PDA

View Full Version : new section? family guy?

jimwallace
Sun Apr 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I was just looking at the forum and it occured to me that there are sections for the girls and old folks. I am neither of these and being a young guy would normally work great but seeing as I have two little kids it does make it quite diffucult to go on the rides everyone else tends to work out. I was thinking about perhaps a new thread for those who have kids so we can work things out perhaps making more opportunity for us to ride since we tend not to be able to ride as long ect., and since we dont want to ruin rides for others we could make our own rides for us folks who dont have as long due to kids and work out our own routes ect. for our riding buddies, ie pick up and drop offs as part of riding route. or more family oriented rides with a follow along vehicles filled with wives and kids and family stops to include them in our enjoyment.

Rednarb
Sun Apr 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Not a bad idea! I'm a family guy as well.

dallas
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I freaking love that show!!!!

salsashark
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.contramovies.com/gifs/petergriffin_aaa.gif

BigE
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
As a Pop of 4...Great Idea!

Money55
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Sounds like a good idea

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
sounds good. Plus getting the little ones riding. Just getting my son who is 7 rocking a 50.

jimwallace
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
thanks for the support guys. i think this would be a big benefit to the club and all its members.

PharmerKyle
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Could we all have a seasonal ride where none of us show up because we're too tired/have kids that are sick/in the doghouse/broke?

jimwallace
Wed May 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
with 303 views and only 26 votes im beginning to wonder about club members participation values. those of you who have voted yes, no's, and maybe's. i appreciate your opinions.

jimwallace
Wed May 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Could we all have a seasonal ride where none of us show up because we're too tired/have kids that are sick/in the doghouse/broke?
thats kind of the idea behind this. the fact that we are of a different availability than others it will keep us from creating any hassle on other peoples rides and also allow us a little more opportunity to ride. plus it would send a great MESSAGE to others about the CLUB and its VALUES.

Raptor
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Might not be a bad idea. Undecided. I'm a daddy too...and full time job...and full time student. We could all chill on the IM and weep together about how we miss all the cool rides! Sweet!
Srsly tho, might not be a bad idea. I'd be reading it. The "Haha, I get to ride wheneva!" crowd would likely be clowning us but it goes with the territory. lolz

jimwallace
Wed May 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
it does go with the territory doesn't it.

jimwallace
Sat May 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
i would actually like to ask those who voted no what theyre reasoning is. dont worry im not going to argue it up and try to change your mind, i just dont see the downside so perhaps there is a valid reason i just havent thought of.

dchd1130
Sat May 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I have a 19 month old and a 4 week old. I havent ridden any of my bikes at all this season, but I still have hope. Im all for the family section. Maybe the wives could all get together to watch the kids while we go out riding :hump:.

jimwallace
Sat May 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have a 19 month old and a 4 week old. I havent ridden any of my bikes at all this season, but I still have hope. Im all for the family section. Maybe the wives could all get together to watch the kids while we go out riding :hump:.
thats would be great. who knows they could even end up liking it so much they make us go for rides on the weekends.........hey i can hope..

Suki
Sat May 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Why does it have to be family GUY, don't you think there are also MOTHERS that ride as well?

Just for that, i'm voting no. You GUYS can stay in the dog house and babysit while the WOMEN go ride.

(except for me because I'm pregnant and bikeless now. :D )

jimwallace
Sat May 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
i dont care what its called. i just put family guy to catch attention. (thats a great show). is this your first kid? im guessing so, cause if it wasnt i doubt you would vote no.

jimwallace
Sat May 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
and as for mothers that ride my wife is one (krystina) (mother of 2) and she voted yes.

dallas
Mon May 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Why does it have to be family GUY, don't you think there are also MOTHERS that ride as well?

I kinda figured there would be some touchy feely asshole to chime into this thread.

I like the concept of the "Family Guy" section, but it would be more suited to have a "Family" section where people can plan out fun events with their riding family and thier actual family, ie, kids, SO's and SOB's. I like to be close with the people I ride with and most everyone I have riden with have been to my house and have met my family. It only makes sence to have a section where I can involve both my families.

Suki
Mon May 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
lol, okay Dallas you know I'm joking and Mr. Marcellus Wallace, I'm joking so simmer down.

And no, not my first kid, but for other reasons I did vote no and here's why.

I don't think there needs to be a seperate "Family" group, mainly because a majority on this board do have families, small children, etc., which limits the times that they can ride. I think that every concern that you addressed in your first post can be met without creating a whole new section just by creating a thread that says "Family Meet and Greet at Chucky E Cheese" or with some notice to other parents "Father's Ride on blah blah date". Even if there is a whole new section just for families, you're still going to run into the same issues, having a new section isn't going to change life and family priorities.

Another thing, your location says Canyon City, another member is in Littleton, another in Centennial, there are other's in Thornton, Loveland, Aurora, Grand Junction, they're everywhere. So to me, since I'm assuming that a majority of the meet ups will happen in your metro/local area, it makes more sense to post up these family gatherings in the location sections, such as North, North-Central, South, South-Central, etc. Unless of course you're going to be somewhere else, post it there or in General.

Girls Sections were created for women/girls to post up about their womanly issues, rides, what have you without all the leg humpers jumping in and turning it into a sausage fest.

Old Farts was because, well the old farts were bitching and crying, especially Nick Ninja. :D j/k big daddy!

I get what your saying but I just think that everything you're trying to accomplish can already be done through the sections that are available, that's all.

jimwallace
Mon May 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
well firstly there is no "local" for me. you know how many other members are in canon city? zero. my wife and i go up to springs for the fri. bike nights. i knew you were joking but as you pointed out every concern can be met without a new thread for the "old guys" and the "women" so why shouldnt family folks have a thread too? i am going to try to put this so its easy to understand my reasoning. if i am planning a ride through springs up to den (for example) and i will be in spgs at 10 am and there is a guy up there who has to watch his kids till 10:30 but would really like to go on the ride i will sit my happy ass there and wait an hour for him so that he can go and i have someone to ride with. why would i do this? cause i can understand where he is coming from whereas a lot of people without kids have no clue and would not be willing to wait. its the same thing as a group of experienced riders with a noob...they dont like waiting on them....but other noobs are right there in the same basket.

Ridenaked
Mon May 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Being a newb here and a family guy, I will check out each region/thread when I get a chance to ride. Except- I am still a few months shy of the FOG club, so the noob ride will do and it sounds fun!
Personally, it will just make me have to check another thread for riders headed out. The more time I'm reading this stuff, the less time I'm riding or doing chores :banghead:.

PharmerKyle
Mon May 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Has this thread been moved to the new "Family Guy" section yet?

Suki
Mon May 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
well firstly there is no "local" for me. you know how many other members are in canon city? zero. my wife and i go up to springs for the fri. bike nights. i knew you were joking but as you pointed out every concern can be met without a new thread for the "old guys" and the "women" so why shouldnt family folks have a thread too? i am going to try to put this so its easy to understand my reasoning. if i am planning a ride through springs up to den (for example) and i will be in spgs at 10 am and there is a guy up there who has to watch his kids till 10:30 but would really like to go on the ride i will sit my happy ass there and wait an hour for him so that he can go and i have someone to ride with. why would i do this? cause i can understand where he is coming from whereas a lot of people without kids have no clue and would not be willing to wait. its the same thing as a group of experienced riders with a noob...they dont like waiting on them....but other noobs are right there in the same basket.

You and I are having a failure to communicate and that's totally fine. I don't think that another section is necessary regardless of what it's for (family, medical condition, sexual preferance, what ever). I think that whatever it is that ANY member, regardless of their marital/family status, is trying to achieve can be done so with the sections that are already provided.

As far as your example, anyone, whether if he/she has kids or not, can make that decision if they are going to wait or not, if they are going to empathize with the other person or not, or if the cost of waiting for this one person is worth the time he or she is giving up to go ride.

Like I said before, I understand your viewpoint and reasoning for wanting this section, you don't have to try and make it simpler for me to understand. You asked for feedback on those that said no, and unlike the other X many people, I'm giving it to you.

Good luck, and if you get it then I'm sure I will post in it :D

jimwallace
Mon May 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
well i would like to say thank you for your input and opinion. i do see what you are saying i just dont see the harm in adding the thread since we already have lots of "unnecessary" threads as it is, but that is my opinion and thats not what matters it is the opinion of the majority.

Suki
Mon May 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
HA! That skinny cracka ralph doesn't care what people vote, you'll have to persuade him with lavish gifts before he grants anything! lol

jimwallace
Mon May 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
ha........well i could always send him a six pack....wait you said "lavish".....okay a case.

jimwallace
Mon May 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
is that "family friendly"?

PharmerKyle
Tue May 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hypothetically, will the "16 relevant posts" rule be in effect before joining the "Family Doo-Whaa" section, like GD?

Follow up: do posts in FDW count towards GD posting cred?

I've lost count of my own, but I don't think anyone's actively enforcing this.

rforsythe
Tue May 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM
The 15 relevant posts thing was being actively enforced by the forum software, but it isn't anymore.

I'm considering the rest of this. I do accept bribes.

jimwallace
Tue May 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
what kind of bribe would you like? bud, corona, coors, ect?

dallas
Wed May 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Instead of a new section, why don't you start a Family Guy social group? You could even set yourself up as the moderator.......

rforsythe
Wed May 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm that's true, we do have the new social group feature now...

dallas
Wed May 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I R smart..........