Clovis
Fri Apr 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
See the 3rd post down!

barrett1015
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM
is there going to be a trip ?

Clovis
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Horray, the formating is finally working!

All right folks - this is 9 weeks out, get your vacation days approved! What lays before us is 1600 miles of some of the best roads, twisties and views you can imagine!

Here's a link to the preliminary route - it is subject to change so please add your feedback! This route has us traveling in three states - Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-Cxy0Blex

I would greatly appreciate input from seasoned bike travelers as this is a big undertaking.

Day 1: Ride to Durango - this is a similar route to the last Durango trip. Stay at the Iron Horse Inn for the night.

Day 2: Ride to Jacob Lake - This route takes us over the four corners. - The idea is to stay at the Jacob Lake Inn which is just north of the North Rim enterence to the Grand Canyon - Stay here for 2 nights.

Day 3 - Explore the grand canyon north rim and surrounding areas!

Day 4 - Head North and then East to Monticello, UT (400 miles) and stay the night there.

Day 5 - Ride home - the route ends in Westcliffe but people can easily depart to their final destinations prior to this.

Approximent cost - between fuel, lodging and food I would budget about $80-100 per day for this trip.You're looking at aroudn 1600 miles over 5 days, so not the hardest ride out there but still for the experienced.

Clovis / Shannon (Mrs. Clovis)

Denverbusa

Shannon may be possibly caging it depending on her comfort level on the bike come June

Clovis
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Also, I wanted to mention that while this is a group ride, everyone is doing their own ride. Ride in your comfort level, the last thing anyone wants is a crash far from home!

We'll have several way points along the route to meet up and catch up.

-Clovis

Matty
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
talk about monkey butt!!!!

VFR
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
talk about monkey butt!!!!

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Nick_Ninja
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The shit works. Wish I had used it today :cry:

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

towneh
Mon Apr 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
i have a cost-effective alternative to that expensive "monkey-butt" from the Riderwharehouse...... i own bib bike shorts because i am also a peddler :shocked:

when it is warm, I wear bib cycling shorts featuring a padded crotch covered by my one-pc stich suit. as you put on the shorts, shake a liberal amount of either baby powder (my fav) or cornstarch (not my fav).

if you find that you sweat under these condition, wear a wicking t-shirt, etc.
if you are cold, wear sweats over the shorts, etc. under the stich suit.

sitting on fabric folds leads to tender points over many miles. stand and stretch when ya need to....

bus_henry:siesta:

asp_125
Mon Apr 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Oh, you go all that way and you're not riding Hwy 12? You should!

Clovis
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
162 views and only a handful of replies. Are folks interested in doing this?

Nick_Ninja
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
162 views and only a handful of replies. Are folks interested in doing this?

Interested.

Joecycle
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Interested. Without a doubt.

Sortarican
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Very interested.:up:

Might be nice if someone wanted to cage along with a pickup for gear and emergency mechanical assistance.
(But maybe that's the old Harley rider in me talking.)

Clovis
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I do like the idea of a cager for extra gear / emergancy support. My wife, Shannon is comining but depending on how comfortable she is on her bike she'll either cage it or take it slow. Like all large CSC rides everyone rides their own ride - we'll have way points for people to catch up.

-Clov

pilot
Wed Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Oh, you go all that way and you're not riding Hwy 12? You should!BIG +1 on that.:)

http://www.roadsidevisions.com/images/utah2006/hogsback-utah-hwy12.jpg

http://www.deerspringsranch.com/boulder-king-ranch/images/hyw12-aspins.jpg

siriuschris
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm totally interested.
Funds will be the deciding factor of whether I go or not.

Clovis
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I would estimate the cost between lodging, food, and fuel to be about $100 a day, so figure $500.

jimwallace
Sat Apr 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
it sounds like an enjoyable time but my 2 kids are the deciding factor for us, so not likely we'll be going, but im definately going to have to go on another short ride with you clovis, im curios to see your progression since that ride we went on up to bishops castle right after you got your r1.

Clovis
Fri May 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I hope you're able to make it Jim!

I intend this to be a social ride with lots of picture opportunities and whatnot. It's about 1600 miles round trip and yes, you can race through it but with planning it over 5 days the idea is to take in the scenery and enjoy the trip :)

-Clovis

VailCBRider
Tue May 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone have an idea of what the temps are going to be that time of year? I'm thinkin it is gonna be hot! And if so I don't wanna be munching tires. Let me know what you guys and gals think about that?!

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Anyone have an idea of what the temps are going to be that time of year? I'm thinkin it is gonna be hot! And if so I don't wanna be munching tires. Let me know what you guys and gals think about that?!

I plan on starting the ride with a new set of tires. My tires will be fine. You can stay home and look at the photos that we post after we return.

Clovis
Tue May 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Weather should be good. Keep in mind that this is to the North Rim which is higher elevation... there is probably still snow there as of now but should be nice (high 70s, low 80s) when we get there in June.

-Clovis

VailCBRider
Wed May 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I think I'm in! I'll have to talk to the boss and confirm dates. I live in Vail anyway I can meet up with the ride in Salida?

jimwallace
Wed May 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
i think my used tires will be fine for a 1600 mile trip. if your tires are gone from that they dont belong on a bike....theyre made of eraser material.

VailCBRider
Sat May 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
It has never happened to me but I had a buddy munch a pair of tires going across the Utah Desert at 85-95 mph on a hot day. But yeah, I think my tires will be fine. =)

Sounds like fun. I'm in.

HOBBES
Sat May 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Perhaps a useful map for your trip? You really should consider UT Hwy 12.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6917&d=1203105456

Nick_Ninja
Sun May 11th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Perhaps a useful map for your trip! You really should consider UT Hwy 12.

12 is not an option but rather a priority.

Clovis
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I called the folks over at the Jacob Lake Inn - they can accomidate the 8-10 people I'm estimating. The rooms have 2 queen size beds and run $147/night. - Smoking rooms are $124/night - I can reserve 2-3 rooms and it's a 2 day cancelation policy (call ahead by 2 days for a refund).It's kind of expensive but I think its because its the only motel open close to the north rim.The Inn is 45 miles from the North Rim.The plan isDepart from Colorado Springs on Wed the 25th - Stop in Durango, CO and stay the night there.Continue to Jacob Lake adn arrive the 26th - Stay the 26th, 27th and leave on the 28th.Return home the 29th.The Jacob Lake is the only motel we'll need advanced reservations in, the other towns its pretty easy to just get a room for the night.Thoughts? I need to know soon so I can book.-Justin

Clovis
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Regretably, I have to reschedule this trip - Currently I'm looking at August but as always I'm open to date suggestions.