PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug fouling on the Duc

DucBloke
Fri May 9th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I just had a big bore kit put in 400 miles ago with higher compression pistons. The mechanic told me that it was only running a little rich, but I fear it is much richer than acceptable. The front cylinder started to cut out after only 200 miles. The plugs were a little old, so I changed them out. After only 200 more miles I found that the front plug has fouled again badly and I lost the cylinder on my way back home, in the rain I might add. Made for a nasty trip.

Both of the front plugs are very black, were wet with oil/fuel and crusty. The back cylinder plugs actually look pretty good.

Will anyone confirm that this is a sign of the front carb running richer than the back? I have pictures of the plugs if you care to see.

Anonymous
Sun May 11th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I would think if you have oil on the plug you have other issues to deal with, namely why the oil is getting on there to begin with!

DucBloke
Sun May 11th, 2003, 08:38 PM
A little oil on the threads is normal for Ducati's, especially on the vertical cylinder.

I went ahead and pulled the carbs off for a rejet. Stage II is in and I'm now playing with the mixture. The plugs are almost the same now, with a normal slightly cooked look, rather than completely black.

Just goes to show, if you really want something done right, do it yourself. Taking your bike to a racer/mechanic means your street bike just doesn't get the attention that it should (especially in the weeks before the first MRA race).

rocktboy
Mon May 12th, 2003, 11:51 AM
well if you paid good money for your service take it back to the mechanic and show the fouled plugs in his/her face.... as simple as that....

DucBloke
Mon May 12th, 2003, 06:57 PM
complicated, but my business will be going elsewhere from now on. He really messed my bike up.[/u]