PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Tank Bags

Kaneda
Sat May 10th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a tank bag, I've never owned one before and am not sure what brand or type of fastener to go with (magnet vs strap). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

towneh
Sat May 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Tourmaster has been making soft luggage for a long time. I've got three different capacity bags with magnetic mount. i also use the tether strap as well. small adjustments can be made while on the road and fueling is easier with the magnet mount. anyway... that's my opinion.
lotsa choices out there!!! :D

DucBloke
Sun May 11th, 2003, 08:49 PM
There are several good brands. I have a Nelson-Rigs that works very well. I personally prefer the strap mounting. I put my laptop and wallet in the bag. Magnets, harddrives and credit cards just don't mix well.

If you are planning to just take clothing a magnet type is just fine and fast.

Remember to look at the saddle bags that match the tank bag you buy. You never know when you might want even more space to take a long trip. You will want everything to be the same platform if you decide to expand.

haywood jablome
Sun May 11th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Joe rocket blaster on ebay just picked one up for $29.00 plus shipping.. Look there oh yeah it was brand new also..

Kaneda
Mon May 12th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Appreciate the input all! Think I'll end up getting one of each (magnet & strap). Can see having a use for both! Thanks!!!
:D

BlueDevil
Fri May 16th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Got me a Joe Rocket mag. That thing is great. Holds a ton and wont let go. The huge one they offer for packing the kitchen sink is great too!!

Nick_Ninja
Fri May 16th, 2003, 09:26 AM
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

k1200rs
Thu May 29th, 2003, 01:05 PM
If you have a metal tank, get a magnetic bag. I have a Wolfman and its wonderful. The magnets are super strong so you dont have to fiddle with the headset strap.

I also have a Marsee for my BMW. It's a teardrop quick release, due to the plastic tank.

Anonymous
Thu May 29th, 2003, 01:17 PM
I have a Nelson Riggs magnetic bag and love it. It comes off quick when I want it to, but I've tested it to 120mph with no problems. It does have a little hook which I will probably fashion a little safety strap to just in case, but so far it's been real secure at speed.

Also FWIW I keep my wallet in there and my credit cards are still ok.

surfinspacegirl
Thu May 29th, 2003, 01:26 PM
I have a Wolfman strap bag and love it. the straps really aren't THAT much of a hassle and I found the magnet bags are really heavy. Think about size before you buy; do you just need it for carrying your wallet etc, or are you planning on touring with it? Most bags expand, or have detachable portions to change size up and down, so that's also an option.

undertwotimes
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else out there hate tank bags? I've gone on several long trips on sportbikes, and never again will I bring a tank bag for one simple reason: You can't tuck under to wind screen! This is huge on long trips/fast rides. The only nice thing about them is easy access to maps and stuff.

I do have a wolfgang bag if anyone is interested though, :). Magnetic type.

BlueDevil
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Joe Rocket has a ton of them avail and they are great. A buddy of mine and I both have them. I like it and it was pretty cheap. Dont get it retail though.

towneh
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 01:12 PM
actually, my tank bag saves my neck and back on those long, hour-after-hour road trips. :shock:

i just got back from a two day tour to Tyler and back on my RF using a Tourmaster Cortech Tri-bag Tank Bag (magnet with tether).

i hook my boots on the passenger pegs and put my chin of the Shoei on top of the tank bag. easy view of maps and gps, holds toll stubs, change, hardcandy, pen-pencil, other glasses/lenses, tp, glove collection, clear-vue bottle, finger wipers, led light, fingerlite,....... there are so many things. maybe i cheat; i've got a euroscreen! :D

indespensible imho,
henry

tmoore
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Tourmaster, magnetic.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 02:56 PM
undertwotimes wrote:

never again will I bring a tank bag for one simple reason: You can't tuck under to wind screen!

I wouldn't be caught WITHOUT my tankbag ---- obviously you are NOT a distance rider making a statement like that. If you want to avoid the wind on the road --- buy a GOLDWING :D

towneh
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 03:12 PM
jeff!!!! don't hold back on what you're feeling my friend!

:D = (lol**6)!

!comment -- yep that's a lot of laughing for a Fortran IV jam

henry

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Maybe I was too harsh on the fellow. :lol: I place tankbags / saddlebags / racks / camelbacks / GPS Systems / radar detectors / ..... well you get the idea ...... IN THE SAME CLASS AS GEAR (i.e. HELMETS AND LEATHERS (COW) :twisted:) <<< THIS IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ANY OF IT >>>

towneh
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 03:56 PM
i understand.... i'm the guy who wears the Haz-Mat suit for hours/days at a time! :o :lol: :D my insurance agent says it hurts his eyes to see me in it.... and Goldwings have reverse. :shock:

have a great day,
henry

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 04:02 PM
towneh wrote:

my insurance agent says it hurts his eyes to see me in it....

Tell him to LOWER your rates and then you will MAIL him the payment :lol: :D

and that comment:

and Goldwings have reverse.

Does this mean that the wind would always be at your back? :?

(I din't say that --- it was my evil twin :twisted: )

towneh
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 04:30 PM
excellent; i'll give those responses a rating of <<4>> stars out of 5!

evil twin???? isn't that a V-rod!

chow,
henry

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM
towneh wrote:

evil twin???? isn't that a V-rod!

Well his BEST buddies call him ROD ----- butt he told me to say that :P :twisted:

dgoldan
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I have a Nelson Riggs magnetic bag and love it. It comes off quick when I want it to, but I've tested it to 120mph with no problems. It does have a little hook which I will probably fashion a little safety strap to just in case, but so far it's been real secure at speed.

Also FWIW I keep my wallet in there and my credit cards are still ok.

I have the Nelson Rigg MG-950 as well. Speed tested to a brief 155 with no problem. Small enough not to get in the way yet large enough for a cell phone, pager, gloves, nomex hood, water bottle and wallet.

Paid only $49.95 for mine here:
http://www.amcmotorsports.net/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=109

Dan

TWISTED
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 01:03 AM
instead of buying 2 tank bags, get a tail pack also and then your set for a road trip.