PDA

View Full Version : swindlers

jsears1864
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
so first this guy tries to hock me a 2001 gsxr600 in peices for $3000. then it shows up on the mra classifieds for $4000 as a 2003. then this guy lies about his fairings for $250 bucks being "like new". then his racer buddy tries to sell me beat ass take off race tires for $150 a set.

I thought ebay was cut throat.

whats with all these so called-racers trying to rip some-one off for a couple bucks?

am i just a bitch or are fools being shaddy?

VFR
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Don't associate an entire community with the actions of a few douches. They are desperate for cash and are willing to lie to you or let you be unsafe for their addiction. There is a fucktard or 2 in any sport, so treat it as them and not racers...

P.S

Post in as many places as possible about their shitty dealings

D Berns R6
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
what racer in the MRA was it?

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Post up their race numbers so we can be sure to give them our 'support'.

Spiderman
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
This forum is typically reserved for shops, but if you have a bad experience with an individual, it can serve as a warning to others. With that said, if you're going to complain, at least post up the name(s) (screen name & actual name) of who you're complaining about so that: a) other people know who to avoid, and; b) the complainee can respond. Naming them might also force you to be more detailed, and tactful in the choice of your words, otherwise it just looks like you're hiding behind your keyboard and bitching.

so first this guy tries to hock me a 2001 gsxr600 in peices for $3000. then it shows up on the mra classifieds for $4000 as a 2003.How do you know it's the same bike?

then this guy lies about his fairings for $250 bucks being "like new".Same guy?

then his racer buddy tries to sell me beat ass take off race tires for $150 a set.Depending on the take offs, $150 may not be unreasonable. Sure you referred to them as "beat ass", but what exactly does that mean? How many laps did they have on them? How many heat cycles have they been through?

mayhem
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
whats up bob? just sayin hi

jsears1864
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
i don't want to be a snitch. im just kind of sick of "racers" trying to sell bunk shit it seems.

first this dude said it had a season and a half after rebuild. then i saw it posted as having only "3 or 4" sessions. I might be wrong on the gixxer year though.

then this other guy, who will remain nameless, was going to sell me these dot pilot race tires with 3 or 4 sessions on them at pueblo as being great for the street? i heard they are only good for a few heat cycles and after riding them on the street for a few days would turn them into plastic?

am i wrong?

if im wrong then i'll shut up.

jsears1864
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
This forum is typically reserved for shops, but if you have a bad experience with an individual, it can serve as a warning to others. With that said, if you're going to complain, at least post up the name(s) (screen name & actual name) of who you're complaining about so that: a) other people know who to avoid, and; b) the complainee can respond. Naming them might also force you to be more detailed, and tactful in the choice of your words, otherwise it just looks like you're hiding behind your keyboard and bitching.

How do you know it's the same bike?

Same guy?

Depending on the take offs, $150 may not be unreasonable. Sure you referred to them as "beat ass", but what exactly does that mean? How many laps did they have on them? How many heat cycles have they been through?

all different guys.

they gave the same it's in great shape, till you take a whole day off to drive out and see that it was garbage.

jplracing
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
i don't want to be a snitch. im just kind of sick of "racers" trying to sell bunk shit it seems.

first this dude said it had a season and a half after rebuild. then i saw it posted as having only "3 or 4" sessions. I might be wrong on the gixxer year though.

then this other guy, who will remain nameless, was going to sell me these dot pilot race tires with 3 or 4 sessions on them at pueblo as being great for the street? i heard they are only good for a few heat cycles and after riding them on the street for a few days would turn them into plastic?

am i wrong?

if im wrong then i'll shut up.

Jsears -

I don't know who gave you the information about the tires or what context the information was in. However, you are being misguided.

Race take off tires are ment to be made in soft compounds to provide the maximum grip possible. Yes it is true that after a few heat cycles they loose some grip (maybe 10%). But lets be honest. You (nor I) are going to push the bike to the maximum extent of the tire while riding on the street.

You also need to be aware that since the tire is soft to begin with, it is not going to provide the same milage as a street tire. A race take off is maybe good for a thousand miles (maybe less). However, they are at least half the price of buying a new set of tires. Normally you can find them for $80 or less.

Also to address your "plastic" comment. I am going to assume that you were told that someone used take offs in cold weather, pulled out of their neighborhood, waked the throttle and hit the ground. Must have been the tire, right? Personally I think that has more to do with the rider and poor technique, than the tire. I have riden on take offs in both hot and cold weather and never have any problems.

As Bob mentioned you need to address the problem you are having with them. As not all of us racers are out to screw you or anyone else.

In terms of the bike you looked at it is next to impossible to comment based on your description. Was the bike mechanically sound and just rough on the bodywork? All race bikes hit the ground at some point or another. There is a reason that they are built to minimize damage during a crash. Cosmetic damage doesn't mean the bike is crap. But on the other hand the thing could have been cart wheeled down the track........

Joe

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Race take-offs and DOT standards are like oil and water ------ they don't mix.

jsears1864
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM
the "plastic" comment is from a high school friend who has raced in wera for the last three years. thats what he told me. The tires had "3 or 4" sessions on them and would be good for "a few thousand miles." a deal is a deal but not at the potential risk of someone else's life.

the other guys bike had a rebuilt engine a "season and a half" ago. it was going to blow any day i bet. he had the radiator hidden in the corner and pulled it out after the fact. That thing was DESTROYED. he told me it would be fine. it was just a frustrating experience.

thanks for the feedback

Spiderman
Sun Apr 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM
whats up bob? just sayin hi
Hey! :cheers:

first this dude said it had a season and a half after rebuild. then i saw it posted as having only "3 or 4" sessions. I might be wrong on the gixxer year though.If you looked at a parted-out 2001, and think a ready-to-go (not parted-out) 2003 (with a fresher motor) is the same bike just because the same guy is involved, then you're apparently not aware that there are a few racers out there who "flip" bikes for a profit to help support their racing habit. It's not unheard of for one of such racers to have multiple projects going on at the same time. If they decide to sell one in a parted-out condition, I can only guess that they decided it wasn't worth their time or effort to fix it up. :dunno:

am i wrong?
3 or 4 sessions from an MRA racer, depending on the number of laps & heat cycles, could easily be worth between $100-$150.

I've been riding on my own race take-offs for a couple of years now. To save money when I was racing, I would use a set of race tires for 2 entire weekends, so that's 3 or 4 practice sessions on each of 2 Saturdays, a couple of practice sessions each Sunday, plus 3 x 7-lap races, with a total of 4 heat cycles (I left my warmers on, at a lower temp setting, through lunch). Race tires take longer to warm up than street tires (which is why racers use tire-warmers). Knowing this, I'm easy on the throttle when first starting out on the street, and the colder it is outside, the longer I wait for them to warm up before riding agressively. But I have no quams about going for a spirited canyon ride on my old race take-offs.

would be good for "a few thousand miles."I'm not sure what kind of mileage I'm getting out of my take-offs... I know on street tires, I was getting about 2500 miles out of a rear, and 5000 out of a front. Race tires would be less, but I'm guessing I'm getting around 1500 out of a rear and 3000 out of a front.

all different guys.

they gave the same it's in great shape, till you take a whole day off to drive out and see that it was garbage.
Sorry you had such a string of bad luck. :(