PDA

View Full Version : What kind of antifreeze?

B_Ott
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
My bike was hitting 220 a few days ago when it was only 70s so I want to change my antifreeze before it hits 90s. What do you suggest for antifreeze over summer? I have heard there are some that should only be used in summer then switched in winter

ChrisCBX
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Regular old Prestone works great. The new formula Prestone is compatable with any other anti-freeze/coolant and is good for aluminum. When I'm lazy, I use the 50/50 premix.

Ridenaked
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I added the full fairing to my bike and it raised the bike's temps in the city with all the stop and go traffic. It started stammering a bit on acceleration. I switched to Engine Ice, no more overheating. I use it year round no problems. It is a bit pricey, but worked for me.
My .02
http://www.engineice.cc/images/home_head.jpg

Ricky
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
My bike is brand new and it was sitting at 215 in traffic on Federal last Sunday when it was about 65/70. Guys I was riding with had about the same temps...

RF900guy
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I think a better suggestion would be to find out why it is hitting that temp so soon. What is the thermostat temp? Is the cooling fan working correctly?

B_Ott
Fri Apr 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I think a better suggestion would be to find out why it is hitting that temp so soon. What is the thermostat temp? Is the cooling fan working correctly?

Fan clicks on at 223 degrees. I dont think there is an overheating problem or anything more than any other bike but I ride my bike a lot(2000 miles in 2 months) so I need it to be able to ride for hours in 90 degree weather. I would just like to be able to keep it below 200. Also not sure what temp therm. it has.

Ridenaked
Fri Apr 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
More details about your bike may help if you do have an issue, doesn't sound like you do.. It wont hurt to do a coolant change, I do know that!

"Ride More Worry Less"

mxpimp
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I use engine ice in all my bikes i found that it keeps the engine cooler than anything else.Another thing you might concider is heat wrapping your headders since the radiator is so close to them

B_Ott
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I use engine ice in all my bikes i found that it keeps the engine cooler than anything else.Another thing you might concider is heat wrapping your headders since the radiator is so close to them

I am getting some engine ice tomorrow when I pick up my clutch cable. If it doesnt work to cool the bike down I will look into heat wrapping them.

Jayock
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Water, just dont forget to change it before winter, or store it somewhere warm.