PDA

View Full Version : 520 Conversion

CSUAdam
Tue May 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Hey do you guys think that a 520 conversion on my R6 would be worth it? I know that going from a 525 to a 520 saves some weight, and that it takes that weight of the drive train so that you have better power and all that. I'm really just wondering if it would be worth the $100 I can get all of the parts for and if I will notice any difference?

yakuza
Tue May 13th, 2003, 04:13 PM
If you retain stock gearing, I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll notice. You probably will notice decreased chain life, and if you're riding primarily on the street then it really is a toss-up.

I recently did the 520 conversion on my F4i, and I noticed a tremendous difference, however I also dropped one tooth in the front and went up 2 in the rear. I also used aftermarket sprockets, only saved an ounce or so on the front sprocket, but went from 2.4 lbs on the stock rear sprocket to approx. 13 ounces on the new Afam rear sprocket. Now that's a considerable weight savings!

I'm no expert by any means, but that's my 2 cents worth. :)

CSUAdam
Tue May 13th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it's a 520 chain with Vortex sprockets. I'm sure the new sprockets are considerably lighter than the stock ones. Its only a one tooth larger rear so that's only a little difference as far as gearing. It wouldn't be that expensive to get a 15 tooth front anyways. I guess for $100 I might give it a try, and my mom owes me a birthday gift anyways! :lol:

yakuza
Tue May 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Wow, I'm amazed you found sprockets AND chain for $100! When I was looking, I think the best price I found for the sprockets alone was about $70.

You'd probably notice a little difference from that. Just be aware that it could potentially throw your speedometer off, depending on how the R6 measures speed. On my F4i it's measure off the crank, so my speedo is now waaaay off.

Anonymous
Tue May 13th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Yep, if you change gearing you will have speedo error. Just get a yellow box and correct it.

CSUAdam
Tue May 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Oh, I didn't really think about that. Hummmmmmmmmmmm. Now I don't know if I want to do it or not.

The gearing wouldn't really be that much different though, so do you think it would be a major speedo error?

Hoopty
Tue May 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM
One tooth up on the rear won't make that much of a difference on the speedo.

jwimbauer
Wed May 14th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Yep, if you change gearing you will have speedo error. Just get a yellow box and correct it.

:roll: Now, I know why Nicky went a 178mph on the banking of Nashville (gearing was a 15/47) ....

Jurgen

DucBloke
Wed May 14th, 2003, 03:39 PM
You will only have speedo error if the speed is calculated off of the engine. Most bikes calculate off of the wheel rotation. In this case you can change the gears all you like and the speedo remains the same.

Anonymous
Wed May 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM
You will only have speedo error if the speed is calculated off of the engine. Most bikes calculate off of the wheel rotation. In this case you can change the gears all you like and the speedo remains the same.

Negative, ghostrider. Most bikes calculate the speed based on the rotation of the final gear output. That's directly tied to wheel rotation, but if you change the gears, the shaft spins faster. The signal, at least on newer bikes, is then sent as electrical pulses to the speedo. This is why the yellow boxes are so popular, as they can take that electrical signal and "adjust" it to a corrected value that you manually set.

Big-J
Wed May 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM

So do you know what bikes calculate off the engine???

Bryce
Wed May 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM
almost all new bikes pull the signal off the countershaft in a nutshell if your bike is even somewhat modern gearing will screw up the speedo

BladeRider
Thu May 15th, 2003, 01:56 PM
almost all new bikes pull the signal off the countershaft in a nutshell if your bike is even somewhat modern gearing will screw up the speedo

Unless you have an Aprilia (like I do) which runs a speedo sensor off the rear brake rotor bolts. Then it's not a problem unless you put the wrong type of bolts in there. 8)

Tom

yakuza
Thu May 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Do your speedo's go negative? I've had the digital speedo on my F4i down to -5mph rolling backwards down a driveway, that was kinda scary actually, hehe. :)

Anonymous
Thu May 15th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Do your speedo's go negative? I've had the digital speedo on my F4i down to -5mph rolling backwards down a driveway, that was kinda scary actually, hehe. :)I never noticed. I back out of my driveway (and it's a downhill slope), but not that fast, and I'm not usually looking at my speedo :D

BladeRider
Fri May 16th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Alex, I've never tried 5mph backwards on any bike. If I had one of those new Goldwings I could put it in reverse and try backing up. :D

Tom

Goldmember
Mon May 19th, 2003, 03:32 PM
[quote]Yep, if you change gearing you will have speedo error. Just get a yellow box and correct it.

So where dya get a "Yellow Box"? (There's a punchline here, but I ain't touchin' that) :lol

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 19th, 2003, 03:35 PM
It used to be http://www.blackrobotics.com/ but that site doesn't seem to work anymore.

Anonymous
Mon May 19th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Yeah their site does appear to be down, doesn't it... Hrm, hope it's temporary!

If not, just wait til Barn leaves and steal the yellow box off his R1, it's not like he's using it! :lol: