PDA

View Full Version : Loud mufflers

r6srider
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Is it true that Colorado just past a law for bikes to quiet down their mufflers? My friend told methat. Cars need to hear us coming is their a noise ordanance for bikes. For me being new at bikes I need all the noise I can get. Maybe a fog horn will do lol. What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?

Spiderman
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 12:46 AM
The city of Denver has a law targeting after-market pipes. I don't know the details & it doesn't concern me because I have the stock pipe on my bike. In fact, I like that my bike isn't annoying to my neighbors (in case I'm coming home late or leaving early).

Cars do not need to hear us coming - they need to see us coming. A loud exhaust isn't going to do squat for an idiot that's got his stereo blasting. Unfortunately we can't force them to see us, but if you're concerned about your own safety, be more attentive and aware of the drivers around you... Ride like you're INVISIBLE, not like you're invincible!

Read the sticky in this forum: Aftermarket Exhaust - Got one? Want one? Consider this... (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6689)

What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?
Lights
;)

towneh
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by r6srider http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=285878#post285878)
What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?
Originally Posted by spiderman
Lights
;)

oh yeah.... add more lights in an attention-getting manner!!!
and burn 'em all of the time!

bus_henry (with those light-bazookas on-board...look at the avatar on the left) :)

Canuck
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
The sound issue has already been discussed above. Also sound waves travels behind the moving bike, not infront of. The most effective way of grabbing attention towards other vehicles is visually and riding defensively.

Ricky
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
The sound issue has already been discussed above. Also sound waves travels behind the moving bike, not infront of. The most effective way of grabbing attention towards other vehicles is visually and riding defensively.

No doubt. I can't ever remember a time where a Harley rider went flying by me in my cage, and I heard him before he was right next to me. Especially with my stereo up. When the stereo in the car can easily exceed 100db, then there's no chance of me hearing any bike. As others said, assume you can't be seen. I also now have the habit of riding with my brights on during the day. And I recently converted the flushmount LED turn signals on my bike to be on all the time rather than just for the signal.

RyNo24
Mon Apr 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
People hardly get get out of the way for fire trucks coming anymore. They have sirens (going over 100bd), air horns, lots-o-LED lights, and are bright red. So loud pipes would not really do much.