PDA

View Full Version : Custom Leathers?

NineTwoFour
Wed May 7th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Hey all,
Does anyone have any experience with having a set of leathers made custom? Any recommendations, or local shops that do it?

Perhaps someone has experience with altering leather suits? Can it be done and not compromise the safety?

I want to be able to do some track days, but off the rack leathers don't fit me at all. I am short, and have an athletic build and I am finding almost all leathers are cut tall and LEAN.

Thanks in advance.

Wed May 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM
I have a set of custom-made Vanson leathers. they are expensive, but I absolutely love them, and trust them totally. After sending them very detailed measurements, these leathers fit like a second skin.

SYED leathers are good too, and a bit cheaper.

Same goes for Barnacle Bill's leathers.

A bit of web investigating will lead you to all these companies. I've seen examples of all their work, and think any of them would be a good choice.

Bryce
Thu May 8th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Z customs should also be an option I have heard many people say good things about them and if I'm not wrong I belive TC (ytry2) has a set

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 07:43 AM
I was wondering if a hump can be added to a suit in anyway? Either by velcro or something or even permantly added? Any ideas?

yakuza
Mon May 12th, 2003, 09:40 AM
I've heard some of the custom leather makers talk about adding the "Aero hump" to suits that don't come with it, in the $100 range if I'm remembering correctly. I think Barnacle Bill was the one I'm thinking of, but other leather repair/customization places should be able to do it.

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Got any names of a few places? I got to hook that up soon.

yakuza
Mon May 12th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Aerodynamics are the only thing holding you back from top speed now, huh Dion?? :lol:

http://www.racingleather.com/suitspg/suitspg.html

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Nah I would say my biggest factor is my suspention set up. Its still stock and I have yet to get it set up for me. However, I cant buy another suit for a while so adding a hump may be my only way to get one at this point....... Sucks to be poor. haha

I sent BBill an email for pricing info. Any companies in CO?

yakuza
Mon May 12th, 2003, 10:24 AM
That's the only place I know does it, you'd have to spend some time calling around and see who might do it for you locally. Most cobbler shops should be equipped to sew the heavy leather.

I'm curious why you want to add one though, if it were me I'd spend the money on the suspension instead of an aero hump, I'm sure that'll have more impact in making you fast. :)

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Not planning an Aero hump anytime soon. My first purchase from this point forward is a damper. I have decided its a must and worthy of saving for. So it will be low on the priority list for a hump. haha

My suspention is fine, I dont have any complaints, however, I dont know any better. I have never had mine set up differently so I dont know how good it can be...... Get me?

yakuza
Mon May 12th, 2003, 11:49 AM
I hear ya, and that makes sense. I can tell you, I didn't think a new shock would do much, but it has totally changed the way my bike rides and handles, and the fork work I did was critical to get the bike handling well. I think out of all the money I've spent on my bike, the suspension work is by far the best investment. As they say, "The best you've ridden is the best you can know" or something like that.

About a hump being a low priority for you... I won't even go there. :lol:

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 11:52 AM
haha STOP MAKING FUN OF ME!!!!!!!! haha

I could use some tips on how to set my suspention. Maybe next time I see U at the track we can tweek it a bit here and there and see what happens........ Thanks for the info

yakuza
Mon May 12th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Sounds good, Dion, just setting the sag and trying different settings can make a noticeable difference. We can work on that next time at the track, for sure. :up:

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Here is the info I got from Barnacle Bill. I emailed him and here is the details.

barnacle bill>> we do a lot of those. price for the hump is 75.00 plus
return shipping. your name in chrome lettering across the hump would look very cool too. it is 6.00 a letter. shipping will run about 12.00 if ytou
want to pre-pay it and save a 7.00 cod charge. just stick a check or money order in the suit with the instructions and return address. thanks, Bill

Mon May 12th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I've seen humps that Bill put into suits. They look fine, I guess, and hold up to crashes, too.

Can't really say that I see the point though.

BlueDevil
Mon May 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Well they give U that squatty Alien look and thats really in now days so I want to be trendy. haha :D

Anonymous
Mon May 12th, 2003, 02:43 PM
More protection in a crash - prevents whiplash & softens the blow of that backwards summersault when you're sliding-backwards-on-your-arse-and-you-think-you're-going-slow-enough-to-get-up-so-you-put-your-hands-down-only-to-find-out-that-you've-just-given-yourself-a-pivot-point-for-that-backward-momentum-to-flip-you-with. :lol:

Anonymous
Wed May 14th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Yea, they also get in the way when trying to do a stand-up wheelie. :oops: