PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Honda

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 03:57 PM
So I put $100 per bike down on two Kawasaki KLR650s at Aurora Honda on Friday. I recieved a reciept that this deposit was 100% refundable if there was a problem getting the titles for the 5 ex-police bikes that they recieved in trade for another bike. Today I called the shop and asked them when they expected the titles. They told me 2 weeks. Then they asked me if I was coming down today to give them the balance on the deal (~$3k). I said that it was my understanding that I wouldn't have to pay in full until they were read to transfer the titles. They basically told me that I could come pick up my deposit and they'd gladly sell the bikes to someone else if I didn't give them the rest of the cash tomorrow.

This isn't a question of money- I have it all. I'm just annoyed that I'll be "buying" 2 bikes that the dealer doesn't have titles for and I can't take posession of after the money changes hands.

Any thoughts?

1000RR
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 03:59 PM
If money is not the object, just move forward with the deal and make sure they give you a bill of sale.

rybo
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I would think that you could take possession of the bikes on a bill of sale with the understanding that the titles will be shipped when they are received. This really isn't any different than buying a brand new bike with a certificate of origin and waiting for the title. You can still get a temporary registration for the bike and use it while you wait for the title......that's my initial reaction

S

NineTwoFour
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
The problem is, as I am reading it, that Aurora Honda doesn't even have the bikes yet. They are asking him to pay in full up front, before receiving the titles OR the bikes.

I would call the State Attorney General's office on this one. Sounds pretty shady to me.

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM
The problem is, as I am reading it, that Aurora Honda doesn't even have the bikes yet. They are asking him to pay in full up front, before receiving the titles OR the bikes.

I would call the State Attorney General's office on this one. Sounds pretty shady to me.

They have the bikes. My name is on the best two. The city still has the titles.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Go get the bikes, and a bill of sales...if you have any problems you can take it to Tom Martino.

rybo
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I think it's a non issue then, pay for them and pick them up, make aurora honda give you a bill of sale and temp plates and wait for the title in the mail. possession is 9/10ths the law and you can possess the bikes without the title.

Scott

NineTwoFour
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:13 PM

They have the bikes. My name is on the best two. The city still has the titles.

Dude, undercut these MF'ers. Call the city directly and buy all five of them for what you are probably paying for the two. Then GIVE me one of them for the advice.

:D

Seriously though... if you pay in full, you need to leave the dealership with both bikes in your possession with bills of sale and all paperwork needed to get a temp tag until the title work is done.

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:15 PM
These are not new bikes. I can't legally license the bikes at all unless I (or my bank) posses the titles. Aurora Honda has made it clear that they will not let me take the bikes until the titles come in.

rybo
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Being a dealership they should be able to do the temp tags right there, no additional paperwork needed......

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM
By the way: They're selling '97 KLRs with ~5k miles for $1,500, which is pretty much a steal. They have 2 left that I know of if anyone wants one. If it wasn't such a good deal on bikes I've been looking at for 6 months, I would walk now.

aeroeone
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Actually, you don't even need a title to get a temp tag. All you need is a bill of sale and proof of ins. And they should have temp tags anyway. I know this because a. I sold my buddy my parents car and he tagged it with just a bill of sale and ins. and b. I work for a dealer.

rybo
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Strange rules.......never seen that before even on a used vehicle. Part of becoming a licensed dealership is to have the ability to provide temporary registration for vehicles and to be able to reassign titles. It shouldn't matter if the bike is new or used as long as it's purchased at a dealership.

But, it looks like they've made their rules and that is that, the question that remains is 'how badly do you want the bikes?' if you want them and it's a good deal then pay them and wait, otherwise cut and run, but it doesn't sound like you'll do them too much harm as they are probably a good buy

Scott

NineTwoFour
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:22 PM
You CAN get a temp tag on a used vehicle that you buy, even if the title isn't immediately available. I've done it several times on used cars.

What bothers me about this whole thing is that they won't let you take possession of the bikes even though you are paying them in full.

I would DEFINITELY give Ken Salazar's office a call about what they are doing.

Sweet Thang
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM
You CAN get a temp tag on a used vehicle that you buy, even if the title isn't immediately available. I've done it several times on used cars.

What bothers me about this whole thing is that they won't let you take possession of the bikes even though you are paying them in full.

I would DEFINITELY give Ken Salazar's office a call about what they are doing.

That's what I was saying too. If they have the money, there's NO reason you shouldn't be able to take the bikes home. They are doing something not quite legal. And I remember that Tim guy, actually SAYING he could put temp tags on them before any paperwork was signed.

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Well, they were very clear on the phone that I couldn't have the bikes. I'll see what I can do tomorrow since they would really look good in my garage.

1000RR
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:48 PM
They are doing something not quite legal.

Awww man. I had such high hopes for Aurora Honda. Now that Excel has pissed me off I needed a new stealership to work with.

From what it sounds like your experience with them is not altogether positive.

Dysco
Tue Sep 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM
They are doing something not quite legal.

Awww man. I had such high hopes for Aurora Honda. Now that Excel has pissed me off I needed a new stealership to work with.

From what it sounds like your experience with them is not altogether positive.

Every other experience I've had with them has been very positive. I bought my 919 there and practically lived at their parts counter for a year when I was working on my Shadow. This is just a result of the Head sales guy, Tim, being on vacation. If I were dealing exclusively with him, I'm sure I'd be fine. The trouble is they don't adverticse and they have no desire to get any bigger so they tend to sell at retail and they rarely have any wiggle room on price.

Dysco
Tue Sep 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM
My bikes are ready! The real story was that they weren't sure the city knew where the titles were and just needed to know that they were going to get processed. I would have made it much easier on them had they told me that in the first place.

Dysco
Wed Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:47 PM
BTW- 2 left at ~$1,620 w/tax. All they need is a battery and you have a runner with 5k on the clock.