PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the Power Commander for altitude...

Nobody
Sat Apr 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Before I spend the money to take my F4I down to the dyno to tune my new Power Commander PCIII USB (thanks Aracheon!), does anyone have a map saved that they could send to me? The bike is a 2002 CBR600F4I with a Yoshi RS-3 Carbon Fiber slip-on.

For anybody who's installed the Power Commander, what did you get out of it and would you recommend it for a street bike?

rider955i
Sat Apr 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM
For your bike there should be a map that is close to what you have on the dynojet.com webpage for the power commander then since you are going to do a custom map on it ne way I wouldn't worry to much about that. I would recommend one I noticed a difference in my bike, more than anything else i think it redistrubited the power into a better power band more than giving it more horsepower. I didn't do a custom map on it yet either which I should do to make it even better.

rybo
Sat Apr 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I've done this gig a few times and have to say that there is no replacement for a custom map. Every single bike is just a little different, and while you can get "close" there is a big difference between close and right. Paying a pro, like Clarkie at Epic in Longmont or Bart at Faster in Denver, to make a map for YOUR bike is worth every penny spent.

I agree with rider 955 that custom maps, while offering some potential for additional HP really smooth out throttle response and make the bike easier and more fun to ride.

Best to you!

Scott

Nobody
Sat Apr 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to install it with a "Factory DynoJet" map tomorrow and get it tuned after I get new tires. Priorities priorities...

motorep
Sun Apr 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
If you're buying a new Power Commander you'll get a cd with all the downloads that were available when the disc was burned. F4i PC3 usb is the same for 01-06, so there are probably a few hundred combinations available to you. I'd bet that your exact combination is there. If not, just find a similar one and install it. It'll run great until you get your custom map.

As to the title of your thread, your fuel injection compensates for altitude.

The_Jackel
Sun Apr 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Yes your bike will compensate for altitude but it is not any where close to what your bike at altitude wants. Take an F4I with a kn air filter, and a two brothers system, download an "exact" map from dynojet.com for that setup... At this altitude we see gains from 3hp up to an easy 8hp from a proper altitude tune, off that "exact map". Not only power gains but driveability and MPG drastically increases. Also every bike is different... every aftermarket exhaust is different (Even if its the same company!!!!) there are so many variables!! A good tune is worth its weight in gold! Period! :banghead:

Aracheon
Sun Apr 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
If you're buying a new Power Commander you'll get a cd with all the downloads that were available when the disc was burned. F4i PC3 usb is the same for 01-06, so there are probably a few hundred combinations available to you. I'd bet that your exact combination is there. If not, just find a similar one and install it. It'll run great until you get your custom map.

As to the title of your thread, your fuel injection compensates for altitude.

The maps on the CD as well as on Dynojet's website are designed for sea level conditions. They do next to jack diddly up here at altitude.

Fuel injection compensates for altitude only in the respect that the ECU strives to maintain an ideal stoichiometric A/F ratio that Honda specifies. The PCIII is a tool that lets the rider squeeze a little more power out of the available air coming in to the cylinder by adjusting the amount of fuel that's sprayed in.

motorep
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Not arguing the benefits of a custom map at all. I'm sayng that the downloaded map will get you close. It'll give better throttle response and the bike will run cooler. In addition to what's been mentioned, a custom map can tune out the decell popping.