PDA

View Full Version : Snow (again)

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9775x600.jpg

Yea, I'm just showing off :D

I saw a guy on a Harley with his beard full of slush as I went by Rt 52.

Carl

salsashark
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
nice... I got a lot of crazy looks this morning when I strolled in to work, helmet in tow.

Got out just as the flakes started to fly so I'm not as cool as you... no pun intended.

nice pic.

Dysco
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I just got home on the ruck. I knew it was gonna snow and brought all of my gear except the damn snow visor and my good winter gloves with the squeegee.

Damn wind was all over the place- I couldn't break 25MPH.

Rednarb
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Funny, I was driving home and I thought about you riding in this mess!

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I just got home on the ruck. I knew it was gonna snow and brought all of my gear except the damn snow visor and my good winter gloves with the squeegee.

Damn wind was all over the place- I couldn't break 25MPH.

I did a quick google search on the snow visor. Is this it?

http://www.blacktopmotorsport.com/DOT_MODULAR_SNOW_VISOR_p/bth-90s.htm

How's it work for you? Is it helmet specific?

I brought the aerostich gloves along and the thumb squeegee worked very well but I still had some water on the inside of the helmet.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9774x600.jpg

Can you see me now?

Carl

Dysco
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I did a quick google search on the snow visor. Is this it?

http://www.blacktopmotorsport.com/DOT_MODULAR_SNOW_VISOR_p/bth-90s.htm

How's it work for you? Is it helmet specific?

I brought the aerostich gloves along and the thumb squeegee worked very well but I still had some water on the inside of the helmet.

Carl

This one is the one I used for a long time and I have a new one in the garage:
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SU847-361

It fits HJC CL-14, and CL-12 (older)

There's also a non-electric that is cheaper, dual lense, and works better than a normal visor that fits the same helmet but I preferred electric, despite the cost, in falling snow.

There's only 2 problems with a visor in falling snow: the inside and the outside :D The oustide is going to get coated in snow/water/ice depending on the temps and the inside is going to get foggy which can lead to big drops of condensation or just plain ice (again, depending on the temp). You can control the outside with a squeegee and the inside by cracking it. I always felt I'd lost the battle if I was trying to wipe the inside because by then my glasses were messed up and my vision was crap. The non-electric, dual lense shield fixes the inside fogging problem by a big percentage but doesn't fix the outside problem. The electric fixed both problems; I still had to squeegee, but it didn't freeze.

In nice weather I wore a different helmet with a standard faceshield or packed the electric visor and rode with a hard visor on the HJC. There's definitely a structural difference, but visibility is everything.

I had a close call today because my setup sucked (I couldn't see) and some guy hadn't cleared off his windows. I'm more cheesed at myself that I at least didn't make the effort to grab the right helmet off the shelf. Now that I'm back on a bike more often, that'll be easier.

madvlad
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Nice lol, you look hella cold lol.... I got home right before the snow hit this afternoon lol. I got caught on snow once on hampden going home and man it was badass cause I was all completely white and so was the bike. All the people driving by me were crackin up lol.

Dysco
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
All the people driving by me were crackin up lol.

Driving by you? Damn, you're giving us a bad name. :lol:

Glad you made it home safely.

madvlad
Wed Apr 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
lol well at this point I got off on Kipling and was waiting at the light to go southbound so the people going northbound would just drive by and honk lol, on the highway I was flying past everyone though, maybe not the safest choice but I was just trying to make it home cause man I was one cold brown guy lol

Joecycle
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'll have to get the picture from last night off my camera (it's at home) but I rode the SV in this mess last night. Had a tough time with keeping the face shield clear, but just kept wiping with my leather snowmobile mittens, it did the trick.
Rode in this morning too. Roads weren't bad, cold and wet, but not really any ice. People gave me great looks and double-takes as I cruised by them. If they could only see my grin.
I'm riding "nothing but two" right now out of necessity since the car's in the garage up on 4 stands, but I'm really starting to enjoy it. Might just keep on doing it unless there's a foot of snow out there.

Devaclis
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
hahaha Nice Carl. Bringin' the hard-core home :)

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Oh yea :) I almost bailed this morning because of the talking heads but when I checked wunderground, I could see the temps were reasonable (above 28 ) and the street out front was mainly clear. No problem getting in at all :)

No other riders this morning and yea, the looks from the caged were pretty funny. I especially liked the drivers who just clean enough off the car to see to the front. Side windows blocked, rear windows blocked, and just their face visible through the snow and ice on the front windshield. Dumbasses.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
This one is the one I used for a long time and I have a new one in the garage:
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SU847-361

It fits HJC CL-14, and CL-12 (older)

There's also a non-electric that is cheaper, dual lense, and works better than a normal visor that fits the same helmet but I preferred electric, despite the cost, in falling snow.

And it fits the CL-MAX which is what I have. Birthday's coming up Sunday, maybe I can talk Rita into picking it up for me :D

Carl

Dysco
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
And it fits the CL-MAX which is what I have. Birthday's coming up Sunday, maybe I can talk Rita into picking it up for me :D

Carl

It's really easy to hook up- a wire to each battery terminal and then tuck it out of the way where it will be mostly dry. Then plug in when you need to.

Joecycle
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Oh yea :) I almost bailed this morning because of the talking heads but when I checked wunderground, I could see the temps were reasonable (above 28 ) and the street out front was mainly clear. No problem getting in at all :)

I watched them too, :banghead:, but with no internet at home I couldn't check online. I just laughed when they said how horrible it was, yet as I looked out the window it looked fine. I'm noticing how much I like the grooves in the highways now. They seem to serve a purpose keeping the ice sheets from forming.

wankel7
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I watched them too, :banghead:, but with no internet at home I couldn't check online. I just laughed when they said how horrible it was, yet as I looked out the window it looked fine. I'm noticing how much I like the grooves in the highways now. They seem to serve a purpose keeping the ice sheets from forming.

Yeah it really helps with drainage. They do the same thing to runways. Except they cut the grooves perpendicular to the runway. Works really well that way. It would just be super loud for a car.

How is the SV man? Get it running straight?

James

Joecycle
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
How is the SV man? Get it running straight?

(If I'm thread jacking, delete me)

Yeah, she's all better! Mike at Supertune made her ALL better :)

rforsythe
Thu May 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Speaking of snow, who's out riding today?

dm_gsxr
Thu May 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Speaking of snow, who's out riding today?

You know I am. There's like a half inch of snow on the bike right now. Should be fun :D

Carl

Sortarican
Thu May 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hard-Core Carl FTW!!!! :headbang:

I road this morning (from the front yard to the garage), does that count?

It's border line white-out here in the DTC.
Dana, you didn't ride today did you?
(Let me know if you need a lift home.)

Joecycle
Thu May 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
The Sv's parked in front of my work again today. :) No worries. I looked out and there's about 1/2~3/4 of an inch piling up on her. Pretty wet and will probably melt off before I leave.
I don't think there will be any accumulation on the roads today. They've been way to warm the past couple days. The only thing I'll watch out for is being able to see out of my face mask. I may stay off the highway since no cager is going to look for me today.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
The Sv's parked in front of my work again today. :) No worries. I looked out and there's about 1/2~3/4 of an inch piling up on her. Pretty wet and will probably melt off before I leave.
I don't think there will be any accumulation on the roads today. They've been way to warm the past couple days. The only thing I'll watch out for is being able to see out of my face mask. I may stay off the highway since no cager is going to look for me today.

Where do you work? I have an extra finger squeegee with me today I can loan you if you're close to Longmont :)

Carl

Joecycle
Thu May 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Where do you work? I have an extra finger squeegee with me today I can loan you if you're close to Longmont :)

Carl

I'm down in the mousetrap (the highway intersection, not the game).
I use my snowmobile leather mittens to wipe and it does the trick. I have the finger squeegee on my ice climbing gloves, but my fingers are a lot warmer in the mittens. In the gloves my pinky's seem to get a little numb in the cold.

So I've have almost everyone at work offer to give me a ride home. they must think people like us are crazy or something. :drink::silly:

dm_gsxr
Thu May 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm down in the mousetrap (the highway intersection, not the game).
I use my snowmobile leather mittens to wipe and it does the trick. I have the finger squeegee on my ice climbing gloves, but my fingers are a lot warmer in the mittens. In the gloves my pinky's seem to get a little numb in the cold.

So I've have almost everyone at work offer to give me a ride home. they must think people like us are crazy or something. :drink::silly:

:D Yea, I get that too. The funny ones are the guys who ask if I rode in and it's just a little nippy. "Jeeze, I didn't even turn on my electrics this morning. Of _course_ I rode in :) ".

Carl

rforsythe
Thu May 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
It really isn't that cold today. I just got back from the DMV with a tag for the VStrom with the hope of taking it out to play in the snow, but it seems to have just stopped. Bah, oh well.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
It really isn't that cold today. I just got back from the DMV with a tag for the VStrom with the hope of taking it out to play in the snow, but it seems to have just stopped. Bah, oh well.

Yea, one of the pirates dropped by to let me know that it stopped snowing and the sun was out :D

Carl