PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Speedo

Devaclis
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
So the speedo on my Hawk is waaaaaay off. I have been doing research on some of the better quality bicycle speedos and found a wireless jobby that works very well. Accurate to 1/100th of a mile and all sorts of goodies. Once I get my camera back I will post some shots of the install and some data on reliability and stuff.

SIGMA BC800 Wireless.

rybo
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I've heard that the electrics on a bike can really mess up the wireless units, looks like you're finding this isn't true.

Cool!

Devaclis
Wed Sep 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM
After about 2 months of research, and speaking to some people who have used them on all makes of bike, I found the BC800 to be reported as pretty reliable.

Only thing I needed to do was go and get a rare earth magnet from Radio Shack. The stock unit needs to be placed within 5mm of the pickup and I can't meet those tollerances on my particular bike.

You also want to make sure that you get a unit that will be accurate with 1 wheel, instead of 2.

Since I cannot fix the problem with the Honda speedo on my bike, this was the only alternative.

Oh, 1 other thing, after researching, I only found a coupld of bicycle speedos that go up to 150 mhp. Most only went to 55 or 60mph.

mikesf4i
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
You can get a cheap GPS for $100. I would have went that way just for the added features of a GPS . They also go to 600 mph not just 150. You can change gearing, tires etc and they are still accurate. And you never need to calibrate them.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 09:39 AM
I have a pretty nice GPS already but it is a bit large for the bike. I would rather not buy another.

Calibration is not difficult with the BC, it takes less than 2 minutes total. I do like the fact it is small, easy to read and simple. No major distractions while riding. All I really need to know is my speed.

If I could find a small GPS - 3x3", I may go that way in the future. But then again, I could also put sonar, a depth gauge and a trolling motor on my bike if I wanted ;)

rybo
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I have a pretty nice GPS already but it is a bit large for the bike. I would rather not buy another.

Calibration is not difficult with the BC, it takes less than 2 minutes total. I do like the fact it is small, easy to read and simple. No major distractions while riding. All I really need to know is my speed.

If I could find a small GPS - 3x3", I may go that way in the future. But then again, I could also put sonar, a depth gauge and a trolling motor on my bike if I wanted ;)

You forgot to mention the spin control parachute

Devaclis
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Damn, so the longer I ride with this the more I am noticing the speed is distorted when I brake.

I have the magnets mounted on the brake rotor, close to the hub. This is the only mounting point I could find that is still close enough to be picked up by the receiver. So I am thinking this is not going to work. I did not get any interference while cruising, or accelerating, just breaking.

I do have to say that you were right on that one (interference)

The spin control parachute is a great idea. I think NASA is going to be putting 2 parachutes on EBay soon. Never been used.

Now, for those that recommended a GPS:
I only have limited experience. I have a Garmin that is getting kind of old and is pretty big. Can you recommend any small, inexpensive ones? Something I can mount and remove when I park the bike? I don’t need a million options. Speed, distance, and maybe the ability to mark waypoints.

I am going to keep experimenting until I can get this speedo issue resolved. I don't want any tickets due to HW failure.

I guess the GPS idea was a great one after all ;)

Hozerking
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
how do you see the display at night!?

-al

Devaclis
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I squint. Unfortunately the BC is not back lit.

Hozerking
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM
the ones I've looked at all lack the back light so I've been considering riging one up that takes its power right from the ignition and it has some carefully placed LEDs for lighting!

-al

NZ Darren
Thu Sep 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I have a bicycle speedo.

It used to work great, until the cable came loose and got chomped by my front wheel :lol:

But the main reason I got it was for a clock so I wouldn't be late to work and it still shows the temp etc.

It used to provide my speed, average speed, top speed and a bunch of other stuff, all for $20

mikesf4i
Fri Oct 1st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply to this. Garmin has the Geko and the E trex. If you get the bottom of their line with very few features you will be looking at around $100 . The geko is 1.9"w x 3.9"h x 0.96d. They also have the Foretrex 101 which is meant for jogging etc and has a wrist band. Their web site is www.garmin.com
I have an E trex if you want to take a look at it.

KooLaid
Sun Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
The bike speedos are supposed to be VERY accurate, because you actually roll out and measure the distance around/circumference of the wheel you're gonna use it on and input it into the computer.

KooLaid
Sun Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:26 PM
actually, why not just BORROW a friend's GPS and figure out the percentile difference when you're going say 60 mph indicated compared to the GPS, and when you ride, do that quick billionth of a second math to figure out a rough estimation of how fast you're going. No matter how fast or slow you go, the % will not change. (ex. indicated 60/gps actual 66; 30/33; 45/49.5; etc.) Aint tough, and CHEAP.

mikesf4i
Sun Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Yea, but in grade school they told me Id never use that math stuff in real life