PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Kid

Jadam
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
This kid I work with rides his bike ALL the time. (gixr 6) It will be below freezing and he'll still ride it. Kinda nuts IMO but gotta give him respect. If they made snow chains for sport bikes I'm sure he would ride the snowy days in the winter too. How are you guys staying warm anything below freezing? I start to shiver anything below 40, which then causes my bike to shake, and that's just scary.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Fair weather rider here...if it's below 30, I'm not riding. Believe me, I respect those that do ride in all kinds, but it's just not my thing. I suppose you can dress heavier for the weather to nullify the adverse conditions, but that's a personal choice.

Look at a wind chill chart...if your at 30 degrees f and throw in 70 mph commuting and your near 9 degrees f effectively. Just not worth it to me.

http://www.mountwashington.com/weather/wind-chill-chart.png

Jadam
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I hear that, I get more tough after riding all summer when late fall comes around. Then I'll ride more in adverse weather just to squeeze the last little bit of riding out of the season that I can before having to store the bike for the winter.

rforsythe
Sun Apr 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Dress warmer! :D Well-insulated gear makes all the difference. I will also be equipping whatever bike I have with heated grips by next winter, and investing in a heated vest. Tried one of those during the Toy Run this year and was quite toasty!

gsxrscott
Mon Apr 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
I also ride year round (even in the snow) Electric gloves, vest and sleeves, insulated pants and wool socks. If not below 20 then just winter riding gloves, windproof police issue jacket and insulated pants. When it snows I take the Gpz 550 or if its really bad the Honda 50 scooter. Less horses, less wheel spin!

y_merkle
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
My husband rides all year long too. Snow, ice, rain -4 degree weather, the man doesn't care. Just puts on insulated gear. In the snow and ice he rides the Yamaha TR200 (dirt bike) for better traction. The only problem he comes across is his helmet visor fogging up. Any suggestions?

jt2589
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
My husband rides all year long too. Snow, ice, rain -4 degree weather, the man doesn't care. Just puts on insulated gear. In the snow and ice he rides the Yamaha TR200 (dirt bike) for better traction. The only problem he comes across is his helmet visor fogging up. Any suggestions?
There is this stuff called fog off. I comes in a small spray bottle. You just spray it on your visor and wipe it off. It works really good. I got alot of use out of it the beginning of this year.

y_merkle
Tue Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
There is this stuff called fog off. I comes in a small spray bottle. You just spray it on your visor and wipe it off. It works really good. I got alot of use out of it the beginning of this year.
THanks! we'll have to try that

siriuschris
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Dress warmer! :D Well-insulated gear makes all the difference.

+1

I rode all winter unless the roads were icy or had snow on em.
Think it was 9F out standing still when I left for the Toy run.
You just gotta be prepared for it.

Spooph
Tue Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/ProductDetails.cfm/ProductID/69861

This helps out a ton for cold-weather riding. I'm thinking with this, and the no-fog spray, there's nothing that could fog up that shield.

y_merkle
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
That's cool. I'll have to buy one for my husband.

Tipys
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
That's cool. I'll have to buy one for my husband.

Dirt bike Helment and googles is what i would use

keshtak
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
They make breath guards and chin curtains for Shoei helmets that have helped me a lot in the past. A good pair of gloves, boots and jacket and the wind chill and everything is pretty much non existent.

madvlad
Fri Dec 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
This kid I work with rides his bike ALL the time. (gixr 6) It will be below freezing and he'll still ride it. Kinda nuts IMO but gotta give him respect. If they made snow chains for sport bikes I'm sure he would ride the snowy days in the winter too. How are you guys staying warm anything below freezing? I start to shiver anything below 40, which then causes my bike to shake, and that's just scary.

Is this me by any chance? lol :headbang:

Dysco
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Dirt bike Helment and googles is what i would use
I would have lost my nose to frostbite doing that.

I've heard rubbing shaving cream on a visor helps with the fog- that's from a friend in Seattle.

Bueller
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Scorpion helmets come with fog proof shields that work well

Sortarican
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Scorpion helmets come with fog proof shields that work well

+1
Suprising that one of the best anti-fog visors is on one of the least expensive helmets.

Bueller
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Dirt bike Helment and goggles is what i would use:silly:
Then you would know miserable cold. That shit is ventilated to disperse heat

No doubt!

daemon
Tue Jan 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I've heard rubbing shaving cream on a visor helps with the fog- that's from a friend in Seattle.
also "dawn" dish detergent is a good fog killer.
wipe it in with your finger and use a good terri cloth rag to wipe it to a clear surface.

works well and is cheaper than anything else.

granted it only works for about a week,but hell....it's a cheap fix.
what do you expect??