
drunk girl's viginity on prom night.
(Shit, I hope I didn't just jinx Shortcake.)

Hope you get a good payoff and find something new as quickly as possible.
Anything I can do to help, just ask.

towneh
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM
accidents of any sort suck. i am very glad that you walked from it. good gear is worth it. my bod suffered more while your bike suffered more.
--jerzey barriers don't move--
bus_henry:music:

suzinpink
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM
bluch... man.... that totally sucks. I know what it's like to see her wrecked up like that... rips your heart out! Just think though... she went out like all bike wanna go... without hurting their riders!

wankel7
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ouch man that is great you did not get hurt!

Did you get a ticket?

I want to see pictures of you gear if you can! Curious how it held up to all that sliding.

Aracheon
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Glad to hear you’re okay. Did this happen on the steep off-cambers close to town?

Yeppers.

Sad to hear Chris, wearing your gear definately paid off. Now you get a new project :)

The F4i was a 5 month repair-and-restore project. I just want to RIDE. I'm tired of wrenching on them for awhile. ;)

Man glad you are ok!!! This makes me think twice about always just wearing jeans thats for sure.

Its time for an 08 cbr1000rr!

Believe me, if insurance allowed me to ride a litrebike, I'd be back on one in the snap of a finger.

Just happy that with a right turn laydown you didn't slide into the other lane and end up under some
blue hair bingo queen's 1978 Oldsmabuick Land Yacht.

Sorry for your loss Chris, that bike was a sweet little storm trooper.
But you should have known from the Star Wars movies that storm troopers have the life expectancy of a
drunk girl's viginity on prom night.
(Shit, I hope I didn't just jinx Shortcake.)

Hope you get a good payoff and find something new as quickly as possible.
Anything I can do to help, just ask.

Thank god for that, too. I slid across all 4 lanes... so it very well could have happened if there was oncoming traffic.

And you're right - I shoulda thought twice about the Stormtrooper concept. (STFU, DK. I dun wanna hear it. :D)

accidents of any sort suck. i am very glad that you walked from it. good gear is worth it. my bod suffered more while your bike suffered more.
--jerzey barriers don't move--
bus_henry:music:

Thanks man. :)

Ouch man that is great you did not get hurt!

Did you get a ticket?

I want to see pictures of you gear if you can! Curious how it held up to all that sliding.

Yeah, 3pt "Unsafe Mountain Driving" ticket that constitutes a mandatory court appearance. At 5 in the F'ing afternoon, too. That day is going to suck my ass.

The pictures of the gear I got before the insurance adjuster made off with them were taken on my cell phone. They're not all that great, but I'll get 'em posted.

FWIW - Alpinestars SP1 gloves and Teknic Chicane Leathers ROCK! :D

Giianee
Mon Mar 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Good to hear your okay Chris. Someone was looking out for ya that day.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, 3pt "Unsafe Mountain Driving" ticket that constitutes a mandatory court appearance. At 5 in the F'ing afternoon, too. That day is going to suck my ass.

Thats wierd. Did you get written into a municipality then? Because the state charge for that is a 3 point ticket and 46 dollar fine. However, it reduces to 1 point if you mail it in within 20 days.

Must have been central city pd then.

Aracheon
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Thats wierd. Did you get written into a municipality then? Because the state charge for that is a 3 point ticket and 46 dollar fine. However, it reduces to 1 point if you mail it in within 20 days.

Must have been central city pd then.

Central City PD, yeah. :(

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Question, if there was no officer there to say that you were driving in an unsafe manner, could it not be argued that it was an accident completely beyond control? I understand that you are responsible for your vehicle at all times but seeing as it harmed nothing save a pile of rocks and itself, how likely is the charge to stick? I mean unless you were like "yeah officer, I knew I shoulda taken that turn at 115 instead of 120, but the numbers are so hard to read when you're sitting on the tank, drag'n a knuckle."

Aracheon
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Question, if there was no officer there to say that you were driving in an unsafe manner, could it not be argued that it was an accident completely beyond control? I understand that you are responsible for your vehicle at all times but seeing as it harmed nothing save a pile of rocks and itself, how likely is the charge to stick? I mean unless you were like "yeah officer, I knew I shoulda taken that turn at 115 instead of 120, but the numbers are so hard to read when you're sitting on the tank, drag'n a knuckle."

Excellent question, and excellent point.

Enter: the court system, where I'll get a chance to make that exact argument and hope that the judge understands and agrees. Of course, I'm going in armed with my small collection of safety certifications, pictures of all the gear I was wearing at the time, and I'll also be taking that day off work to go up early and take pictures and measurements of the crash site to demonstrate what happened. I really wish that the guy on the cruiser who witnessed the accident had left me his contact information, though. :(

konichd
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
You are screwed. Simply by sliding 200+ feet a judge is going to concur you speed was far beyond the posted speed limit. Hopefully you'll get some mercy from your certs, proper gear, etc. I'm afraid all that isn't going to matter when the officer presents his side.

Shortcake got her ticket reduced because and officer witnessed it and could attest speed wasn't a factor, nor was State property damaged (the guardrail).

Matty
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
the problem is... he fell and crashed, and that constitues riding in an unsafe manner. regardless of his speed since he crashed they will unfortunately say that he was riding too fast for the conditions.

And when i was talking to the Police Officer he mentioned that they tend to have a good amount of crashes and speeding violations along the road, which won't work in Chris's favor either.

Xtremjeepn
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM
... Simply by sliding 200+ feet a judge is going to concur you speed was far beyond the posted speed limit.

According to this skid speed calculator http://www.harristechnical.com/skid33.htm

You were going "at least" 74mph at the onset of the skid. (265 foot skid at a downhill -6 degree slope)

Keep in mind that these calculators are based on average friction of tires, pavement etc. It is also calcualating that the skid came to a rest by itself and not impacting the rocks like your bike did.

Even when putting in a pretty hefty downhill angle it slid pretty far.

Obviously there are lots of other factors. But all they are going to see is a miniumum of 74mph (ish) and a speed limit at that corner of 25mph.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Arch,

Based on experience... The best advice I can give you is to talk to the prosecuter first, and see if you can reach some type of an agreement. If you have a clean record, you should easily be able to walk away with a 1 point ticket, which is not bad at all.

Bring up the fact that the state law you were written for is nothing more than a $46 dollar fine, which is also mailable. Once you mail it in, your 3 points automatically reduce to 1 point. However, in your case it was a summons, (I don't know why).

I would definitly try to strike a deal before taking it all the way before the judge. If you're found guilty, you will be guilty of the entire 3 points, as well as the fine, and court costs.

Just 2 cents.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
According to this skid speed calculator http://www.harristechnical.com/skid33.htm

You were going "at least" 74mph at the onset of the skid. (265 foot skid at a downhill -6 degree slope)

Keep in mind that these calculators are based on average friction of tires, pavement etc. It is also calcualating that the skid came to a rest by itself and not impacting the rocks like your bike did.

Obviously there are lots of other factors. But all they are going to see is a miniumum of 74mph (ish) and a speed limit at that corner of 25mph.

Jeep, that is all a valid point, however the drag factor of the roadway is not taken into consideration with that equation. They must have a set drag factor when you select either concrete or asphalt for your pavement surface. The higher the drag factor the more the speed will go up at the end of the equation.

If you slide on concrete for 265 feet, you were going faster than if you had slid on ice for 265'.

In Arch's case, there could've been sand/oil/grime who knows what. I wasn't on scene. I would be willing to bet, however, that the officer that investigated the accident scene will not bring any of this up in court. This is not considered a serious accident, thus probably didn't have the most detailed of on scene investigations.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
42-4-711. Driving on mountain highways. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=28f22fdc.17ad007f.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-4-711%27%5D)

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle traveling through defiles or canyons or on mountain highways shall hold such motor vehicle under control and as near to the right-hand edge of the highway as reasonably possible and, except when driving entirely to the right of the center of the roadway, shall give audible warning with the horn of such motor vehicle upon approaching any curve where the view is obstructed within a distance of two hundred feet along the highway.
(2) On narrow mountain highways with turnouts having a grade of six percent or more, ascending vehicles shall have the right-of-way over descending vehicles, except where it is more practicable for the ascending vehicle to return to a turnout.
(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

This is the statute you were cited under. It's an infraction. That also means that you will most likely be prosecuted by the officer, should you happen to go to trial.

McVaaahhh
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
So Chris,

I gotta ask, but would the "circumstances beyond your control" that caused the crash be that you were going a bit too fast in that tight section of the CCP?

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if your bike slid over 200 feet and hit the wall hard enough to destroy it like it did I'd say you were probably going too fast for the corner? :dunno:

Regardless, I'm glad you're ok and I hope you get a break in court, but I kind of agree with everyone else that if you try and fight it you're screwed.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
the plot thickens...

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
You are screwed. Simply by sliding 200+ feet a judge is going to concur you speed was far beyond the posted speed limit. Hopefully you'll get some mercy from your certs, proper gear, etc. I'm afraid all that isn't going to matter when the officer presents his side.

Shortcake got her ticket reduced because and officer witnessed it and could attest speed wasn't a factor, nor was State property damaged (the guardrail).

I'm moderately impressed that DK managed to bring this up WITHOUT reposting "that picture". :applause:

Glad you're OK, Chris!

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
So Chris,

I gotta ask, but would the "circumstances beyond your control" that caused the crash be that you were going a bit too fast in that tight section of the CCP?

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if your bike slid over 200 feet and hit the wall hard enough to destroy it like it did I'd say you were probably going too fast for the corner? :dunno:

Regardless, I'm glad you're ok and I hope you get a break in court, but I kind of agree with everyone else that if you try and fight it you're screwed.

I think that's a proper assessment. Be prepared for the question "How could this have been prevented?" If you go to court.

Aracheon
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think you're right. :(

the problem is... he fell and crashed, and that constitues riding in an unsafe manner. regardless of his speed since he crashed they will unfortunately say that he was riding too fast for the conditions.

And when i was talking to the Police Officer he mentioned that they tend to have a good amount of crashes and speeding violations along the road, which won't work in Chris's favor either.

Yeah... :(

Arch,

Based on experience... The best advice I can give you is to talk to the prosecuter first, and see if you can reach some type of an agreement. If you have a clean record, you should easily be able to walk away with a 1 point ticket, which is not bad at all.

Bring up the fact that the state law you were written for is nothing more than a $46 dollar fine, which is also mailable. Once you mail it in, your 3 points automatically reduce to 1 point. However, in your case it was a summons, (I don't know why).

I would definitly try to strike a deal before taking it all the way before the judge. If you're found guilty, you will be guilty of the entire 3 points, as well as the fine, and court costs.

Just 2 cents.

The only reason it's a summons is because there was over $1,000 in damage and there were "minor injuries."

So Chris,

I need to check with Gilpin county as well as with Central City prior to going in, but if there was mag chloride or gravel on the road, I would consider that to be a circumstance beyond my control. But I see your point 100% - they'll still probably consider it unsafe because as far up CCP I had traveled, the conditions would have been the same through all the corners prior - therefore narrowing the cause to error on the driver's behalf. At fault.

In my defense here, I'll say that I don't think I was going too fast for the corner or for what I felt my ability was. But, my judgment is certainly questionable being that I should have known my tires couldn't/wouldn't handle the turn at the speed I was going.

I'm moderately impressed that DK managed to bring this up WITHOUT reposting "that picture". :applause:

Glad you're OK, Chris!

:lol:

I guess I won't need you to weld those swingarm spools on for me now. :D

Joecycle
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Chris, Glad your alright man. Without a doubt you're a poster child for gear. It's good to see you were wearing it all and came out safely.

King Nothing
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
cops = FAIL

Matty
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
In my defense here, I'll say that I don't think I was going too fast for the corner or for what I felt my ability was. But, my judgment is certainly questionable being that I should have known my tires couldn't/wouldn't handle the turn at the speed I was going.

I'm kinda wondering what speed i took that turn now.

Ricky
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Honestly I have to agree wth talking to the DA first. Biggest suggestion is to go in with a huge smile on your face, ask him/her how the day is going. Make a clean joke or try to get him/her to laugh and feel positive in your presence. Make the DA feel that you're a good, nice person and this really was just an accident. They will tend to be a ton more leniant on you when this happens. NEVER let your attitude turn sour, or even as far as serious. That's an attitude for the courtroom.

Xtremjeepn
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
... however the drag factor of the roadway is not taken into consideration with that equation. They must have a set drag factor when you select either concrete or asphalt for your pavement surface. The higher the drag factor the more the speed will go up at the end of the equation.

In Arch's case, there could've been sand/oil/grime who knows what. ..

That is why I finished it out with a disclaimer that there are other factors. (and pointed out that the skid calc is for TIRES, not plastic, sldiers, pegs, etc. )

I was there. Clean, dry, COLD, asphalt.

No matter how you slice it it is easy to see that he was WAY over the posted limit of 25mph. Which is the downfall in ANY arguement against factors beyond his control.

fullgrownbear
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
^^^Agreed.

konichd
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm kinda wondering what speed i took that turn now.

Probably between 160-190 because we all know your the fuckin' man! ;)

lovinCO
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
I need to check with Gilpin county as well as with Central City prior to going in, but if there was mag chloride or gravel on the road, I would consider that to be a circumstance beyond my control. But I see your point 100% - they'll still probably consider it unsafe because as far up CCP I had traveled, the conditions would have been the same through all the corners prior - therefore narrowing the cause to error on the driver's behalf. At fault.

I do a lot of work in Gilpin County and drive that road all the time. It sounds like you crashed just after going under the bridge, before the road narrows down to one lane? Those corners are often sandy even in summer and they do spray mag-chloride on the CC parkway. I say blame it on sand and try to look cute.

Xtremjeepn
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
So you think the cop did not notice the lack of sand?

Last traffic accident report form I saw had a box for road conditions. I would bet that the exact condition of the road are documented in the report.

Hell, I went through the corner at about XXMPH (pleading the 5th amendment) and noticed that there was no sand.

Slo
Tue Apr 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
So you think the cop did not notice the lack of sand?

Last traffic accident report form I saw had a box for road conditions. I would bet that the exact condition of the road are documented in the report.

Hell, I went through the corner at about XXMPH (pleading the 5th amendment) and noticed that there was no sand.

You never know, had a friend that got a ticket and the officer (state trooper) forgot to list any type of infraction....

derekm
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
didnt read through it all, wanna sell that thing????

Matty
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
it was totalled... not much left in working or riding order... not much spare parts either.

Aracheon
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM

it was totalled... not much left in working or riding order... not much spare parts either.

Yeah... what Matty said. :( The subframe was snapped in half and the main frame was tweaked to the point where some of the welds had started to crack. The only thing worthwhile was the engine, but it's sitting along with the frame in a junkyard somewhere. I have a F/S thread up with the last remaining parts from the F4i if you're interested in those... ECU, seat, and pegs.

AmazingAshton
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah... what Matty said. :( The subframe was snapped in half and the main frame was tweaked to the point where some of the welds had started to crack. The only thing worthwhile was the engine, but it's sitting along with the frame in a junkyard somewhere. I have a F/S thread up with the last remaining parts from the F4i if you're interested in those... ECU, seat, and pegs.

At least you came out pretty much unscathed and got a new bike out of it!

Sortarican
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 11:25 AM
... I say blame it on sand and try to look cute.

Chris,
Just blame it on sand. If you try to look cute too you'll loose all credibility.:lol:

So the insurance co. cut you a check yet?
When/What ya going shopping for a new one?

Aracheon
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Chris,
Just blame it on sand. If you try to look cute too you'll loose all credibility.:lol:

So the insurance co. cut you a check yet?
When/What ya going shopping for a new one?

I know. :lol:

The accident happened on a Saturday. I called the claim in on Sunday. They inspected the bike and the gear on Monday, cut me a check on Tuesday, and took the bike on Wednesday. Progressive handled this one VERY quickly, I was rather surprised. I looked at a 2005 600RR that Friday, and picked it up the following Monday.

Sortarican
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I.... I looked at a 2005 600RR that Friday, and picked it up the following Monday.

And here I was feeling bad for ya being bikeless.
Post up pics of the new girl!

A couple people have said the same about Progressive.
I'd consider swithing except I get too good a deal doing home/car/bike together and they don't do home.

Aracheon
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
And here I was feeling bad for ya being bikeless.
Post up pics of the new girl!

A couple people have said the same about Progressive.
I'd consider swithing except I get too good a deal doing home/car/bike together and they don't do home.

http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21151

;)

Xtremjeepn
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
If anyone wants the originally hosted pics save them now. I will probably delete them from my hosting soon.