PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Motorcycle rider training MSF and beyond

pilot
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Riders,

With all the positive discussion about rider training, and sadly the recent turn of events for some of our fellow riders, it would be interesting to know the amount of training we actually have amongst our members.

Please take a moment to cast your vote (multiple selections allowed) and provide feedback about your experiences and desires regarding rider training--whether it be on or off the track.

Thank you, in advance for your support.

Ricky
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
There are many many many things that I still hold close to me from my MSF class. I am seriously considering the experienced rider course that CSC will be doing.

Mr_RC
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
when/where are the advanced street riding clinics held? I've never heard of them.

TopTier
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I've got all the MSF courses since I'm a rider coach and I also have taken an MRA race school.

I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my riding.

G35CO
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
when/where are the advanced street riding clinics held? I've never heard of them.

Check the sticky in this forum

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I attended a DDC class that was mandatory to ride on the Post back in the 70's and then an ERC back in 2005. I wasn't too excited about the ERC afterwards. They didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know or practice and it was BMW oriented. They spent more time on a couple of riders that probably shouldn't have been in the class. Last year I picked up one of the red fliers (I think it's the same school you are an instructor for, Pilot) at a dealer demo days (same that was a Fay Myers last weekend) and saw something about an Advanced Riders Class and would like to take that.

I also read and practice, especially the Total Control book. That was very helpful in how to control the sport bike.

Carl

lovinCO
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I went through the MSF basic course to get my original license, took the MRA novice school to race. I recommend both.

For on-track instruction (not necessarily for racing) I've done a Ricky school, CA Superbike School, American SuperCamp and Jason Pridmore's STAR school. I enjoyed all of them, but hands down loved Pridmore's school, it was a really fun environment to learn in. Highly recommend STAR, they come to Pueblo twice this year.

Twist of the Wrist series is my fav for reading.

slayermd
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life so that got me used to the concept of riding a street bike. My dad used to take me out to the Frontrange College parking lot and tought me there how to ride a bigger bike (Honda 600r endurance). I went through the MSF class last summer and havent looked back. I want to take the advanced calss but I dont know if I will have the pennies.

Ebbs15
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I've got the MSF course under my belt... actually I've taken the beginner course twice... once in Cali... then again in AK because they wouldn't accpet my Cali one for getting on base. Once i get to CO I'll be taking the ERC... we have to take it once every 3 years or so in the AF... I've heard some commands are moving it to a yearly requirement... (a bit excessive and expensive on the AF's side in my book... but a good benifit)

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
What I'd really like would be someone to evaluate my riding, ask the right questions, and then let me know what class I should take in order to advance in the right direction. I only have so much money to spend on classes and would like to take the ones that would be most valuable to me.

Yea, there are classes I'd like to take just because they sound like fun, but someone evaluating my riding and saying "you need to take the Total Control Advanced Class" or "the sportbike school" would be much more appreciated.

Carl

mattyboy_mamo
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I feel that the MSF Basic course is VERY beneficial for non-experienced riders, or riders who have never ridden before. I have taken the class 3 different times. Once when I was 16 years old back in Hawaii to get my permit/license, the second in Cali to get my license there, and the 3rd out here in Colorado (i took it a 3rd time cuz i got a DUI back in Cali and it wiped my endorsements clean).

I took the course at Black B.A.G. in Lakewood, and would highly recommend it. The guy that teaches it is cool as hell, and he knows his stuff. It only takes 2 days to complete the course, and the majority of the time you are out on the range rather than in the classroom, and its the cheapest course i could find! If anyone is interested, they are located next to G-Force Powersports on Colfax in Lakewood.

200sr20
Fri May 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
I took the MSF and one of my instructers was Pilot. I thought the course was great and have convinced a friend and his wife to take it.

konichd
Fri May 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
One big hole in this is track day schools. NESBA, Ricky Orlando, Star, etc. all provide excellent on track training that carries over to the street.

madvlad
Sat May 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
All I've had is the basic course and just on my own time survival with dumb car drivers out there lol.... I do plan to take an intermediate course sometime this summer

CaptGoodvibes
Sat May 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Took the BRC through my local H-D dealer in January. That was 15 years after I stopped riding after college.

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Ride. nothing more