PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, No Speedo?

Joecycle
Wed Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
So my speedometer quit working on my '03 SV650 (naked).
Happened on the Saturday ride in the middle of going up horsepower hill.
The speedometer is digital (tach analog) and all the sudden it went to zero. Subsequently, the odometer isn't reading also. Computer's still thinking, cause I can still read the temp and clock on the display.

Any suggestions?

I figure a good place to start is check the speed sensor. Is it easy to replace?
I checked the fuses last night, but didn't see one that said "Speed Sensor." though it might be coupled with the light assembly fuse. Also made sure the wires were still properly connected in the headlight assembly.

Figure I'll ask on here and see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Appreciate the help.
-Joe

Doron&Katie
Wed Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Don't have an answer, but have gone to sv-portal.com for help in the past. They might know.

tarded400
Wed Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
My guess is a bad speed sensor or cable.

MattTLS
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joe,

I'd assume the speed sensor is mounted on the countershaft sprocket cover on this bike. First, make sure it is still there -- could be you just lost a bolt. If that appears good, you could take that cover off and check the sensor's condition on the other side of the cover and/or check connections from the sensor toward the speedo.

Rednarb
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
You can have mine.

http://manolomen.com/images/Donny%20Deutsch%20in%20Speedo.jpg

Joecycle
Fri Apr 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
....Shudder....

That picture scares me. Thankfully I don't need to do anything to the speed sensor. Somehow I fixed it last night. I put the bike on the stands, disconnected all the electrical connects that needed checking. Re-connected everything, took it around the block and the speedometer worked! :dunno:

So maybe there was some moisture, or loose connection. Who knows, but problem fixed.

Keep your speedo's to yourself!

Chad4000
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
same thing happened to me but I ended up having to get a sensor. bout $75.