PDA

View Full Version : Any home wrenchers ever change a...

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
... Coolant Temperature Sensor, on a 2.8 Audi/Dub 6-cyl?

If so, I want to pay you, to change mine.

Hallelujah, Holla back.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
And sorry for posting car tech in a 'bike tech" forum. I HAD NOWHERE ELSE TO TURN!!

UglyDogRacing
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I bet Dick could do that for you.

Devaclis
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
^^ Werd, Dick can do it.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'm sure he could, but I don't want to bug the guy, and would just rather see if somebody here wanted to do it. I've called Dick for stuff in the past, had some general questions and such, and to be honest, I never got many of my voicemails returned. :dunno:

Anyway, if somebody here wants to make a few bucks doing this, showing me how, whatever, that's cool. I'd rather hook somebody up with $40, $50, $70, what-have-you, than take it somewhere; but I'm not opposed to that either.

From what I've read, it's not a super tricky job, but it sure is hell isn't anything I'm gonna be trying anytime soon! I need this to be fixed, in&out, and over with, not a project to cut my automotive teeth on.
:lol:

Gramps
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I remember the shock and strut ordeal on the camry

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
For real.

Those who forget history are doomed to blow-it with their A4.

That's what I've always said, anyway.

Devaclis
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Do you have the new sensor B? I could change it for you but it would have to be after this weekend.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Not in hand, no. But I have found plenty of places to order it from. It's averageing to be about a $30.00 part, so I'm going to call a dealer now, and see what they want for one. If it's negligible, I'll just go pick one up.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Import Car Parts of Colorado actually has them for <$20, so I'll go get one this weekend, since they are only open till 5:00 on weekdays.

And if you're still down once we get into next week Dana, I'll take you up on the offer, and we'll coordinate. Am I going to have to buy coolant to refill the system with, or is this thing swapped out, w/out having to touch actual fluids?

Devaclis
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
De do not need to drain the system but a certain amount of coolant will be lost. I would highly recommend a full flush tho.

Sortarican
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I try to avoid getting involved with married women.
Opps, thought the subject was home wreckers....nevermind.

konichd
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Barn,
If you want it done this weekend let me know. I'll be working on bikes and the TB Sat. morning. Bring the sensor and I can swap it out, the only catch is any old coolant you will have to take to Checker (they take it for free) to dispose of properly. 20 minutes and a little teflon tape you should be good.

I like breakfast burrito's or chimi-changa's

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
De do not need to drain the system but a certain amount of coolant will be lost. I would highly recommend a full flush tho.

Hmm... Well about 6 months ago I had my whole cooling system worked on. Got a new overflow res. (was cracked), a worn hose or 2 was replaced, and every clamp that was leaking was tightend or replaced. When this was done, I'm figuring they had to do a complete flush/fill. I don't know how you'd replace all those things, w/out draining the system.

But anyway, because it was so recent, I would really rather not have to do it all again, if it's avoidable.

Are you recommending it, just because of the volume of coolant that will be lost, or for another reason?

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
20 minutes and a little teflon tape you should be good.
Sounds like a distinct possibility. Is the tape for insulating it somehow, after it's installed?

I like breakfast burrito's or chimi-changa's
I'll get you one of each.

Sortarican
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a distinct possibility. Is the tape for insulating it somehow, after it's installed?.

Used to seal the threads.

konichd
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
^^^Teflon tape is used wherever you are screwing in a sensor to a wet application (coolant, oil, etc.) to prevent leaks. Also known as "plumbers tape" to the average folk.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ah ha. Well teflon tape it is, then!

Can you text me, or PM me your number DK, so I can have it again. I never got yours replaced after I donated my last phone to the ski gods.

And thanks for your offer to help as well, Dana. If you still think the whole flush/fill is a good idea, instead of just a top off, lemme know and I'll do it... err.... get help with it.

Filo
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ah ha. Well teflon tape it is, then!

Can you text me, or PM me your number DK, so I can have it again. I never got yours replaced after I donated my last phone to the ski gods.

And thanks for your offer to help as well, Dana. If you still think the whole flush/fill is a good idea, instead of just a top off, lemme know and I'll do it... err.... get help with it.

Damn Barn, did you and I date in an earlier life? You remind me of some old girlfriends. Of course, they offered more than Chimichangas and burritos for working on their cars. Maybe DK would take you up on an offer like that? He does ride a Kawasaki after all.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
No Adam. If that were the case, I would have just called you direct and used my sexy voice.

Filo
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
No Adam. If that were the case, I would have just called you direct and used my sexy voice.

I've not heard the sexy voice in a long time... a long time.

Pacman
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Crash the A4 baby!

Get the new STI 305hp awd, you can't go wrong, its a subie, they run forever.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I wish it were that easy, but I'm not really fond of doubling my car payment right now.

Although If I did euthanize the Quattro, I'd opt for the Leggy GT Limited, rather than the boy-racer. I'm getting sensible in my old age.

~Barn~
Sat Apr 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
So.... does anybody know where this part actually goes? I bought it.... We looked for it.... We didn't find it.

Anyone have an idea whurr this little sensor plugs in at? Or can point me in the right direction towards finding a .pdf service manual or whatever.
:dunno:

teamhypoxia
Sat Apr 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
http://audiforums.com/m_472384/tm.htm

with pictures and all

yea google!