PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get plated?

AshliRider44
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I am in the process of getting my bike titled registered and plated and this site has everything you need to bring to the DMV office. Just in case anyone else was wanting to do the same thing!
http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motorcycle-registration.php

SupermotoMJ
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Good looking out! what are you going to get tittled? It would be fun to tittle my Sumo it gets like 10 times better gas mileage thank my CBR..
But I don't think they would consider my slicks dot approved hehe gotta have the sticky icky!

AshliRider44
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Good looking out! what are you going to get tittled? It would be fun to tittle my Sumo it gets like 10 times better gas mileage thank my CBR..
But I don't think they would consider my slicks dot approved hehe gotta have the sticky icky!

The CRF250X Hoopty just got for me, its bad ass!! Blows my XR200 away!! Super nice being able to get the front wheel off the ground in second gear :lol: the XR was a tad bit more difficult :banghead:

Can't wait till Rampart opens up! :hump:

gsxrscott
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
You fill out the certificate of compliance ( the piece of paper that says your tires are DOT, have horn, mirror and such ) YOURSELF! I'm not saying do anything illegal, but the only person that sees the bike is for the VIN verification.

SupermotoMJ
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hmm.. How do they do a VIN verification on a dirtbike? I'f your bikes not registered whats that gonna do?

AshliRider44
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
:dunno: I'm going to the DMV today or tomorrow so I'll let you know what happends :)

gsxrscott
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hmm.. How do they do a VIN verification on a dirtbike? I'f your bikes not registered whats that gonna do?
It should have a VIN number on it, it doesn't matter if it has been registered or not. If you don't have a VIN then you can get a Colorado assigned VIN for it.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I believe emissions places can do a VIN verification, though I am not 100% on that. I'm about to find out though, at least once I get the various bouncy and rolly parts back for the 4-hundy from irdave. May as well plate it, insurance is cheap and it may have some urban assault uses. :twisted:

Beyond that the DMV doesn't care about the bike. They will give you a plate on paperwork alone, just like any other vehicle. Now if it's lacking basic street legal parts the cops might have something to say about it, but at least it'll be legal from a documentation standpoint.

InlineSIX24
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
So what good trails would you want to be plated for around CO.? Are there many where you couldn't drive up to the trail head and get away w/ the OHV stickers and which would they be?

AshliRider44
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
So what good trails would you want to be plated for around CO.? Are there many where you couldn't drive up to the trail head and get away w/ the OHV stickers and which would they be?

Rampart for us is the main reason, since we like to get off trails then ride on the road to a different trail head. You can always get away without plates there but especially when its getting dark and if I don't want to ride the trail back I can just take the road back to camp. Maybe once I get used to riding at night it will be different but its definitely nice. Rainbow falls and woodland park too if you want to get to different areas you have to get on roads. As for Moab and Grand Junction, where we'll be going this year to ride, I dont know if you need it that often, it just seems like its good to have and not hard to get. :)

InlineSIX24
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Good info. I was hoping to get away w/ not doing it, but maybe I'll decide to go that route.

SupermotoMJ
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
so you can get a vin verification without a tittle?
this would save tons of gas..

AshliRider44
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM

I just filled out the forms and called the DMV they said to bring them in with a bill of sale and theyd give me registration and a plate/tags. I guess I should call back about that form specifically. :dunno:

gsxrscott
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yes I just had Rocky Mountain Cycle here in the Springs do one on two bikes that I have no title for. It just says that that is the number on the bike.

BrokenR1
Fri May 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I plated my 98 YZ250. It never had a title before. I filled out the compliance paper myself and had a Dodge dealership do the VIN verification since it was free. That was it.

Also for some more info...
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622230

SupermotoMJ
Fri May 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
super sweet, thanks guys I'm going to get with my dealership and see if they can hook me up.. It will be a fun ride to work and getting around 50 mpg sure wont hurt the pocketbook either +1

Chris
Sun May 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Harley dealer next to Grand prix did my VIN verification for free btw.