PDA

View Full Version : Race teams?

pauliep
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
What's all entailed in having one, putting one together, maintaining?

Is it so a group of racers can share some sponsors?

Thanks!

Sortarican
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM
What's all entailed in having one, putting one together..

Judging by DK and Team Angry Marmmot, pretty much just coming up with a clever name.
(At least that's all I plan to do this season.)

lovinCO
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
What's all entailed in having one, putting one together, maintaining?

Is it so a group of racers can share some sponsors?

Thanks!

More like so a group of racers can share a canopy. :)

rybo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
In my case it allowed me to come up with a clever name, that happens to be true. It also provided a mental incentive to start a business that will help me by allowing some of the expenses to be tax deductible. Some of my sponsors this year provided a small amount of cash, which would have become "income" if I didn't have a way of offsetting the profit. On the downside I now have to track everything, and that's some work, but in the end it's going to be worth it.

Spleenless has gone "Multi-Rider" this season with another Ducati racer named Eric sharing the trailer and pit space. We're also trying to get additional riders on the LOR grid, and someone will be riding the R6 in that field this year! None of the other members were required to have their spleens removed to be a part of the team.

Finally by forming a company I get some liability protection should something go wrong and someone else gets hurt and feels that their getting hurt is worth suing me for.

Slo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I think it also comes down to what your intentions are on having a team or being part of a team. Sponsorship can definitely help as long as everyone is on the same page with them and helping them benefit somehow through a sponsorship, just like with cars or anything else for that matter.

Me and a couple of people have discussed about starting a race team but very loosely for now, still in the works. We are actually meeting this week to discuss more.

pauliep
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think the intentions are to race and sport a really cool name together, hehe

http://70s.fast-rewind.com/grease2.jpg

Slo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think the intentions are to race and sport a really cool name together, hehe

http://70s.fast-rewind.com/grease2.jpg

True haha, but also, theres an additional comradery, and each of them always available to help or push each other.....

I am sure there are many benefits along with offsetting some costs just like Scott had mentioned.

pauliep
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I can bring a lot to the team. ie help the others work on their passes, lol.
'

about to be owned

Sortarican
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
.... None of the other members were required to have their spleens removed to be a part of the team.

Sure that's wise?
How can you know they're really committed without making the same sacrifices you've made?

Dana and I were gonna start team Brainless Racing....but it sounded too much like your's Scott.

...Me and a couple of people have discussed about starting a race team but very loosely for now, still in the works....

Slo-Pan Racing?
http://media.vidilife.com/image/2006/7/9/822820/885692L.jpg

Slo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
no maybe something along the lines of SloAss racing haha....

ZX Rider
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The best name for a racing team i've ever heard is:
"Team constipated-we can't pass nothing"
I think Frank (CYCLE MONKEY) said that.

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM

There we go Jay: Hung Chow Racing! http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

sprtbkbabe
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Finally by forming a company I get some liability protection should something go wrong and someone else gets hurt and feels that their getting hurt is worth suing me for.

that's it! I'll sue for...

...more Milliken pizza! :yumyum:

Thankfully, I sorta like my spleen, so I'll keep it this season. But, THANKS!

rybo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
that's it! I'll sue for...

...more Milliken pizza! :yumyum:

No need to sue for that, all you have to do is ask!

Slo
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Hahaha im picturing their logo as someone squatting over an empty toilet with the best expression!!!!

firefghtr
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
prolly with there forehead rinkles all crunched up with a really red face holding there breathe about to pass out. haha i like it

pauliep
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hahaha im picturing their logo as someone squatting over an empty toilet with the best expression!!!!

Hunched over like their on their bike wearing a helmet and gear on a toliet.

Clarkie
Tue Apr 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
one thing to be aware of when starting a 'Team' is that a lot of the time one of the team members drops the ball and doesnt actually do or bring what they said they would bring to the team.

I know of a lot of teams locally where one rider has dropped the ball leaving the other rider/s holding the bag. If you make a commitment to a sponsor to do say 8 rounds and one of the team members cant be bothered to turn up to 4 of them, that remaining rider will still look bad in the eyes of the sponsor.

If you commit to a team (usually a group of friends) make sure you follow through with what you say you will do