PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing SV Knock!

slayermd
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have searched everywhere (Sv forums etc...) about the clutch rattle and have found little info. Basically what happens is when I engage the clutch in neutral (lever in) I can hear a knocking noise which goes up to 3000rpm if I rev it. When I let the clutch out (lever out) the sound goes away.

Just wondering what to do about it, or what other SV owners have done. Thanks.

Rednarb
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I have not experienced that symptom. Have you checked on svrider.com?

slayermd
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have not experienced that symptom. Have you checked on svrider.com?

I have not checked that yet, thanks for the tip. But if I'm not mistaken, the knock only really effected the 2003+ SV1000's and not the 650's.

King Nothing
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
SVs make a lot of noise. They just do. I *THINK* it may have something to do with the myriad of moving parts in/around the motor.

slayermd
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
A lot of noise huh? If thats the case, then I will stop worrying about it.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
If you're really worried about it, take it down to Faster or TFOG and have them take a look.

Joecycle
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
WOW! So it may not be the voices in my head playing with hammers and rattles?

I have an '03 SV650 and I heard a TON of noises. Sometimes they concern me, other times I just say it's what it is.
I noticed the other day how when I engage the clutch at idle/neutral a rattle goes away.

Slayer? you going to the meet and greet tonight? I'll be there and we can compare noises. May make us feel better knowing it's "normal".

Doron&Katie
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
What King Nothing said! My '03 1000 makes that noise but it's normal. Get some louder exhaust pipes and don't worry.

slayermd
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What King Nothing said! My '03 1000 makes that noise but it's normal. Get some louder exhaust pipes and don't worry.

I already have Yosh RS-3's!!!!!:hump:

WOW! So it may not be the voices in my head playing with hammers and rattles?

I have an '03 SV650 and I heard a TON of noises. Sometimes they concern me, other times I just say it's what it is.
I noticed the other day how when I engage the clutch at idle/neutral a rattle goes away.

Slayer? you going to the meet and greet tonight? I'll be there and we can compare noises. May make us feel better knowing it's "normal".

This is really making feel better. I guess I am still getting used to the in's and out's of the bike. And joe, I wont be able to make it today, going to ride my other two wheeled beauty (my BMX bike).

Jason ON
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
The KNOCK (http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12283&highlight=knock)

My '05 has never knocked. yay!

slayermd
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The KNOCK (http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12283&highlight=knock)

My '05 has never knocked. yay!

I have read that already, well about 3 pages worth then it kinda got off topic.

We SV owners need to get together and compare noises, and I guess we can ride too :)

King Nothing
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Put some Rotella in there and you'll be good to go.

wulf
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
never had a problem with either of my sv650's

King Nothing
Wed Apr 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
never had a problem with either of my sv650'sMe neither. SV's make noise. They just do.

Joecycle
Thu May 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Put some Rotella in there and you'll be good to go.

Que? What's Rotella?

slayermd
Thu May 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
Que? What's Rotella?

Its Shell oil. (http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn2_0_0.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/dir_products08.html) Im guessing you can get it at any Shell gas station?

Jason ON
Thu May 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
I have read that already, well about 3 pages worth then it kinda got off topic.

We SV owners need to get together and compare noises, and I guess we can ride too :)

They have a gazillion topics about the knock on there. I think that's just the "final" one, mainly because after the '03 models, it wasn't a big issue -- Suzuki appeared to address the problem in the '04 models and beyond.

TheStig
Thu May 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
My sv goes vraaaaaaaam...vraaaaaaaam!

Yeah I dont have that noise :)

slayermd
Thu May 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
They have a gazillion topics about the knock on there. I think that's just the "final" one, mainly because after the '03 models, it wasn't a big issue -- Suzuki appeared to address the problem in the '04 models and beyond.

I've read a bit more on that thread. Some good info once you get past the RC stuff.

My sv goes vraaaaaaaam...vraaaaaaaam!

Mine too!

Well, from what I have read I have came to the conclusion that it is a clutch rattle, but then again I am not a mechanic. I am basing this off the fact that it only makes noises with the clutch in etc.... So anyway, time to ride!

Humbucker
Tue May 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
If I don't hear that I would get worried. Really a great bike!

http://www.sv-portal.com/?styleid=5

Look at that site link and search on the clutch rattle thread it has a lot of info. If ya haven't been there yet.